Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 06:13 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,634,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post

1. Can you take orders?

2. Can you help your buddies?

3. Are you a quitter?

4. Are you loyal to the United States of America?

Rich
I'm pretty far left on most issues, was even more so when I joined the Army over 10 years ago. Most of the people I encounter are more conservative than I am; however, I fit in just fine because I can answer yes to 1, 2, and 4 and no to 3. That's a pretty good checklist to go by.

I think it could be good for you to develop relationships with people from different backgrounds and different perspectives. The military is all about that. Yes, we do conform to following orders to accomplish the mission, but we also understand teamwork.. and teams are composed of individuals. Individuals are accepted and respected for who they are, so long as they pull their weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 06:19 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,718,695 times
this is a bit dated but from personal experiance still hold true....

Who Bears the Burden? Demographic Characteristics of U.S. Military Recruits Before and After 9/11 | The Heritage Foundation
and

Military More Republican, Conservative Than Public – Poll by Jim Lobe

and

The 1.4 million men and women on active duty make up the most diverse military in our history, and yet it is not exactly a mirror of the country it defends. It is better educated than the general population and overweighted with working-class kids and minorities. About 40% of the troops are Southern, 60% are white, 22% are black, and a disproportionate number come from empty states like Montana and Wyoming

Read more: Person of The Year 2003: THE AMERICAN SOLDIER - TIME

Old 03-26-2011, 01:48 PM

767 posts, read 2,289,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
War isn't my issue, I would say being opposed depends. Iraq? Yes, completely uneeded and budget destructive. Libya? No. I'm not one of these people who is opposed to war no matter what, no I feel war is relative to the circumstance.
Once you enlist, you won't get to choose your war.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:26 PM

267 posts, read 884,879 times
I am a military wife (my husband was active duty Navy, and is now in the reserves trying to get back either active duty of full time support). Both my husband and I are VERY liberal. Yes, many people in the military DO tend to be conservative, but what I've found is a lot of people in the military also don't really follow politics at all. Whoever is president at the time is their commander is chief, and really you cannot be extremely hardcore against either party (to the point I've seen some crazies be), because then in essence you would be against your commander in chief. It would never work.

Still, my husband and I did not like Bush. He got along fine. If you know how to separate politics from your job, you will be fine, because really no one should be talking about that stuff in any workplace.

Also, you would have to be ok with being ordered to do something you may not be 100% comfortable with. I don't agree with the Iraq war either (neither did my husband), but he still had to participate in it to some extent. He was stationed on the aircraft carrier that carried out the first bombings. He had no choice. But, you know what you're signing up for. You have to be able to take orders, even if you don't always agree with them.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:08 PM

1,882 posts, read 3,442,243 times
"Progressives" aka liberals make up quite a few of the careerists in the services.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:29 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,549,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
Once you enlist, you won't get to choose your war.
Awww, does this mean if someone signs up now, they may not get to fight til a year later versus N. Korea or some other country?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberMoon View Post
I am a military wife (my husband was active duty Navy, and is now in the reserves trying to get back either active duty of full time support). Both my husband and I are VERY liberal. Yes, many people in the military DO tend to be conservative, but what I've found is a lot of people in the military also don't really follow politics at all. Whoever is president at the time is their commander is chief, and really you cannot be extremely hardcore against either party (to the point I've seen some crazies be), because then in essence you would be against your commander in chief. It would never work.

Still, my husband and I did not like Bush. He got along fine. If you know how to separate politics from your job, you will be fine, because really no one should be talking about that stuff in any workplace.

Also, you would have to be ok with being ordered to do something you may not be 100% comfortable with. I don't agree with the Iraq war either (neither did my husband), but he still had to participate in it to some extent. He was stationed on the aircraft carrier that carried out the first bombings. He had no choice. But, you know what you're signing up for. You have to be able to take orders, even if you don't always agree with them.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:47 PM

247 posts, read 498,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
The long held notion is that the military is very conservative organization.

Just how conservative is the military, and where does it compare to the rest of the population?

Is this a far right wing group of people across all issues or is it moderate but conservative on a few big subjects?

I'm a progressive person across all fields. I'm wondering if I would be really outnumbered and out of place.

What do you mean by conservative? Is it just your standing on a particular subject or all around? [Hope this makes sense!]

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm assuming you're looking towards going into the military...If this is true theres SO many other things you need to consider besides this.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:18 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,219,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberMoon View Post
... Whoever is president at the time is their commander is chief, and really you cannot be extremely hardcore against either party (to the point I've seen some crazies be), because then in essence you would be against your commander in chief. It would never work....

Also, you would have to be ok with being ordered to do something you may not be 100% comfortable with....

Your commander-in-chief (top boss) might be the most hawkish and conservative politician you've ever imagined, but as a military man you must respect him (his position) and carry out his orders. You also must obey and show respect to every other person (for their positions) in your chain of command. Some will be morons, but you still must show respect, simply because they have more rank than you and are your superiors. If you can't do that, stay out of the military.

Obviously there are exceptions. When I was in the military I got some goof-ball superiors in trouble, not because I tried to but simply because THEIR superiors came to me and demanded that I provide answers to some questions. In one instance one was fired; in another instance two others were reprimanded. In all three cases it was because they used their "power" inappropriately. Simply being an idiot is not against military regulations.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:23 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,893,056 times
look at the prior military congressman and senators would you call them liberal or conservative:

Jim Webb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

John Warner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

John Kerry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

John Murtha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

John Glenn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McCain

Daniel Akaka - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Conrad Burns - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ben Nighthorse Campbell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Daniel Inouye - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.navyleague.org/legislative_affairs/SenateVets108.pdf (broken link)

You get the idea, you have a slew of people across the political spectrum from both side of the aisle. Your political affiliation doesn't matter all that matters if you can

Quote:
............. solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."
United States Armed Forces oath of enlistment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-26-2011, 09:04 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,796,855 times
In the military the imortant thingt is to know what is a leagl oder and what is not. It matters little what your personal opinon is really.Much different than civilian life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues