Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 12:37 PM

109 posts, read 287,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequencei View Post
I have no idea who I would call. Everyone I have talked to said that there is something wrong with this picture. The whole thing has been wrong from the get go. Everything was done backwards at this recruiters office. My husband was also in the Navy and says something is not right. Its been three days and he is still upset over this, but willing to move forward and go to school instead. Its hard to watch your child have his dreams crushed.

Thank you for any suggestions you have.
sequencei,

I don't know if this will help, but here is a link to the DOD's Medical Standards for Appointment, Enlistment, or Induction in the Military Services. (I hope it's okay to post here, according to forum rules). If you go to page 47, you can read about disqualifying mental health conditions. Perhaps there'll be some information in there that will help you understand your son's situation. (Pay extra attention to the rules about anti-depressant use.)

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/c...df/613003p.pdf

Also check this link (beginning at the bottom of page 14) - these are listed as Army Standards of Fitness, but they apply across all services.

http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r40_501.pdf

If after you've read through these documents, you still feel that your son should not have been disqualified, I would recommend you go ahead and talk to an AF recruiter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 12:54 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradogreycat View Post
I don't know if this will help, but here is a link to the DOD's Medical Standards for Appointment, Enlistment, or Induction in the Military Services. (I hope it's okay to post here, according to forum rules).
Yes, it is ok. Thanks for posting it. You have over 10 posts, you are not spamming, selling, soliciting or trolling.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Yes, it is ok. Thanks for posting it. You have over 10 posts, you are not spamming, selling, soliciting or trolling.
Whew! Thanks, Poncho_NM. I'm always nervous about sharing links - but I do want to help out when I can.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:15 PM

4 posts, read 12,885 times
Thank you sooo much!!!

Old 09-25-2014, 11:32 PM

4 posts, read 12,885 times
Okay...I kind of read through it, but if he was on meds from like 10 years old to 12 years old off and on. Stopped the meds because they were not doing anything to him. I don't even understand why the doctor wanted him on meds, just because he has always been a serious kid, doesn't make sense. He always had good grades, played soccer, and was in the band from 6th to 12th grade. Everyone says I have the perfect kid. He was even the kid that would stand up to bullies. I am not saying he is perfect, but how can someone just look at his medical records and just assume he will have problems later. Just because I was naïve enough to believe this doctor was right on giving him medicine? The doctor also put in his medical records that he has ADHD. I was never told that. He was never tested for it and don't understand how he got mostly A's without medicine if he was supposedly ADHD. I have tried talking to him about the Air Force, but he said he wouldn't be happy with the jobs that are available to him. I guess he wants it all dropped and doesn't want to think about it anymore. In the end...I am stuck with at least 1000.00 medical bill, because the Navy recruiter requested that he have an EKG and Echogram done. I will have my husband read through the link thoroughly this weekend and see what he thinks. Thank you again so much for the links!!!

Old 09-26-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequencei View Post
Thank you sooo much!!!
You're welcome - and good luck with everything!

Old 12-24-2014, 06:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,276 times
I was just wondering for someone that is in exceptional health wise, ( meaning physically fit) , but has adhd and has been of Adderall not a high dose, wild they allow them to take that medication in boot camp. Just a civilian question. But to all the military personnel on this site and to all the soon to be, THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for protecting or country so we can live in this country and raise our children and yours without worries. You men/ women our true heroes in every sense of the word.

Old 12-24-2014, 06:42 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,327,357 times
No. People must be off those meds at least a year and be able to prove they can function (success in school or holding a job during that year).

Old 10-09-2015, 05:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,143 times
Wow..you guys are brutal. My son is a senior this year. He was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 5 years old. We put him on medication and it was the best thing we ever did. His mane problem was not being able to focus. He wants more then anything to be a Marine and has ever intention of going in as soon as he graduates. We thought for certain that he would never be able to function without the medication. Last summer when he decided that the Marines were for him he stopped taking his medication and we said we would give it a try and see what happens. We just finished the first term of Sr. year and he is getting all A's and B's. He knows what he wants and he knows what he has to do to get it. We of course have seen the doctor since last summer and they concur that he is doing great with no issues of not being able to focus. Our big thing now is how long does he have to be off his medication before he can enlist. He is 19 now and anxious to get started and we are anxious to get him started. If anyone has any information on this it would be greatly appreciated. In the mean time to those of you who were able to get your kids through without medication for the ADD then that is super keep doing what your doing, and for those that are using medication my son is living proof that it works. I think it all depends on the child and the parents.
Michelle

Old 10-09-2015, 05:54 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowasober1 View Post
Last summer when he decided that the Marines were for him he stopped taking his medication and we said we would give it a try and see what happens. We just finished the first term of Sr. year and he is getting all A's and B's. He knows what he wants and he knows what he has to do to get it. We of course have seen the doctor since last summer and they concur that he is doing great with no issues of not being able to focus. Our big thing now is how long does he have to be off his medication before he can enlist.
Best thing to do is start by contacting a recruiter...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues