Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 02:55 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I'm a Disabled vet.

Considering a few years federal. (NOT until Retirement)

Got a resource or thread I can untangle about this?

(Looking to KEEP my retirement, and just make the paycheck)

Thanks
I don't know what it's called, but you can roll all your military into your government job, but it costs $$$$$!!

Last edited by Crew Chief; 09-01-2011 at 12:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 06:26 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
I'm a Disabled vet.

Considering a few years federal. (NOT until Retirement)

Got a resource or thread I can untangle about this?

(Looking to KEEP my retirement, and just make the paycheck)

Thanks
I've been retired for over a decade now but as I recall you can roll your pension into a Federal Civil Service Pension like I did. It worked for me because mine is an unusual situation. I retired with 11 years service. I would hate for you to take anything I say as worth more than you are paying for it. Check with OPM on what the actual rules are.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:58 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,344,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradosaurus View Post
Not worry though. The congressmen will still get their full pensions at the minimum 62 years of age with 5 years of service because isn't that what really matters?
People still spread this tired old rumor around without doing the least bit of research, because it's inflammatory and reads well on a message board. It does have the disadvantage of not being remotely true.

http://www.senate.gov/reference/reso...df/RL30631.pdf

PolitiFact Rhode Island | Email message says members of Congress get a full pension for serving just one term

snopes.com: Congressional Pensions

Old 09-01-2011, 11:08 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I've been retired for over a decade now but as I recall you can roll your pension into a Federal Civil Service Pension like I did. It worked for me because mine is an unusual situation. I retired with 11 years service. I would hate for you to take anything I say as worth more than you are paying for it. Check with OPM on what the actual rules are.

Is it possible to get your seniority (But not the time towards retirement) without loosing the Military check?

Thank you. And when/If it's closer I will.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:17 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradosaurus View Post
Not worry though. The congressmen will still get their full pensions at the minimum 62 years of age with 5 years of service because isn't that what really matters?

You might want to do a little more research on the statement you made here.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:31 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,226,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
People still spread this tired old rumor around without doing the least bit of research, because it's inflammatory and reads well on a message board. It does have the disadvantage of not being remotely true.

PolitiFact Rhode Island | Email message says members of Congress get a full pension for serving just one term

Thank you...I've been posting this on about three emails a month.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post

If only they would retire.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Is it possible to get your seniority (But not the time towards retirement) without loosing the Military check?

Thank you. And when/If it's closer I will.
Again, I retired in 1998, so I wouldn't hazard a guess what the rules are now concerning that.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I don't know what it's called, but you can roll all your military into your government job, but it costs $$$$$!!
You are right, as I recall I paid over $3000 to buy back that time. Not that it was a lot of money when you consider I retired from the Government with only 10 years service there and 11 in the Army

Old 09-02-2011, 08:43 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
You are right, as I recall I paid over $3000 to buy back that time. Not that it was a lot of money when you consider I retired from the Government with only 10 years service there and 11 in the Army
I had a friend who bought his 4 years in the Marines back and cost him about $2,000 per year.......

Last edited by Crew Chief; 09-03-2011 at 05:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues