Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 11:14 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,608,363 times

Advertisements

Did you end up as a ET?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 11:39 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,608,363 times
Did you end up as a ET?

Old 04-14-2014, 08:05 AM

6,356 posts, read 7,766,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Did you end up as a ET?
If your question is directed to me...no, I was not an ET. I was not going to extend for two extra years so that I could attend the ET "A" school. I was pretty ticked that they would not let me be a LI. Come to find out later that the LI rate has a 95%, or something, re-enlistment rate.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:23 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times
You better hope you choose the right one. I got out of the Navy DEP program because of a job I knew I was going to hate. The recruiter was with me at the job center and they let him help me very briefly choose which job I wanted to take. Most of them sucked. Not blaming him for anything but he convinced me to choose machinist mate. I've never been mechanic in the slightest or do well in extreme hot conditions. Most of that consist of what machinist mates do. He told me it would be fixing refrigerators and ac's. I found out months later that's not the truth. And I quit. Make sure you pick a job that is something you will be able to do.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:07 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,222,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
You better hope you choose the right one. I got out of the Navy DEP program because of a job I knew I was going to hate. The recruiter was with me at the job center and they let him help me very briefly choose which job I wanted to take. Most of them sucked. Not blaming him for anything but he convinced me to choose machinist mate. I've never been mechanic in the slightest or do well in extreme hot conditions. Most of that consist of what machinist mates do. He told me it would be fixing refrigerators and ac's. I found out months later that's not the truth. And I quit. Make sure you pick a job that is something you will be able to do.
You have a lot to learn if you feel the only jobs you "will be able to do" are the cushy jobs you think are cool. Maybe it would be good for you to get out and work hard in a job that you find challenging and difficult. You say you "quit" because you didn't want to try something new. I think a Machinist Mate would have been better for you than being a "quitter".

MM's do work on refrigeration and air conditioning, don't know what's "not the truth" about that. It is the military and we have lots of jobs that need accomplished, everyone can't be a fighter pilot.

Good luck in whatever you're doing now that is better than what you could/would have been doing in the military. I know in the civilian world you won't even get the opportunity to start as a refrigeration and air conditioning tech without education and experience. You may be able to find a job washing the trucks that the technicians drive though.

Find out the jobs you qualify for and pick the best one out of what they are offering you and make the best of it while you're in. You'll get a ton of opportunities and benefits from serving in the military regardless of what your job is.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:02 AM

2 posts, read 2,658 times
I am thinking about becoming a eod tech. Any advice yall can give me. Ive already decided on navy. My biggest concern is that should I go to college before going to baisic so that I can become an officer. And if so what should I study an what college should I attend

Old 07-17-2014, 11:44 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westin4543 View Post
I am thinking about becoming a eod tech. Any advice yall can give me. Ive already decided on navy. My biggest concern is that should I go to college before going to baisic so that I can become an officer. And if so what should I study an what college should I attend
Advice? Go see the recruiters...

You said Navy, why not read through some of service websites:

Recruiters:

RESERVES: - added 13 Apr 2013

National Guard:

Old 07-17-2014, 11:50 AM

24,295 posts, read 13,141,152 times
Quote:
If you are going to be an EOD tech you'll enlist. I have two who work for me and are former Army EOD techs. They like the weapons range business a lot more than disarming IEDs. The one I was able to talk with concerning the question above about officers stated that the officers go through the same school as the enlisted techs but that's where it stops. They rarely went outside the wire in combat, usually they ran interference with the locals during an op. In a civilian stateside operation they would be the ones talking to Channel 9 and coordinating with the local authorities while the guy in the suit did his business.

What to study and what college to attend should be for another forum.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:54 AM

2 posts, read 2,658 times
Ok thank you for the help

Old 07-17-2014, 08:08 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,007,483 times
Quote:
yah, be in incredible shape and be really really smart.

Becoming an Officer in the EOD community is nearly impossible unless you went to the academy, ROTC or are a prior enlisted tech. They rarely take them from OCS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues