Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 09:28 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times

Advertisements

Nowadays you do stand a HUGE chance of getting sent to a war zone. If you enlist in the air force you can apply for OTS to become an officer. If you can't get into OTS and go enlisted, I believe you can become an E-3 which I believe is still an A1C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 03:29 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
As you have a degree, make sure you talk to an officer recruiter for each branch first or at least before you sign anything to enlist. I know with the Marines it's mandated that everyone with a degree or enrolled in college is screened by the officer selection team, but am not sure if it's that way with every branch. Don't listen to any hogwash anyone might tell you'll make a better officer and get more respect from enlisted if you are enlisted first. You'll get respect by taking care of your troops and listening to your NCOs.
As an enlisted man (who has a college degree btw), I pretty much have to agree with this. Some of the worst officers I've had were prior enlisted. Some good ones were too. Officers who take care of their troops are respected, regardless of background. Based on what you have said, I think you'd fit in best as an officer in a technical field. Like the other posters have said, talk to recruiters from all branches.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:45 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbackhippie View Post
sour grapes
Yeah pretty obvious.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:40 PM

572 posts, read 1,299,286 times
Go OTS.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:03 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,329,732 times
Just FYI- for the Air Force, of QUALIFIED APPLICANTS who meet ALL of the requirements, the selection rate for officer is under 10% this year.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:03 PM

3 posts, read 15,177 times
all the certifications and classes you take in the military, are they useful in civilian careers or would all that be wasted once you get out?

Old 10-25-2012, 04:13 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitelyechos View Post
all the certifications and classes you take in the military, are they useful in civilian careers or would all that be wasted once you get out?
Anything you learn in life should not be wasted...

The military can be what you make of it. You can benefit or you can waste your own time... Your question is really almost impossible to answer. When I retired in 1990, I started a job using my previous skills and experience and added college classes and maturity. I was able to earn enough to fully retire at age 52.

Rich

Old 10-25-2012, 05:32 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
I joined the military after graduating college with a BS in Business, got a MS in Electrical Engineering in the Navy, after 20 years retired and worked in the civilian world as an Aeronautics Engineer. Retired with two nice pensions.

One of my sons joined military with MS in Biology, received two additional MS' in military, unrelated to his original degree, and now works in intel field.

Suggest you take advantage of all educational opportunities the military has to offer. There are great benefits to be derived.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:48 PM

3 posts, read 15,177 times
ok back to what submariner on the first page said:
Quote:
As a GS-3 [for example] they will pay for you to attend courses to get certifications. As your collection of certs grows, you can keep applying for other positions up to 2 pay-grades higher. Once selected your then in that position [GS-5], taking more courses, and applying for GS-6 and 7 openings. I once worked with a GS-15, it was funny the trail that he had followed of completely different fields of work.
so the different certifications you need to advance in rank and pay or move to another position, are they likely to be things you can put on a civilian resume and be transferable in a related civilian field or do most civilian employers ignore military certifications as not relevant?

Old 10-25-2012, 09:37 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,301,258 times
You might have a hard time getting into OTS if you haven't had any employement in 4 years, but it's certainly worth a shot.

If you apply for the Air Force and the Navy, you'll have to take a test that is similiar to the SAT, but also involves questions pertaining to aircraft.

I'm not sure about the Army, but the Marines will require you to take the ASVAB, but it is of little importance. The Marines care more about whether or not you can run 3 miles in 18 minutes, do 20 dead hang pullups, and 100 crunches in 2 minutes.

If you cannot do any of these things, your chances of becomming a Marine officer are slim to none. Last I checked officer canidates were averaging around 290 out of 300 possible points on their PT scores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues