Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 11:11 AM

46,278 posts, read 27,088,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
I think there should be a period of mandatory civil service of 2-3 yrs following high school for purely social reasons. Even a Starship Trooper-esque (book, not movie) thing would be cool. It would never happen, or rather something catastrophic would have to happen for it to happen. So though, I'd like it, I don't want it.

I believe it would be beneficial in creating a better understanding, investment/ownership, and appreciation of the Government and military.
Exactally, 2 years min....for all males after high school.

Woman would have a choice, maybe put a little responsibility in these kids now-a-days....

Old 03-14-2011, 12:54 PM

139 posts, read 380,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Exactally, 2 years min....for all males after high school.

Woman would have a choice, maybe put a little responsibility in these kids now-a-days....

hahaha

Old 03-14-2011, 03:50 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
A professional army such as we now have gives the government more flexibilty to fight nasty little wars that don't have the backing of the electorate.

Some think this is good and some think it's bad. In any event I don't think the government wants to give up that flexibility. If we did return to conscription it would probably be beneficial to establish a force of foreign troops in our employ, like the French Foreign Legion. These troops could be used as cannon fodder for small wars that need fighting but wouldn't be politically possible with draftees; that is a role of the Foreign Legion in French policy.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:52 PM

134 posts, read 302,457 times
The Légion Étrangère is open to foreigners, but it is not a foreign mercenary unit. (As you said: 'a force of foreign troops in our employ'.)

The officers are French and about 24% of the enlisted men are French nationals, too. It's an elite military unit and its training and capability are comparable to Special Forces units from other countries. - Hardly 'cannon fodder for use in small wars'.

Do the US Armed Forces no longer accept foreign enlisted personnel and grant them US citizenship after a period of service?

Old 03-14-2011, 05:24 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,897,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert_Baehr View Post
The Légion Étrangère is open to foreigners, but it is not a foreign mercenary unit. (As you said: 'a force of foreign troops in our employ'.)

The officers are French and about 24% of the enlisted men are French nationals, too. It's an elite military unit and its training and capability are comparable to Special Forces units from other countries. - Hardly 'cannon fodder for use in small wars'.

Do the US Armed Forces no longer accept foreign enlisted personnel and grant them US citizenship after a period of service?

Only if they already have a green card/residency.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:40 PM

Thanks.

Does that mean that Puerto Ricans, Guamians and Filipinos can no longer join the US forces? (Serious question)

Old 03-14-2011, 07:28 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,897,872 times
Quote:
Thanks.

Does that mean that Puerto Ricans, Guamians and Filipinos can no longer join the US forces? (Serious question)

US protectorates can. They are part of the US, just not States. For the Marine Corps I know for a fact we have recruiting stations on Guam and Puerto Rico.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:33 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Quote:

Thank you for the up to date information. I was under the impression that the French sometimes use the Legion for situations in former colonies where use of regular French troops would have political ramifications absent when using the Legion but I'm thinking of a couple of decades back. Is this no longer true?

In any event it would be beneficial to have a foreign force in our employ if we go to a draft. One needs cannon fodder to implement policy and the American people have adopted a sentimental attitude towards our own professional soldiery (I think induced by guilt over Viet Nam War draftees), imagine what they'd have for draftees. Can one still hire Swiss by the thousands?

Old 03-14-2011, 10:05 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Topic of this thread is "Reinstating the Draft?"

Let's stay on topic.

If you wish to start a thread, please do, and in the appropriate forum...

Thanks in advance.

Rich

Old 03-14-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Topic of this thread is "Reinstating the Draft?"

Let's stay on topic.

If you wish to start a thread, please do, and in the appropriate forum...

Thanks in advance.

Rich
I did. - It's here.

I don't know how to 'copy over' posts ... but I'll try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues