U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2011, 10:31 AM

436 posts, read 1,303,009 times

Advertisements

My DH is deployed right now. He just called me this morning and told me that someone(I can't remember who he said) is recommending him for OCS. He just enlisted last year and will have had one year in this August. They are not scheduled to come back from deployment until next spring and I guess he needs to have two years before he can go OCS.

So what does all this mean exactly? After he turns in the forms, what happens next? Does he just wait until after deployment and see what happens? Does he still need to go in front of the ocs board? I know that he will need a waiver, as he is 35.

He had thought of going ocs originally instead of enlisted, but there was a freeze and he liked the idea of starting at the bottom.

I didn't get a lot of time to talk to him this morning so I am really confused right now. Thanks in advance for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 03:09 PM

24,260 posts, read 39,198,391 times
It could depend on what service he in in... I am guess USMC based on your location?

Everything in the military has paperwork. He will have to apply for OCS (Officer Candidate School) at some point in time he will be approved or not approved. If approved he will go to the appropriate OCS school.

Quote:
He had thought of going ocs originally instead of enlisted, but there was a freeze and he liked the idea of starting at the bottom.
I hear that all the time, I have met many over the years which did it that way. I do not consider it to be the best choice, but it depends on the circumstances...

Rich

Old 06-19-2011, 03:34 PM

436 posts, read 1,303,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
It could depend on what service he in in... I am guess USMC based on your location?

Everything in the military has paperwork. He will have to apply for OCS (Officer Candidate School) at some point in time he will be approved or not approved. If approved he will go to the appropriate OCS school.

I hear that all the time, I have met many over the years which did it that way. I do not consider it to be the best choice, but it depends on the circumstances...

Rich
Thanks. He's actually army. Do you think the process is easier or harder to do now that he is already enlisted? Will the recommendation he got help him to get in or will it make no difference?

Old 06-19-2011, 07:12 PM

24,260 posts, read 39,198,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamom1 View Post
Thanks. He's actually army. Do you think the process is easier or harder to do now that he is already enlisted? Will the recommendation he got help him to get in or will it make no difference?
I saw Fayetteville, thought Ft Bragg, and wrote the wrong service. I do not think it will make any difference. There are some requirements that he has to meet, having a college degree to enter has been an issue in the past 10 years or so, being a U.S. Citizen has been a requirement. There are less slots for OCS right now than in the past.

There are other changes like "Prominent among policy changes that will apply to the 2011 boards is the suspension of the program that authorized general-officer commanders to select outstanding Regular Army enlisted soldiers for OCS." meaning everyone goes through a local, structured interview board.

You might read this article: New OCS rules remove waivers, lower age limit - Army News

Do not give up, just keep pushing...

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues