Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2013, 01:44 PM

455 posts, read 898,368 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping someone here can give some insight.

I originally enrolled for VA Healthcare about a year ago, but couldn't make the initial blood work appointments at my local clinic. I'm assuming that's when I was supposed to get my VID card as well.
Now, I'm wanting to get that stuff done but for the life of me I cannot get through to the clinic by phone. I have been trying daily for months, but I can't stay on the phone for very long because I have to make these calls at work, and a lunch break is never long enough to make it through to a person at the clinic.
I don't know how long it would be if I went there in person, so I've been trying to get through by phone first.

One question is whether or not it's necessary to do this specifically for the purpose of complying with the new healthcare mandate coming up in January, or whether simply having enrolled is sufficient.
I'm a young guy (32) with no medical issues, so I'm not TOO worried about having this stuff done immediately, although I'd rather get it out of the way should I need care.

Another question is whether I can just walk in to the clinic and schedule my initial appointments I need?
Also, do the clinics typically issue the VID cards or do I have to drive the couple hours away to do that at the actual VA hospital nearest to me?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 02:42 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Most CBOC clinics have the equipment to make a VA ID card.

Enrollment is sufficient to meet requirements for health care.

It is worth signing up for my healthy vet, as you can send an encrypted e mail directly to your provider, this is the best way to get an appointment.

You need to authenticate your my healthy vet account, one time at the local clinic.
https://www.myhealth.va.gov/index.html

Best time to call the VA is after 3:00 pm. Not at lunch. Or in the morning.

You just need an appointment with a primary care provider, if you want have a healthcare need, or want referral for speciality care. Or authorization for an eye exam and glasses. Having an appointment one time a year is sufficient to keep you active as a VA subscriber.

Last edited by jasper12; 09-23-2013 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: edit. added link

Old 09-24-2013, 12:15 PM

455 posts, read 898,368 times
Thanks for the info!!

Old 09-25-2013, 08:09 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,344,730 times
Is every honorably discharged veteran able to sign up at the VA for medical services? DH has not done so and thinks that with Obamacare that he will not be accepted. DH is still working and has medical insurance, but he is a cancer survivor and we will still be paying toward his care. I told him that he still needs to make an appointment the veterans' hospital, but he doesn't think they will take him.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:30 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Is every honorably discharged veteran able to sign up at the VA for medical services? DH has not done so and thinks that with Obamacare that he will not be accepted. DH is still working and has medical insurance, but he is a cancer survivor and we will still be paying toward his care. I told him that he still needs to make an appointment the veterans' hospital, but he doesn't think they will take him.
Every veteran (with a few exceptions) is eligible to sign up for VA health benefits.
Not every veteran will receive every VA health benefits.

If you go to the VA's health care website, you'll be able to read all the information on VA health benefits. It will explain what is available, how to determine you’re Priority Group, what care you will receive based on that priority Group, it will provide information on VA health care and the Affordable Care Act. There is no way for any of us to say what will and won’t be covered because we don’t know the history, service connection of that illness, and if any other factors apply.

The best and proper thing is to visit the VA website and read about VA health benefits as well as completing the enrollment:
Health Benefits :: Health Benefits Home Page

Old 09-25-2013, 08:41 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,344,730 times
Rabrrita, thanks for the link.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:10 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times
Default I Concur With Jasper

This is a my copy of a letter I received in my mail last week, I blacked out my name and address.

VA Healthcare does meet the requirements set forth by the ACA.

Veterans who are applying for healthcare will need to submit to a means test, this is done once a year on your original anniversary enrollment into the VA Healthcare system.

Some veterans healthcare is free of charge, but depending upon your income, there may be copays involved. My healthcare is free of charge, but I must pay $8.00 per prescription as a copay.

Below is a link to the VA means test web page, you can enter your information on it, print it out and mail it in, or you can contact and visit your VA liaison nearest you. If you plan to visit your local office, be sure to bring your DD214 with you to avoid delays in processing your requests.

https://www.1010ez.med.va.gov/

If you don't know where your CBOC offices are located, go to this webpage below, and once you're there, click on locations at the top of the page.

http://www.research.va.gov/resources...m#.UkmxmdIjL1U

Old 10-04-2013, 08:55 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,000,282 times
Every veteran who has served 180 days of active duty is able to get VA health care provide they were discharged with an honorable or under honorable conditions. If the veteran has a service connected condition then he may be able to get disability benefits from the VA, and any medical treatment for his condition would be covered. If there is no service connected condition he can still receive treatment through the VA however he would have to pay a co-pay. The co-pay is based on income through what is called a "means test", so depending on your income depends on how much co-pay.

The VA has 8 levels of priority with level 1 being the highest. You can check this like to see what priority level you will fall into: Health Benefits :: Priority Groups Table

Old 10-04-2013, 10:04 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Always go to the local VA to get information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues