U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-21-2011, 04:17 PM
 
Location: The Brightest City On Earth
1,282 posts, read 1,557,765 times
Reputation: 570

Advertisements

OK here is another kid. Has his sights set on the Air Force. Told him that it will be very hard for him to get in. Here are his particulars:

1. Graduated HS with a slightly above average GPA- about a B- with a few extra activities in school (clubs)
2. Never any trouble with the law, not even a traffic ticket.
3. Good moral character and physically fit.
4. Can probably do pretty well on the test.
5. Now the killer- NOT a citizen of the USA. Permanent Resident and not eligible for citizenship until 2013.

I told him that I very much doubt the USAF will take a non citizen and that perhaps maybe the Army or Marines might. What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-21-2011, 04:24 PM
 
15,616 posts, read 9,158,729 times
Reputation: 67792
You don't have to be a US Citizen to serve in our military and many non-citizens have served.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2011, 04:28 PM
 
Location: Seattle
1,568 posts, read 2,708,555 times
Reputation: 1585
He can join as long as he is legally here. Then after three years he can apply and receive citizenship. He's going to have issues with his clearance...and of course he will be limited in what career fields he will get to choose.

Good luck to him~sounds like a great kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2011, 04:30 PM
 
Location: The Brightest City On Earth
1,282 posts, read 1,557,765 times
Reputation: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
You don't have to be a US Citizen to serve in our military and many non-citizens have served.
That is true but so many of the occupation slots in the Air Force and Navy require at least some degree of security clearance which cannot be granted to a non citizen. This is why I think he will have a hard time. In the Army maybe 50% of the occupations are off limits but in the Air Force it is probably 90% or more. I think this rule is silly because citizenship does not equal loyalty and many immigrants are more loyal to the country than many native born citizens are. But the rules are the rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2011, 04:32 PM
 
Location: Seattle
1,568 posts, read 2,708,555 times
Reputation: 1585
Tons of jobs...

Air Force Enlisted Jobs Which Do Not Require U.S. Citizenship
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2011, 04:39 PM
 
Location: The Brightest City On Earth
1,282 posts, read 1,557,765 times
Reputation: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASpaceman View Post
He can join as long as he is legally here. Then after three years he can apply and receive citizenship. He's going to have issues with his clearance...and of course he will be limited in what career fields he will get to choose.

Good luck to him~sounds like a great kid.
As I understand it, he can acquire citizenship after 1 year in the Armed Forces because he has been here already for 3 and the time is cut if you join the military.
The problem is what you stated. I told him that, even if get in, your job selection will not be good and it is virtually impossible to change an MOS once you enter the military. You are pretty much stuck with what you got.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2011, 04:42 PM
 
Location: Seattle
1,568 posts, read 2,708,555 times
Reputation: 1585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
As I understand it, he can acquire citizenship after 1 year in the Armed Forces because he has been here already for 3 and the time is cut if you join the military.
The problem is what you stated. I told him that, even if get in, your job selection will not be good and it is virtually impossible to change an MOS once you enter the military. You are pretty much stuck with what you got.
Job selection looks good to me...AFSC (MOS) change is possible after 3+ years depending upon the career field.

What does he want to do? Check the link...lots of opportunity. He could even go to school and then attempt for a commission.

Instead of advising somebody on something you know nothing about--why don't you be a good friend and escort him over to the Recruiter office.

Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2011, 04:57 PM
 
Location: The Brightest City On Earth
1,282 posts, read 1,557,765 times
Reputation: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASpaceman View Post
Job selection looks good to me...AFSC (MOS) change is possible after 3+ years depending upon the career field.

What does he want to do? Check the link...lots of opportunity. He could even go to school and then attempt for a commission.

Instead of advising somebody on something you know nothing about--why don't you be a good friend and escort him over to the Recruiter office.

Best of luck.
I took him there but the office is closed. There is no recruiter there. They just left an 800 number. He will call it and see if there is any recruiter in Clark County. The other 3 services also have offices in the same place and there usually is a recruiter there for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2011, 09:52 AM
 
Location: Petticoat Junction
930 posts, read 1,575,627 times
Reputation: 1487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
As I understand it, he can acquire citizenship after 1 year in the Armed Forces because he has been here already for 3 and the time is cut if you join the military.
The problem is what you stated. I told him that, even if get in, your job selection will not be good and it is virtually impossible to change an MOS once you enter the military. You are pretty much stuck with what you got.
If you don't want him to join, why not just say so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2011, 11:22 AM
 
9,345 posts, read 15,780,146 times
Reputation: 17142
Plenty of jobs for non-citizens. As stated, service will fast track his citizenship process. If he's only doing a tour, who cares if he can't transfer MOSs? I've known many senior NCOs who have had multiple MOSs. Hell, I've known E-4s with two MOSs. It sounds like YOU are the one with the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top