U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 08:54 PM
o_4 o_4 started this thread

28 posts, read 74,049 times

Advertisements

I'm joining the usaf and I made a 60 on my asvab. I've been out of school for awhile and I was nervous. I wanted to take it again bur my recruiter advised me not to and that I have really good job options.... I want a good job but not only that I want a job that will benefit me when I get out of the service.... I'm interested in airfield management, client systems, operations intelligence, space systems operations, fire protection, engineering, readiness, and financial. I don't know the jobs in great detail just a brief overview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 09:29 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,889,033 times
Find out if your 60 ASVAB score was in General, Administrative, Mechanical or Electronics, then go here to see exactly what jobs you qualify:
Air Force Enlisted Job Categories - Menu

Also, keep in mind that the job you get depends on the needs of the Air Force. Regardless of how high you score, if the Air Force is overmanned for that particular job, they will not place you in it.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:51 AM

26 posts, read 90,292 times
I am a First Sergeant in the Air Force. Dont place too much on your ASVAB scores. They are important but the needs of the Air Force do come first. Regardless if you are going to do your 4-6 years, and get out or if you want to go 20 take advantage of the benefits that the Air Force has to offer regardless of your job. I started off my career 22 years ago as a cook. I had a choice between that and a cop. Good ASVAB scores but thats all that I had to chose from at that time. My advice is to get in, keep your nose clean, and your career path with be successful regardless of the initial job that you get. After a few years you will have crosstraining opportunities, and as you make rank you can pursue special duty assignments. Good luck.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:44 PM

1,881 posts, read 4,942,093 times
I have been in 10 years and I have loved every minute of it. You can change jobs at certain points in your career and have a new AFSC or do a special duty. Some people change jobs multiple times through their career to get wide experiences.

Good luck and you will love it!!

Old 03-12-2011, 09:51 PM

204 posts, read 679,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnphil29 View Post
I started off my career 22 years ago as a cook. I had a choice between that and a cop.
\

You too? In 1980 my choices were 1. Cook 2. Parachute Packer 3. Cop 4. AMMO (Munitions). I chose AMMO (a "mechanical" career field). All my ASVAB scores were in the gutter EXCEPT mechanical - I scored a 94. Fast forward 15 years. I re-took the ASVAB (they throw out your original scores which is a big help if you're trying to cross-train). All my scores improved significantly EXCEPT mechanical - I scored another "94."

Quote:
My advice is to get in, keep your nose clean, and your career path with be successful regardless of the initial job that you get. After a few years you will have crosstraining opportunities, and as you make rank you can pursue special duty assignments.
\

Sound advice. Take the high road and opportunities will arise.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:43 PM

when do you find out what they need? I already have looked over the jobs with my recruiter and have seen what I qualify for.... They haven't told me what jobs they need though at least not yet....

Old 03-13-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I have been in 10 years and I have loved every minute of it. You can change jobs at certain points in your career and have a new AFSC or do a special duty. Some people change jobs multiple times through their career to get wide experiences.

I'm ready to go! Just a little nervous but that won't stop me.... I just want to make sure I will get the best I can get out of it....

Old 03-13-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post

Quote:
I am a First Sergeant in the Air Force. Dont place too much on your ASVAB scores. They are important but the needs of the Air Force do come first. Regardless if you are going to do your 4-6 years, and get out or if you want to go 20 take advantage of the benefits that the Air Force has to offer regardless of your job. I started off my career 22 years ago as a cook. I had a choice between that and a cop. Good ASVAB scores but thats all that I had to chose from at that time. My advice is to get in, keep your nose clean, and your career path with be successful regardless of the initial job that you get. After a few years you will have crosstraining opportunities, and as you make rank you can pursue special duty assignments. Good luck.

thank you, I'm thinking I would like to make it a career. My mother in law has been in for awhile she is a senior master sargent I believe.... She loves it and is doing well. You know I just make the best decisions that I can. It took me awhile to decide to do this but I'm ready. Now, they still have not looked at my college transcripts yet.... I only have two years just about but will that help me any?

Old 03-13-2011, 01:51 PM

26 posts, read 90,292 times
Yes

Your transcripts will help you with your starting rank. For example instead of starting off as an Airman basic you may have enough credit to begin as an A1C after basic training. Find out from your recruiter on the details. A little pay boost. Throughout your career you will have educational opportunities so definitely keep tabs on your college credits. As soon as you complete your upgrade training at your first duty station you can start taking college courses. I am pursuing my bachelors degree right now. So take advantage of the educational opportunities.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:16 PM

5,520 posts, read 6,118,671 times
There can be a lot more to it than scores, especially long term.
Really if you want to do well and turn your AF experience into the future you need to try to get into something that you are both
good at and like
- otherwise you'll be miserable and your career, mil or civ will suffer.
What types of things are you good at? What do you like?
Other things to consider....some fields will only lend themselves to a future as a government employee doing the same thing - which ties you to certain Air Force bases or Washington D.C.
If you don't think you want to make the AF a career, and or at some point want to move to an area that isn't Washington DC or a handful of other AF bases - you need to pick something that you can do anywhere.
For example, you can be a cop or EMT anywhere. I'm not sure what engineering readiness is but maybe its something that is related to city works like disaster preparedness? Civil engineering and Prime Beef teams can be pretty cool. Intelligence is mostly Wash DC and a spare handful of other places. Space operations is a very few places (are you good a math and spatial relationships?).
Do you mind going to college during or after a tour or two? EMT helps with a nursing career, etc.
I'm assuming that you've discussed security clearances with your recruiter if your considering space ops or intelligence? Be aware, those are career fields that will have you inside a building with no windows for the rest of your life. Conversely I've seen a lot of crew chiefs (which I think is a great job for gear heads who love airplanes) cross training from that at some point because they get tired of working outside in bad weather and its physically demanding, others stay with it and don't mind. Of course there are maintenance AFSC's that work mostly inside on benches too. All depends on the person.
Maintenance is for the mechanically minded, intelligence for the more cerebral. Etc. etc. Figure out what will make you happy.
P.S. Don't count on cross training. If your AFSC is minimally manned they won't let you. Or what you want is over manned and they won't let you.

Last edited by Giesela; 03-13-2011 at 02:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues