Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 08:10 PM

44 posts, read 143,076 times

Advertisements

I was originally planning to be a CS major in college, but now that I think about it, it sounds really boring and I will probably hate it. I am interested in joining the air force because it seems as though there are a lot of benefits and a stable job, but most importantly unlike college it seems as though it has a possibility for a unique/exciting experience.

So I have a few questions.
1. Would it be advantageous to get a CS(or any other kind of engineering degree such as ME, or EE) and then sign up for the AF?
2. Should I try a year of college(I'm commuting :/) and see if I like it and continue on, or drop out if I hate it?
3. Is living on a AF base fun in any way?
4. Is the AF a good way to springboard into other higher paying careers?

I'm sorry if you think I am joining the military for all the wrong reasons, but I have a future to think about as well.

I'm Asian with bad eyesight so I'm not going to be a pilot, so take that into consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 08:24 PM

8 posts, read 20,300 times
In my opinion, go to college first, get your 4 yr degree and go in as an officer. Pay is much better, more possibilities in rank and Management type schools(War college).

When you transition out, you will have a degree, you will show your potential employer that you can lead and manage.

Just that simple to me, remember, a little hard work and sacrifice early on in your life(college), means that it is easier when you get older to "play" a little more and not worry about having to go back and get the education that you should've gotten up front.

I was Air Force, from 83-92, E-5(SSgt), Security Police. I'm not saying that the Officers life was easier, but, more was geared toward the officers than the enlisted. Not a real good comparison, but think of it in terms of social class. Officers were treated better than enlisted.

Just my .02 and if I had it all to do over, the above is what I would've done and I assure you, if you go in as enlisted, you'd wish you'd have gone to college. If you make it a career, an 0-6(Col) makes a hell of a lot more in retirement.

odie

Old 04-12-2011, 10:12 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,575,727 times
1.) How good in math are your? All of the degrees you are listing require engineering calc.
2.) Have you thought about doing ROTC right now?
3.) Do you want to work in the IT field?
4.) If you decide to go ROTC and study computer science in college, you will have a great career in any service of the military right now.
5.) If you go enlisted its a crap shoot on whether you will get a 3d job.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:21 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,277,872 times
As a caveat, becoming an Air Force officer is extremely hard. We have people with advanced degrees with 4.0 GPAs who were on the student body, sports teams, with community service and letters of recommendation from Congressmen getting turned down. We accept less than 10% of qualified applicants into officer programs.

Many people with degrees end up joining as enlisted and now are enlisted with student loans. You can enlist, and go to college for free, and be 4 years closer to retirement when you finish your degree, and still apply to be an officer once you get your degree.

But do whatever makes sense to you.

Last edited by Crew Chief; 04-14-2011 at 12:17 PM..

Old 04-12-2011, 01:54 PM

12,064 posts, read 23,107,524 times
^^^Which is why they have ROTC, correct?

Old 04-12-2011, 06:32 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,472,528 times
Try for the ROTC, if you don't get that, enlist (WITH A GUARANTEED JOB!) do a couple of easy 6 month tours, then get out with the post 9-11 GI Bill, which is the sweetest deal a military member can get get!

Old 04-13-2011, 01:51 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,277,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
^^^Which is why they have ROTC, correct?

Yes! ROTC is tough to get accepted into, but is where the majority of new officers come from (and of course the Air Force Academy). The left over slots go to new college grads and that is why they are so competitive.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:36 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,575,727 times
Also engineering and computer science would be more highly looked upon than some one with a degree in the liberal arts or business management. Way too many people today are studying business management and when they graduate they are having trouble finding jobs. Whereas most engineers and computer science majors have several job offers once they are finished. Where I am working 3rd year engineering co-ops make $18 an hour with benefits.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:03 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,084,315 times
I'm an Air Force veteran who served a little over 7 years total. My suggestion is to go to college and after completing your degree test the job market before commiting to the AF or any other branch. The military isn't going anywhere so if you still choose to enter it will be around. I can't tell you about every base but the ones that I was stationed at or visited were okay but after a little time they do get boring. Usually it is essential to have a vehicle or a friend that has one because quite frequently the bases are in desolate areas, so you need to travel to get anywhere.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:01 PM

431 posts, read 925,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
As a caveat, becoming an Air Force officer is extremely hard. We have people with advanced degrees with 4.0 GPAs who were on the student body, sports teams, with community service and letters of recommendation from Congressmen getting turned down. We accept less than 10% of qualified applicants into officer programs.

Many people with degrees end up joining as enlisted and now are enlisted with student loans. You can enlist, and go to college for free, and be 4 years closer to retirement when you finish your degree, and still apply to be an officer once you get your degree.

But do whatever makes sense to you.
Well put

If you do sign up, do so for only four years. "Incase you find out it's not what you expected" And like mentioned don't go in open general. Find a job you think is for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues