Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 01:31 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,222,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
As a former US Marine, I can tell you, Full Metal Jacket was the most accurate depection of boot camp, ever to hit the big screen
A bit puzzled by this remark. According to most opinions, the psycho shooting at the end of boot camp could not have happened. Marines have commented that the deranged recruit would not have been able to obtain a weapon. If he had, no ammo for it would have been available. Every branch of the armed forces is very thorough in accounting for every round that a recruit touches, almost to the point of paranoia, and that includes empty brass of expended rounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 05:32 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
A bit puzzled by this remark. According to most opinions, the psycho shooting at the end of boot camp could not have happened. Marines have commented that the deranged recruit would not have been able to obtain a weapon. If he had, no ammo for it would have been available. Every branch of the armed forces is very thorough in accounting for every round that a recruit touches, almost to the point of paranoia, and that includes empty brass of expended rounds.
When I was in boot camp in 93, it would have been possible to get hold of an unused round. Not easy, but possible. I did clean up a few times at the weapon depot which involved dumping shells into a giant bin and then separating out live rounds. There weren't many but there were some. Plus, the DIs couldn't be behind every recruit every minute so rounds could have been pocketed. Before leaving the rifle range, we were searched but the round could have been keistered or in your boot and it wouldn't have been found.

As far as the weapon, your M16 rifle was cable locked to the end of your rack so getting a weapon definitely wouldn't have been a problem. You would have had to unlock it while the fire watch was in the head though, but in FMJ Pyle somehow wound up in the head with the weapon.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:41 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
I already asked this, but will ask again.......in any of the Viet Nam War movies, who played the VC and NVA? I know that in John Wayne's movie, The Green Berets, George Takei (Star Trek fame) played Captain Nim of the South Vietnam Army, Jack Soo played Colonel Cai of the South Viet Nam Army and Irene Tsu played Lin a South Viet Nam beauty. Jack Soo is a Japanese-American actor born in Oakland, Ca, George Takei is another Japanese-American actor and actress Irene Tsu was born in China.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:34 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
James Hong - IMDb was in China Beach, Tour of Duty, Missing in Action. He is really the only famous one I can think of. The rest are pretty much straight out of Central Casting.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:28 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
James Hong - IMDb was in China Beach, Tour of Duty, Missing in Action. He is really the only famous one I can think of. The rest are pretty much straight out of Central Casting.
To me, his best role was in Big Trouble In Little China.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:37 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,534,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
I have seen a lot of war movies over the years, and I have always wondered about the Vietnam movies. I always figured that there was some kind of bias with these movies. How accurate are these movies, how full of B.S. are these movies, or are they pretty accurate???
If you have a chance, try to go watch some documentaries and war footage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues