Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 06:17 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Not that it matters, but that is an AF reg.....

But I agree with ya....
Good point... I sometimes get excited and forgot that we could be talking about another branch. I suppose the other branches have similar rules but who knows....

Old 05-02-2011, 08:18 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Active duty members are specifically ALLOWED to have political bumper stickers on their POVs by AFI 51-902.

It is tasteless, but perfectly legal and allowed. We are still humans and are still allowed to have political opinions.

http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/share.../AFI51-902.pdf
That is actually the answer I was looking for. I could care less if someone wants to destroy their career exercising his/her poor judgement. It just seems a real departure from the old days

Old 05-03-2011, 08:42 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
That is actually the answer I was looking for. I could care less if someone wants to destroy their career exercising his/her poor judgement. It just seems a real departure from the old days
Yes indeed! As I recall in 1968, I wasn't even given time off to go and vote.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:46 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post

I agree with you, but how is it ruining their careers?

If I was to post a political vulgar bumper sticker, and I was relieved or given a bad NCOER....if that were to happen, It would be an instant IG complaint....

Remember, you MUST respect the rank.....not the person....

Old 05-03-2011, 11:06 AM

572 posts, read 1,298,704 times
I'm a veteran and a military spouse. Could it have been a spouse's car? And even if it isn't dictating what military personnel have on their car is very close to undermining free speech. It's one thing if the member is writing the NY Times and stating as Major John Smith representing the US Army, he believes that the President sucks, but this person is driving a car, with no rank designation or name on the car. And furthermore, if you are going to tell people that they can't have Obama sucks on their car, you need to also tell people that they can't any thing in support of Obama on their car, or the yellow ribbons, or anything else that could possibly be construed in any manner to be derogatory towards any groups or person.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:31 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo61397 View Post
Could it have been a spouse's car?
Does that really matter?
Department of Defense Directive NUMBER 1344.10
February 19, 2008
SUBJECT: Political Activities by Members of the Armed Forces

4.1.1. A member of the Armed Forces on active duty may:

4.1.1.8. Display a political bumper sticker on the member’s private vehicle.

(And there are a lot of other items listed)

Rich

Old 05-11-2011, 07:33 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo61397 View Post
You can go to a rally or protest, but you can NOT represent yourself as a military member, or be in uniform. I've gone to protests before while active duty, it's my God given right as an American citizen, but I have never gone to a rally/protest in uniform, nor did I say what I did for a living. Military members are authorized to have lives outside of the military, to include beliefs, they are just not authorized to make those beliefs "official military beliefs."
That's what we were always told as well. One thing that really surprised me during the flash mob outside the White House when Bin Laden was killed was that Lt. Dan gave an interview in uniform. We were always told that when you are in uniform, DO NOT talk to the press unless it has been authorized no matter what the subject was.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:48 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,379,501 times
I don't know the constitutionality of what we were ordered, but when I was in, we were advised that we could never have a political bumper sticker or advertise our politics in any way. That might not have been legally binding, but we did as we were told. We were encouraged to vote, but kept our opinions, especially about those in our chain-of-command, private.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues