Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 05:51 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,028,490 times

Advertisements

What are Cryptotechs, and what do they do? My fiance might be going from Nuke to Crypto, and isnt sure what the job entails. Any Cryptos out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 10:03 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,605,436 times
Depends on what branch of crypto....

I am assuming they will be making her a CT...Why is she changing form Nuke to Crypto? Also is she even in the Navy yet?

There are CTR which is collections. CTT which is technical they study radar and weapons systems. CTM is electronic maintenance used by the CT rates, CTN which is Computer Hacking. CTI which is interpretation of foreign languages.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Depends on what branch of crypto....

I am assuming they will be making her a CT...Why is she changing form Nuke to Crypto? Also is she even in the Navy yet?

There are CTR which is collections. CTT which is technical they study radar and weapons systems. CTM is electronic maintenance used by the CT rates, CTN which is Computer Hacking. CTI which is interpretation of foreign languages.

lmao first and foremost, Im not a lesbian. Its 'he'.

Second, he followed an order too easily and made a mistake. They de-nuked him but are going to re-classify him and allow him to keep his security clearance. He was a Nuclear Electricians Mate. Cryptotech is the only option I know he picked/put on the list right now. We're waiting to see what else is offered. He only has a year left in service..I was hoping he'd be able to get out of hte Navy and get a job in energy, but now that this has happened I dont know what his options are as far as job wise in the Civilian world. I *really* dont want him to re-up...but if we must, we must.
I know CTI wouldnt be his thing. He's awful with languages...butchers them, actually.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:39 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Generally CT is closer to ET than EM. I was an ET and did a lot of CT stuff [though I worked in an environment where they only put very few CTs, so ETs fill-in].

Like was already explained one NEC does languages, one NEC does sorting/filing/routing, the rest are variations of ET.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:27 PM

Im honestly hoping he can still do something in the civilian world with either Nuclear energy or just energy in general, and get out of the Navy.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:16 PM

If he gets to pick and wants to stay in, then I would have him look at the CREO manning for the rates and advancement opportunities.

There are a ton of pluses CT's have vs. Nukes.

1.) Duty stations, Most CT's can and will be stationed anywhere in the world. They have great overseas base assignments.
2.) Their support duties jobs are very interesting. Think James Bond type spy stuff.
3.) Clearance level is much > than Nukes.
4.) The job and working environment is better than the Nuke world.
5.) Sea to shore rotation is 1 overseas shore/sea vs. 1 conus shore duty.
6.) About 1/3 of their jobs are at Ft. Meade and if you want to homestead there you can.
7.) A SSBI top secret clearance is worth alot right now and all CT's are required to have this.

For civilian Nuke jobs try Nukeworker.com.

Good luck

Last edited by bellhead; 06-03-2011 at 08:25 PM..

Old 06-03-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Generally CT is closer to ET than EM. I was an ET and did a lot of CT stuff [though I worked in an environment where they only put very few CTs, so ETs fill-in].

Like was already explained one NEC does languages, one NEC does sorting/filing/routing, the rest are variations of ET.

It's funny the Navy has never merged the ET, FC, and CTM ratings.

They should merge the comm ET's and CTM ratings and then merge FC, and radar ET's. The job skills and equipment overlap a great deal. Also some of the CTT's NEC overlap radar also.

An example of this my KG-84 A/C C-school class had 4 Navy ET's, 1 Coastie, and 2 CTM's. Everybody in the class either had or was in the SSBI Top Secret clearance process as we all either working or going to work in a tech control environment.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:54 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
It's funny the Navy has never merged the ET, FC, and CTM ratings.

They should merge the comm ET's and CTM ratings and then merge FC, and radar ET's. The job skills and equipment overlap a great deal. Also some of the CTT's NEC overlap radar also.

An example of this my KG-84 A/C C-school class had 4 Navy ET's, 1 Coastie, and 2 CTM's. Everybody in the class either had or was in the SSBI Top Secret clearance process as we all either working or going to work in a tech control environment.
Every few years the Navy re-shuffles the rates around.

As I was retiring IC and QM were merging into ET.

TM merged into MM, and some FTs went to FC while other FTs went to MT.

I did Law Enforcement duties overseas as my choice of shore-duty rotation. One day I stopped at a gate to check on the gate guard, and I saw a guy walking up to a gate carrying a stack of textbooks. As he approached I asked if the books were his required coursework. He said that no he was just doing some leisure study on his off-time. I noticed that the textbooks were Russian, Chinese and Arabic. So I said to him "You spooks are nuts" and I waved him through the gate. The spook laughed and walked away. The regular gate guard freaked out, he was going to report me, blah blah, because I had called the guy [who was black] a spook. It took me 10 minutes to convince him that 'spook' meant CT, and he was clearly a CT since his form of pleasure reading was to study Russian, Chinese and Arabic all at the same time.

To me, it seemed obvious that the guy was a CT, and I was correct. But the gate guard never made the connection.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:06 AM

467 posts, read 1,521,953 times
CT isn't a bad job at all. Cushier than being a Nuc. Far less dirty and considerably less dangerous.As far a civilian jobs - don't sweat it. Unless he got court martialed or something similar, there are still plenty of Nuc-type jobs he can go for. Or, he can leverage that SCI clearance he's going to get (presumably) and do some kind of interesting cleared work. Don't worry - no one is going to get bent out of shape about stuff like this in civilian-land.

{Second, he followed an order too easily and made a mistake.}. Yeah, that's one of the things that sucks about being a nuc. "I was just following orders" will get you a nod as they take away your NEC. It can sometimes put you into very difficult positions in regard to refusing orders or demanding clarification.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looktowindward View Post
CT isn't a bad job at all. Cushier than being a Nuc. Far less dirty and considerably less dangerous.As far a civilian jobs - don't sweat it. Unless he got court martialed or something similar, there are still plenty of Nuc-type jobs he can go for. Or, he can leverage that SCI clearance he's going to get (presumably) and do some kind of interesting cleared work. Don't worry - no one is going to get bent out of shape about stuff like this in civilian-land.

{Second, he followed an order too easily and made a mistake.}. Yeah, that's one of the things that sucks about being a nuc. "I was just following orders" will get you a nod as they take away your NEC. It can sometimes put you into very difficult positions in regard to refusing orders or demanding clarification.

So you're telling me its worth a shot in civilian land?? *Hopeful look*

Crypto is a last resort to me....I really, really REALLY want us out of the military. I really really REALLY do!

Does he still need his NEC? He got that yanked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues