Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 11:07 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
19 years,... whose husband was getting out after 16 to avoid anymore deployments to Afghanistan. ... One year can't be that bad for a check for the rest of your existence on Earth.
I can understand his attitude.

During some deployments, the things you see and do, are horrors that will keep you from sleeping good for decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 02:44 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,487,358 times
Also keep in mind that if you are married for more than 10 years, and divorce, your ex gets half your retirement.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:09 PM

254 posts, read 1,207,199 times
The Uniformed Services Former Spouse Protection Act (USFSPA). Every state is different at how they apply this during a divorce. I believe any VA disability compensation does not apply to the USFSPA.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:46 PM

270 posts, read 506,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Geez, you've made it this fall may as well ride the rest out, if you got out before retirement you'll kick yourself in the butt when those last few years go by. I was in for 9 years, when I turned 37 I thought "if only" I have stuck it out I could retire, but like they say hindsight is 20/20.

I feel your pain, really do. I had a great friend that got out at 10 years service, and got a then great job with Boeing, to Saudi Arabia. After a 3 year contract, and newly married a few years, she wanted out of the Saudi mess and he returned to another type job. Less money and no pension still in sight. I really felt badly and tried to tell him back then, DO NOT DO IT!!! Stay and retire at 20!! I am SURE he regrets that a LOT now. I knew of many that "talked" BS about "getting out" and felt their 15 minutes of fame about "getting out". 20 years goes by fast !! STAY. I did and had a second career enough to retire AGAIN and almost took a third career! "Access Privileges" to BX, Commissary, space A, on and on. Plus, TRICARE for Life as secondary payor , after age 65 Medicare!! VBA programs for legal, and MASA air evac world wide, as well as dental additional coverages! Not a huge pension but better than not!! Retired military now , much longer than I served active duty for retirement !! STAY and never regret it.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:47 AM

987 posts, read 1,385,554 times
My situation was different, I got out of the Air Force after 12 yrs as an SSgt E-4 pay, but transitioned into the Air Reserve Technician (ART) Program as a TSgt for 18 years! With my combined 12 yrs of active duty and 18 yrs as an ART, I took an early retirement at age 49 when at that time the U.S. government was offering early retirement to those who qualified! So, with my little pension to begin with, we moved to the Philippines due to the low cost of living there in 1998. At age 60 I received my USAFR pension and other benefits and when I turned 62 last year, I started collecting my Social Security pension! I also have a VA Disability Compensation ever since my discharge from active duty, that makes me a "Quadruple Dipper", but it's all "earned entitlements" serving Uncle Sam for 30 years of my life! So, all is well that ends well! I have no regrets at all from the path that I took!

Old 03-28-2012, 12:47 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,958,911 times
The thing is people have to work somewhere. Compare the military benefits to what's available outside of the military. You can stay in 11 more years and also work on a degree if you so choose. As for kids thinking about the service if they have nothing else going on in their home town I would suggest they join and give it 4 years.

Get in before they change the benefits package.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:20 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
The thing is people have to work somewhere. Compare the military benefits to what's available outside of the military. You can stay in 11 more years and also work on a degree if you so choose. As for kids thinking about the service if they have nothing else going on in their home town I would suggest they join and give it 4 years.

Get in before they change the benefits package.
I agree.

Work job 'A' for 20-years and get a pension;

or

Work job 'B' for 47 years to get a pension [65 - 18 = 47].

Old 03-29-2012, 02:03 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,958,911 times
Gov. may change to 401K and do away with pension.

Military families concerned about overhaul of retirement system | BenefitsPro

Old 04-01-2012, 11:05 PM

61 posts, read 208,802 times
My two cents....stick it out. From personal experience my father was in the Army for 14 years and got out and it has been the toughest thing he has had to deal with. He has two college degrees and is barely scraping by. People do it all the time, but you need to be very prepared for the reality of civilian life and that is something easier said than done. I can sympathize with your position, I've been there as a military brat and as the mother of school age kids who had to move when my husband was stationed somewhere new, but if you can stick it out then hang in there!

Old 04-02-2012, 06:25 AM

499 posts, read 2,156,170 times
It is absolutely worth it (says the man who can drop retirement paperwork at any time)!! I have met many people over the years who left the service after 8+ years and regret their decision to leave. Besides, in today's economy, I'm not sure I'd want to gamble with my family's financial security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues