U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 10:44 AM

8,380 posts, read 2,445,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerfamily View Post
We have friends who bank at a military credit union and they are paying their members the unpaid amount. Do you know if USAA is doing this also?
My daughter is in the military. Thank goodness her "bank" is a military credit union. Maybe that will be a way to get through this. God, I hope so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 02:04 PM

2,790 posts, read 3,989,414 times
I am curious what will happen to families in transit. The movers took away all their belongings yesterday. One of their vehicles left for the depot in St. Louis a couple weeks ago. They are not scheduled to leave the island (Alaska) for another week or so and are driving from Washington state to Michigan. If their paycheck is held up and their travel allowence is held up, how will they be able to make it to new duty station in time? Also, if government shuts down, who is going to pay the movers so they can re-claim their belongings once they make it to Michigan? Anyone else going through this particular dilemma?

Old 04-08-2011, 02:22 PM

17,956 posts, read 5,790,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Depends on how long the government shuts down:
Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates said on Wednesday:
  • if the government shuts down on April 8 and goes for a week, service members would get half of a check on April 15 (pay from the April 1 8)
  • if the shutdown runs past April 15, service members would receive pay after the budget or a Continuing Resolution is passed.
One of my Army kids' messages, a few minutes ago:
LES's are showing 1/2 pay for Apr 15th payday

~~~~
A link sent to me, from Survivor Outreach Services
Shutdown FAQ: Veterans

Old 04-08-2011, 03:00 PM

20,178 posts, read 12,640,242 times
This is absolute crap. In my extended family we have five family members in the military, three in Iraq and Afghanistan. About 20 of us have already started an account to help our five families out thru this disgrace of our government. Damn this pisses me off.

They have started receiving half pay checks the last time I was updated this morning.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:35 PM

21,669 posts, read 27,655,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
This is absolute crap. In my extended family we have five family members in the military, three in Iraq and Afghanistan. About 20 of us have already started an account to help our five families out thru this disgrace of our government. Damn this pisses me off.

They have started receiving half pay checks the last time I was updated this morning.
Relax, take deep breaths.

Everyone in the military has gone through pay hiccups before. It happens. No body is going to starve.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:26 PM

6,752 posts, read 3,099,896 times
Some guidance from the Navy:

From Navy Federal:
Navy Federal will cover the 15 April payroll for those active duty members who have their direct deposit of pay at the credit union.
Overdraft options: Checking overdraft line of credit, with expedited approvals for lines up to $500 and regular lines available up to $10,000. Or Optional Overdraft Protection Service, providing up to $500 overdraft coverage for your debit and ATM transactions, checks, and bill payments.
Credit cards: Expedited approvals for line increases for your existing Navy Federal credit card. You may also want to take advantage of our special no-fee balance transfer offer to open a new credit card.
Personal loans: Share Savings and Certificate Pledged loans can provide instant funds without dipping into savings accounts. Rates are set at the share or certificate rate plus 2%. Personal expense loans with no collateral are also available.
Credit card and loans payments: We understand that timely loan payments may be a concern for those members whose government paychecks are suspended. Please call for visit a branch for personal assistance if you have a concern.

All Navy Federal Branches will remain open, including those on base. 24/7 telephone support is available worldwide at 1-888-842-6328 (overseas, call collect at 1-703-255-8837), visit a branch, or apply for a loan online.

Military political activities:
All government employees, including military, have the right to contact their elected representative; however, they are reminded that they may not engage in public commentary while acting in their official capacity. Public commentary must be undertaken in an employee's personal capacity. Commissioned officers are prohibited under UCMJ Article 88 from using comtemptuous words against the President, Vice President, or Congress. Specific guidance on political activities by military personnel is contained in DoD Directive 1344.10.

Base services:
Commissary will be closed. NEX will be open.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:58 PM

3,364 posts, read 5,658,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
I am curious what will happen to families in transit. The movers took away all their belongings yesterday. One of their vehicles left for the depot in St. Louis a couple weeks ago. They are not scheduled to leave the island (Alaska) for another week or so and are driving from Washington state to Michigan. If their paycheck is held up and their travel allowence is held up, how will they be able to make it to new duty station in time? Also, if government shuts down, who is going to pay the movers so they can re-claim their belongings once they make it to Michigan? Anyone else going through this particular dilemma?
They should've received their travel allowance before they started packing, as an advance. After the move is "settled" and they've completed their paperwork, they'll get more. The movers will not be expecting to get paid the day they drop off the belongings.

People need to stop adding to the over-hyped drama. Many military families use things like this to build up hype and pity and over-state the issues being caused. When dh was in the Navy, it used to drive me nuts - and still does. We had relatives who were shocked over how much we actually had in take home pay, because of all the 'military members are all on welfare' carp that gets spread.

Calm down. It'll all be fine. No one in the military is about to starve, or not even be paid. We have several family members in the military. One really dumb couple of cousins, married, both active duty, both stationed overseas, have made postings today about 'going without' if the government shuts down tonight. Ummm... payday isn't for another week. And they're being housed and fed. Basically, they're complaining about beer money... I put them on 'hide' so I didn't have to see that carp any longer.

If you want to worry about someone, worry that if they shut down the commissaries for two days over the weekend (which will not affect military pay) the cashiers and baggers whose families depend on their pay to feed THEIR children will not be making the money they need. They not only be not paid, they won't receive 'back pay'. THOSE folks have real worries.

Last edited by sskkc; 04-08-2011 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: didn't automatically edit my swear word! wow!

Old 04-08-2011, 06:33 PM

41,692 posts, read 45,027,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muonic View Post
It's a damn sad situation when service members would have to endure a pay stoppage, but the members of Congress would continue to be paid normally.

An absolutely disgraceful performance by our elected representatives.
The bad thing is they have done nothing to fix it since the 90's shutdown and could ahve done it in a morning really.Its a issue they want to blame the other for that is sick;IMO.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:38 PM

1,146 posts, read 2,949,294 times
This memorandum was posted April 7th by the office of the Undersecretary of Defense...

http://www.defense.gov/home/features...D_04092-11.pdf

And then this from DFAS today...

DFAS -- HOME

And the most recent update from DeCA...

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...65057656882866

To our military, if you need help, please go to your installation for resources.

To our public, if you see a military member out, thank them for their service and maybe buy them lunch!

Old 04-08-2011, 06:45 PM

646 posts, read 847,808 times
MICoastiemom- Coast Guard? My husband is Active duty in the CG. I was in as well. They must be freaking out! I'm sorry they are in the midst of a stressful move and now worried how to afford it. I would have them contact their servicing persru/admin on Monday, just in case their pay is cut in half on the 15th and request a mutual assistance loan. I wish them luck.

It's a shame our Military's pay is threatened while the govt has a pissing match. They sacrifice day in and day out to ensure our freedom. To use them as political pawns is a disgrace. They deserve better.
Pass a bill to ensure our Military still receive pay during a govt shutdown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues