U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2011, 01:16 PM

1,229 posts, read 2,549,980 times

Advertisements

More Pentagon boilerplate:

News from The Associated Press (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_MILITARY_DIVERSITY?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLAT E=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-03-07-14-13-24 - broken link)

Quote:
By PAULINE JELINEK
Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A new report says the U.S. military is too white and too male at the top and needs to change recruiting and promotion policies, including its ban on women in combat.

The report ordered in 2009 by Congress calls for greater diversity in military leadership so it will better reflect the racial, ethnic and gender mix in the armed forces and in American society.

Sent to the president and lawmakers on Monday, the report says that 77 percent of senior officers in the active duty military are white, while only 8 percent are black, 5 percent are Hispanic and 16 percent are women. One barrier that keeps women from the highest ranks is their inability to serve in combat units.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 01:50 PM

14,693 posts, read 22,468,440 times
I'm not saying that anyone should be discriminated against when it comes to leadership promotions but why does military leadership need to reflect greater diversity? Servicemembers all have the same mission, regardless of what their color, creed or gender is.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:19 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,976,583 times
The culture is at war with white males.

Check out commercials, movies, tv shows. Often you see the white male portrayed as: inept, stupid, sex maniac, murderer, philanderer, etc. Then, you will see some petite woman beating the stuffing out of some white male.

It is a pathetic situation, but a growing one.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:00 PM

1,667 posts, read 8,152,605 times
I know some stations search for non-white candidates for whatever reason but, I've never given a damn what color or gender my Commander was, as long as that Commander is capable. Prior to people making a big deal about it, the millitary is the most unprejudiced and tolerant group one will ever experience. Those that worry about women or homosexuals or African Americans in the military probably never served anyway. I just disregard their rhetoric and hope they'll go away soon.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:37 PM

30,750 posts, read 16,981,458 times
It's their OWN damn fault......

When a promotion happens in the senior Enlisted grades....E-6 to E7 and through E-9,

Everything that has ANYTHING to do with race/ethnicity should be removed from the promotion packet....no GENDER, no RACE and damn sure NO picture....

Who cares what race/ethnicity you are, as long as you can do your job...this is provided in your NCOERs....

Who cares what Gender you are, as long as you can do your job...this is provided in your NCOERs....

Who cares what your picture looks like.....

I know, the saying...they must match your picture up to your ERB...BS I say....who cares what you wear on your greens/blues.....you don't have to wear everything anyway....Awards anyway..but that seems to be the big deal....

Sorry, but this has always pissed me off, the ENTIRE enlisted promotion system....nothing but a bunch of BS and to much show and NO-GO....

Before you complain, I did retire as a Senior NCO (E-7)....So i know what I'm talking about....

Old 03-13-2011, 09:06 AM

3,647 posts, read 9,311,633 times
oH PLEASE!

The military already has a form of "Affirmative Action" and yet STILL not enough minoritites and women are being promoted? How wonderful that soon the color of your skin or the type of sex organs you were born with will be the ONLY consideration when it comes to rank/promotion/pay.

I feel safer already.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:40 PM

10,149 posts, read 18,131,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
The culture is at war with white males.

Check out commercials, movies, tv shows. Often you see the white male portrayed as: inept, stupid, sex maniac, murderer, philanderer, etc. Then, you will see some petite woman beating the stuffing out of some white male.

It is a pathetic situation, but a growing one.

Quit crying. By paying lip service to women and non whites in such trivial things as television shows white males are free to concentrate on maintaining REAL power in business and government. Which they are doing quite well, thank you.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:04 PM

1,229 posts, read 2,549,980 times
My take is it's no small wonder why the U.S. needs a massive army of contractors overseas in order to accomplish the mission. Far as I'm concerned it appears the combat units in the Army and Corps are where one will find at least some semblance of appreciation for merit.

Folks with skills but who want nothing to do with the social experimentation nonsense are better of becoming contractors making six figures, than over-worked, under-paid babysitters.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:12 PM

10,149 posts, read 18,131,294 times
Contractor; isn't that a euphemism for mercenary?

Old 03-16-2011, 09:59 AM

1,446 posts, read 3,022,159 times
This is stupid.

The only reason it's so white and male is because the military protects its own so well so Al-Queda(or any enemy) can't print trading cards with their heads on it.

Now if we were in a large scale war in which the entire Pentagon was taken out and the leadership was still mostly White & Male in the aftermath, then maybe, just maybe I'd think discrimination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues