U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 05:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,154 times

Advertisements

Our son is in the army in El Paso. He has a 2 yr old son who he was sharing custody with the childs mom. The childs mom has a pending child abuse charge against her. So, our sons child is staying with him for a minimum of the next 6 months. He is hoping to extend this to permament full custody or atleast custodialship. He lives in the barracks and cannot seem to get out to facilities better suited to raising children. Our son cannot seem to get the help he needs....does anyone know what he should do? Many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 05:48 PM

16,119 posts, read 20,198,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukesbbq View Post
Our son is in the army in El Paso. He has a 2 yr old son who he was sharing custody with the childs mom. The childs mom has a pending child abuse charge against her. So, our sons child is staying with him for a minimum of the next 6 months. He is hoping to extend this to permament full custody or atleast custodialship. He lives in the barracks and cannot seem to get out to facilities better suited to raising children. Our son cannot seem to get the help he needs....does anyone know what he should do? Many thanks
You are the childs grandparents, I would get custody of him.
Your son is in the Army, he has to be deployable.
Contact an Attorney

Old 08-25-2011, 06:28 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,983,369 times
Have your son see his 1SG (after the appropriate Chain of Command has been utilized). He should be able to either get qtrs or to receive BAH that would enable him to get his own place off post.

How long has your son been in Service? He really should know how this works...
I* do wish him good luck with his child. It is really hard to be a single parent but I am sure that he will do a terrific job.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:20 AM

14,693 posts, read 22,522,089 times
Might also check with his Chaplain to see what services are available. He doesn't have the child with him in the barracks, does he?

Old 08-26-2011, 02:26 PM

128 posts, read 245,935 times
He SHOULD be receiving BAH if he has the child more then 50% of the time. He needs to apply for BAH! Also, since he will be deployed in the future you need to seek an attorney to assist you in getting temp custody when he deploys.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:42 PM

900 posts, read 2,828,087 times
Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
You are the childs grandparents, I would get custody of him.
Your son is in the Army, he has to be deployable.
Contact an Attorney
What would ultimately be in the best interest of your grandchild is for you to step up to the plate and help this little boy. Your son is not in the best position to help but maybe you could be?

Old 08-29-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
What would ultimately be in the best interest of your grandchild is for you to step up to the plate and help this little boy. Your son is not in the best position to help but maybe you could be?
I'm not the OP, glad to see you agree with me though. If it was my grandchild I would be there taking custody

Old 08-30-2011, 06:28 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,983,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I'm not the OP, glad to see you agree with me though. If it was my grandchild I would be there taking custody
The only time that temporary custody should be given is IF and WHEN the Father is actually deployed! Until then there is absolutely NO reason why tis Father and child should NOT be together. Getting qtrs or BAH is too easy and unless the Father is abusive then the Grandparents should leave their loving noses OUT of any custody arrangements!

There is NO REASON that a single Soldier should not be perfectly capable of raising his own child1 If/when deployment does become an issue it is easy enough to give temporary custody to the Grandparents it is done with each and every deployment in the ENTIRE US Military.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:35 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,266,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movin-on-up2011 View Post
He SHOULD be receiving BAH if he has the child more then 50% of the time. He needs to apply for BAH! Also, since he will be deployed in the future you need to seek an attorney to assist you in getting temp custody when he deploys.
100% correct. If he has legal custody he is ENTITLED to BAH.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
The only time that temporary custody should be given is IF and WHEN the Father is actually deployed! Until then there is absolutely NO reason why tis Father and child should NOT be together. Getting qtrs or BAH is too easy and unless the Father is abusive then the Grandparents should leave their loving noses OUT of any custody arrangements!

There is NO REASON that a single Soldier should not be perfectly capable of raising his own child1 If/when deployment does become an issue it is easy enough to give temporary custody to the Grandparents it is done with each and every deployment in the ENTIRE US Military.
If that is true then there is no reason for concern, everything is honky dorie, no problem. Apparently there was a concern or this thread would not exist. My family was pennyless for three months after I was sent to Vietnam with no pay. Had it not been for my parents taking them in they could have rotted waiting for the Army to help them. Don't even approach the subject with my wife unless you have half an hour to listen to it. I'm not ragging on the Army but Crap happens and you don't want your grandchildren caught in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues