U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 06:45 AM

645 posts, read 1,284,526 times

Advertisements

Which branch is the better branch? For one, I don't have any children, and can't swim, but the Coast Guard sounds very challenging to me that is why i'm leaning more towards that branch more, because I love a challenge. However, the National Guard seems to have the better benefits, but overall which branch is the better branch? What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 07:22 AM

25,210 posts, read 41,196,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesprecious09 View Post
Which branch is the better branch? For one, I don't have any children, and can't swim

but overall which branch is the better branch? What say you?
Neither is better...

Why did you ignore the other services? They are all challenging.

You know whats neat about the military? You learn to never say never. You can't swim? No problem, you can be taught if need be.

You thinking about the Air National Guard or the Army National guard?

You should talk to all the recruiters...

For me the U.S. Army, 22+ continuous active duty years worked out well for me.

Rich

Old 02-28-2011, 09:51 AM

645 posts, read 1,284,526 times
^^Thank You.

The Army National Guard. And my husband is in the army, and he isn't doing too bad. Also, the Navy and Airforce I thought about as well, but AF has a cutoff age of 27 if you want to join FullTime

Old 03-02-2011, 05:49 PM

804 posts, read 2,476,955 times
There were several people in boot camp when I went that could not swim. I would suggest you get private lessons and get a idea of how to swim before going to boot camp and it will make life easier. I am talking Coast Guard by the way...
Everybody has their own niche they fit into. I am Active Duty Coast Guard as we speak but will be getting out soon to go full time at a Police Department. I thought the USCG may be my 'niche' but it isnt. It is great for some and not so great for others.
I would recommend talking to a few different recruiters for the same service, you generally get two stories from two recruiters in the same service.. It is not intentially or a 'lie' but everyone sees jobs in the Coast Guard differently and has different experiences. Look through the 'glory' and try to see what day to day life is like for someone on Active Duty.
You said your husband is in the Army. That right there to me would be enough not to enlist in the Coast Guard. Chances are you will not be living near each other while you are enlisted, but if that is what you want then go for it..

Old 03-02-2011, 07:36 PM

469 posts, read 957,045 times
I've heard coast guard spends a lot of time just changing buoys and whatnot if you are lower level. National guard usually gets deployed, but probably only once and then you basically get full military benefits without really being in the military. At least this has been the experience of several of my friends.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:41 PM

25,210 posts, read 41,196,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinbama View Post
National guard usually gets deployed, but probably only once and then you basically get full military benefits without really being in the military.
That's really not accurate... Depends on a lot, first of all what unit you are in, your MOS, Etc... I think we went through this once before in this forum.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:05 PM

3 posts, read 31,837 times
Agreed. Not knowing how to swim shouldn't discourage you. I'd recommend talking to recruiters in all branches to get an idea which one fits in with the skills you already have and the skills you want to acquire.

I actually do some work with the National Guard and since you said you had some interest you might want to check out their new application - EPIC (My National Guard Experience). You get a chance to some cool music and visuals to create a personalized music video. Just choose a theme and focus. What's even cooler is because it is linked through your Facebook account it pulls in your name and pictures to make it a more personalized video.

If you go that route you can get an idea of what kind of missions you may be asked to be a part of.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:11 PM

1,667 posts, read 8,356,707 times
Quote:
I've heard coast guard spends a lot of time just changing buoys and whatnot if you are lower level....
Oh, Woe! You know I'm going to chime in on this one. Buoys have to be perfectly placed. If they're off 10 feet, a ship could run aground and break. There's nothing lower level about the crew that places and maintains them. In my CG career, I've placed buoys, worked aircraft, search and rescue, radar surveillance, law enforcement... I'd never experience lower level, except in boot camp. After that I was a life-saver, just like the other 45,000 active duty, not counting auxilliary, etc. All members of the seven uniformed services are upper level and should be very proud.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:42 AM

2,790 posts, read 5,690,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
Oh, Woe! You know I'm going to chime in on this one. Buoys have to be perfectly placed. If they're off 10 feet, a ship could run aground and break. There's nothing lower level about the crew that places and maintains them. In my CG career, I've placed buoys, worked aircraft, search and rescue, radar surveillance, law enforcement... I'd never experience lower level, except in boot camp. After that I was a life-saver, just like the other 45,000 active duty, not counting auxilliary, etc. All members of the seven uniformed services are upper level and should be very proud.
Yeah, I've got to go to task on this one, too. Near the end of boot camp, you will be given a list of all the openings available to you. You rank your top 10 or 20 choices and the Coast Guard tries to place you in one of your top 5. At commencement exercises, the cadet's posting is read along with his/her name. At my son's graduation, one or two from his company were going to the Eagle, some were going directly to OCS or A school training. Some went to small boat stations for ATN/S&R, like my son, and some probably went to bouy tenders. They chose that either because they wanted to work with bouys and lighthouses or they wanted to be in a particular location and that was what was available.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:17 PM

804 posts, read 2,476,955 times
Quote:
I've heard coast guard spends a lot of time just changing buoys and whatnot if you are lower level. National guard usually gets deployed, but probably only once and then you basically get full military benefits without really being in the military. At least this has been the experience of several of my friends.
It all depends on what kind of station you are at. Buoy tenders work buoys and guys at Small Boat Stations, like me, run Search and Rescue, Law Enforcement and about anything else they can think of to send us out it seems...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
Yeah, I've got to go to task on this one, too. Near the end of boot camp, you will be given a list of all the openings available to you. You rank your top 10 or 20 choices and the Coast Guard tries to place you in one of your top 5. At commencement exercises, the cadet's posting is read along with his/her name. At my son's graduation, one or two from his company were going to the Eagle, some were going directly to OCS or A school training. Some went to small boat stations for ATN/S&R, like my son, and some probably went to bouy tenders. They chose that either because they wanted to work with bouys and lighthouses or they wanted to be in a particular location and that was what was available.
Now I do not claim to know it all but I have not heard of anyone going from a E-2 in boot camp directly to OCS.. I could be wrong but sure seems it would be very very few and far in between who have very high qualifications to make that jump..
The recruits find out where they are stationed a few weeks before graduation. The exact time depends on their Company Commanders and a few other factors. But they do fill out a wish list and usually it is just that a wish. Talking with the new guys from boot at our station I have not had one who had this station on his list, or anything close to it for that matter. As for me I got my number one choice out of boot camp and then again our of A school so I guess I was lucky. I was the only one in my boot camp company and our sister company (something like 125 people) to get their number one pick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues