Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 10:11 PM

3 posts, read 7,324 times

Advertisements

I have been thinking about a career in the military, and there are alot of things that are attractive to me, but I want to make sure its a good fit, I plan to speak with a recruiter, but I know they will try to sell me on their branch, so I am seeking opinions from others who've been there. About me...

31/F
Healthy, no medical issues in family
Slightly out of shape- I could keep up, but could afford to drop 20 lbs
Grandfather served in Navy during WWII, father served in navy four years with honorable discharge
BA in Psych
Interested in medical training, either medic or MD route (would they pay for education if I already have degree?)
No problem with authority, I just like to have responsibility and be in charge
Not really looking for combat duty, but open to being in combat zone, hostile environment, disaster zone, wherever the action is
currently single, no brats, but eyes are open

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 03:53 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,520,451 times
In the first place, remember that the Armed Forces is not just a job like any other. Yes, it has good benefits, interesting things to do and lots of opportunities, but this ain't the corporate world. It's a world unto itself, part of the American experience, yet separate from it as well. It's an insulated society, a way of life far different from most civilian occupations, yet like them in many ways.

The one, overiding thing which sets the Armed Forces apart is that it is a culture created and founded on the priniciple of the application of force to achieve a desired end which reaches it's highest fullfilment in war. The purpose of every job in the Armed Forces is to support killing and destruction. Never forget that no matter what your job is, it's a part of a vast, killing machine and, while you may not be out there at the point of the bayonet, you're helping make it possible. Everything else, including your personal goals, career advancement, family and your future, is secondary to that primary mission. If you're not OK with that, you don't need to be there.

Having said that, so far as I know, the Armed Forces will not send you to medical school to be a doctor. They will, however, train you to be a medic or other health care provider. But, if combat isn't something you'd much like to do, then being a medic is not for you. Not all medics serve at the front, but those who do get more deeply involved in war than anyone else because they deal with the effects of it, up close and personal. So do those assigned to field hospitals and facilities far from the fighting where the maimed and crippled are cared for. If you don't have a pretty strong stomach and a dedication to match that of your patients, pick something else.

Go ahead and talk to a recruiter, but make sure this is something you want to do, not only for yourself but for those who will be serving alongside you. You owe them that much.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:04 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,736,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalise View Post
I have been thinking about a career in the military, and there are alot of things that are attractive to me, but I want to make sure its a good fit, I plan to speak with a recruiter, but I know they will try to sell me on their branch, so I am seeking opinions from others who've been there. About me...

31/F
Healthy, no medical issues in family
Slightly out of shape- I could keep up, but could afford to drop 20 lbs
Grandfather served in Navy during WWII, father served in navy four years with honorable discharge
BA in Psych
Interested in medical training, either medic or MD route (would they pay for education if I already have degree?)
No problem with authority, I just like to have responsibility and be in charge
Not really looking for combat duty, but open to being in combat zone, hostile environment, disaster zone, wherever the action is
currently single, no brats, but eyes are open

Thanks for any help!
I am retired Army, my advice:
1. This is a federal agency, look at their site, there are programs which result in becoming military: "The Uniformed Services University is the Nation's federal health sciences university and is committed to excellence in military medicine and public health during peace and war. We provide the Nation with health professionals dedicated to career service in the Department of Defense and the United States Public Health Service and with scientists who serve the common good."
Uniformed Services University :: About USU

2. ROTC programs. Go here: ROTC.com

3. There is a very large difference between a "either medic or MD", and do not forget the nursing programs.

4. The recruiters are not likely to cover the above above.

5. This site has a lot of military information: United States Military Information
Good luck!

Rich

Old 01-17-2010, 01:51 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,032,159 times
Great advice.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:16 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,698,779 times
I would advise you look into other options besides the military. You could get deferred loans, go back to school and become a LPN/RN, correct? Look into the civilian side and the military...

Old 01-17-2010, 05:46 PM

460 posts, read 1,139,811 times
If you complete your science pre-reqs for a MD and get accepted to med school, then there are military programs that will pay for you to go. But one of the best med military deals is what Ponch NM pointed out Uniformed Services.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:08 PM

3 posts, read 7,324 times
Thank you so much for all the replies. Thank you for links Poncho_NM, the USU Program looks like exactly what I'm looking for! I like that it trains you for the type of senerios a doctor would face on the ground in a conflict situation. They also offer specialties, and I have an interest in surgery. The only problems is I would need 1-2 years to complete the science pre-reqs. They also require clinical patient experience. So, I have another follow up question. Lets say I enlisted, trained as a medic (this would give me patient and combat? experience), then after I met science pre-reqs, I request a LOA (do they generally grant these?). Is that looked down on? Thanks again!

Old 01-17-2010, 09:44 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,032,159 times
Another avenue to consider is the Physican's Assistant program that the Army offers. I don't know all the details but I had a friend that did it.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:08 AM

39 posts, read 312,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INTN View Post
If you complete your science pre-reqs for a MD and get accepted to med school, then there are military programs that will pay for you to go. But one of the best med military deals is what Ponch NM pointed out Uniformed Services.

If you have your pre req and are accepted into a nursing program the Navy offers a BA completion program. They pay for your school and give you an allowance while your "job" is to go to school full time. They offer it for other degrees as well, but remember in return you owe them time.

Just google Navy BA completion, you'll get a ton of good info.

Good Luck!

Old 03-19-2011, 05:27 PM

16 posts, read 51,884 times
The military is a good option for a single person if you are adventurous. Remember you're signing a contract that you can't back out of so read, read, read... The recruiter ought to be your last point of information.

You mentioned you had training. You might get a larger signing bonus. They might send you to officer candidate school and make you an officer (better pay, better freedoms, better facilities). Make it clear that you are flexible and you'll have a better chance of finding a place in the military.

I had no military friends or military family to tell me about being in the military back when I was considering joining. Everything I heard was second, third and fourth handed. I had the library but did not utilize it very well. I went to see the recruiter, he liked what he saw and he sugar coated everything to get me to sign. Went to the MEPS center and they liked me too. Rather than sleep on it, I signed up for six years (Nuke program, Navy). Gee, my parents were surprised...

I was at a personal cross-roads and did not want to continue college at that time. Did not have alot of other options either except sweeping floors somewhere or flipping burgers. Was not in any trouble, never was.

My grandfather had served in WWII, my great-grandfather in WWI, and a distant relative was George Washington's blacksmith I'm told. Dunno if I believe that but it's interesting to repeat.

I wasn't a soldier or a Marine. I knew that. I talked to the Air Force and they didn't need anyone at the time. The Navy wanted me for the Nuke program though and I liked the idea of riding a big ship. I was SO naive. I believed everything they told me. They weren't BIG liars. Just little liars.

About 2 mins after I arrived at boot camp I was ready to go back home. Lucky for me I couldn't. Lucky for me I got to "grow up" and have quite an adventure. If you need to lose 20 lbs get started before boot camp. I didn't and they worked it off me. Was a tough way to go. It would have been even tougher at Army or Marine bootcamp.

I did very well in 'A' school but washed out in 'Power School'. Basically they just kept turning up the pressure in various ways until you washed out. I got the impression that they had many different ways to turn the pressure up and down. My grades weren't bad by college standards but they didn't meet the minimum which I think was a 2.5 GPA. It's been years but I think I had a 2.3 GPA. Not exactly a lost cause.

Actually I've been told by other guys that ought to know that the program probably needed to 'sacrifice' a few warm bodies to man posts around the world due to Desert Storm I. We were offered some choices but almost all of us (all of us?) that washed out that day wound up going to military police school at Lackland Air Force base. I was given choices and I chose a ship but the Navy sent me to MP school.

The day I washed out of Power School was the day the Pentagon bombed Baghdad the first time. I was scared. Had no idea where I was going after that... I wound up in Italy for three years (MP) and a ship after that (EM). Italy was amazing for me. The ship was interesting but I was counting down to civilian life by then (mind made up) so I didn't make it as good as I could have.

Then my enlistment was over. Where did the time go? I'm still rambling about it years later. Like everyone else I had decisions to make -do I reenlist?- and my choice was that I wanted to complete college, find a girl and start a family - - - as a civilian. Choices that I knew others could balance with the military but that I thought I could not. I was probably right. I've accomplished all that I wanted to and more: happily married, more college, great kids, degree in Engineering, mortgage, etc.

Looking back I am VERY glad I enlisted. VERY glad. I wouldn't be the same guy today. I hope my boys will do the same someday if it suits them. It gives you life lessons I don't think you could get anywhere else. If I fell into a time machine and went back 20 years I'd make all the same choices and strive to make my Navy time even better. Did I like every day? No. Did I like everything about the military lifestyle? No. Overall however I really benefited from the experience. If you'd like a peek into the Navy there is a series on PBS Online and Netflix called "Carrier". Watch it. 10 episodes and worth the time. There was a kid on there that sounded like me during those years.

What I discovered about myself during my Navy was that I wanted to be an engineer. I didn't (don't) want to fight directly. I'm very happy doing all sorts of engineering - design, manufacture and maintenance of machines and processes. I'm also a bit of a homebody these days - very content to hang around the house and spend time with my wife and kids when I'm off work. I enjoy traveling still but I like having a home to spend my time off at. I do still crave seeing the ships and the travel somedays. I suppose I'd be a great DoD contractor. A roof of my 'own' with my family there, with a day job someplace interesting. Relocating some place new every once in a while exploring the world one duty station at a time. I need to get away from work though when I'm done working.

In the military, I was single living on base or the ship everywhere but Naples. It was hard to get away from the military and still put my feet up. An apartment would have worked well except I was focused on saving money for college.

I was very different back then. I really enjoyed all the moving around. New places. New people. New challenges.

What I discovered too late was how to satisfy the Navy first and still be happy. I got tired of the Navy and hanging with the guys all the time about the time my Naples time was over and just in time for ship-duty where I got a much bigger dose of that.

I needed 'downtime' on the weekends to recharge. A few hours alone occasionally. Some place to put my feet up.

On the ship or on base I was always 'ship-shape' and 'Joe Navy' and hanging with the guys. If I tried to spend a Saturday on the ship there was a real chance I'd get 'volunteered' for duty of some sort. Chalk that up as the personality of our ship specifically. Our sister ship and those of friends there in VA were not the same. Our ship was very type-A during that period.

I would get off the ship and could play ball or workout or swim or go to bars or restaurants or bookstores or the mall or... Towards the end I was kind of burnt out on all of those things, I didn't want to have to go anywhere to kick back and I didn't want to risk spending Saturday tearing down equipment b/c somebody higher than me in the chain of command didn't like to waste their weekend duty days when they could have looked good for the Chief by tearing something down for inspection.

That is why I say an apartment would have suited me well. I wanted a place to kick back and read or watch TV (the channel I chose) or cookout or chat with friends or to take a girlfriend. Just like I had in Italy. Wasn't lazy, just needed a break on my weekend days off from the Navy. On the ship I couldn't do any of those things and to do those things out in town was expensive by my budget. What I probably needed was a girlfriend with an apartment. Or rent one with a few guys to split the cost. I met a few too many girls near the bases mostly interested in getting their MRS. I was tired of the bar scene. Needed more civilian friends...

Anyhow what I figured out towards the end was how convenient a VW Westfalia or pop-up camper trailer would have been. A place to chill out that was mobile. Hop in, drive about 10 miles from the Navy to a campground and kick back with a brew, watch a game or movie on TV, cook some meat on the grille. When I've got to go back to the Navy Monday morn, pack it all up and park it on the pier next to the ship until liberty next.

All mine...

If you don't go the route of a van or camper, keep your kit small and mobile. Clothes, maybe a netbook, camera, TV card for your netbook, and something to write on. Something that fits in a sporty car you like to travel in. I owned a Mustang hatchback, a CR-X, an old style Beetle, and a VW Rabbit convertible back then depending on what year we're talking about. I liked to buy, repair and sell cars in my spare time. Made some spending money that way and I had variety. A great way to spend a weekend afternoon. Fun cars to drive long distances too. I could travel with my seabag for my military stuff and one duffle bag for all my civilian stuff and it all fit nicely in the smallest cars. I had a tiny TV, camera, a notebook to write in and a few books in my civilian bag. This was all pre-laptop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues