Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 12:25 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,877,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylijah View Post
He did mention recruiting. What are the downsides to that, besides the long hours?

He also mentioned switching to the army. What would happen if he switched over? Would he have to leave for a couple months to train?

He gets his BA in business and human resources in August. Should he just scratch the whole military thing all together?
Depending on where you are recruiting the lack of a military installation and a support network. It's also a high pressure/high stress job regardless of the hours. He would leave for a couple of months to go to San Diego to train. I'm going to PM you my info. I actually recruit not from you. I can arrange to have your husband come on Recruiter's Assistance and also maybe even set him up to where he will end up recruiting close to where you are now, which mitigates a lot of the problems associated with recruiting duty.

You said your husband is bi-lingual. What languages? What ethinic background is he? How old is he? The reasons I ask these questions because he may be able to get a commission as an officer realtively easy once his degree is complete. He could put in a Warrant Officer package as well. The Marine Corps is having trouble meeting it's quota for Officer's for certain minority groups and women so if you meet the wickets you pretty much get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I was forced out due to 'High-Year-Tenure'.

During the Clinton draw-down era. The Navy easily drew down E3s, E4s and E5s; by simply refusing to allow them to re-enlist. Only those who had the highest Personnel Evaluations were allowed to re-up, approximately the top 10%.

E7s, E8s and E9s however were left alone. So under the projections for the draw-down those pay-grades were severely over-manned. [150% to 200% over-manned]

In about 1995 to 2002 there were a great many of us E6s who were all eligible to make advancement, but there were no open billets to advance up into.

On my last sub for example, I was stationed in the Navigation Center. A billeted 9 man division, which normally has a spread of pay-grades: 1 or 2 E6s, 3 or 4 E5s, and 4 or 5 E4s. Instead we had 8 E6s and one E5. The entire herd of us E6s were all eligible for advancement to E7, but the Navy already had far too many E7s. So none of us could advance. As each of us approached our HTY dates were were booted out.

I hit my HYT date in 2001.

My mom was one of those E5s affected by this in the Marine Corps. Back when the drawdown was happening the Marine Corps had a program for infantry SNCOs to latmove into other MOSs rather than get out. This created a situation in my mom's MOS where there were no SNCO openings for years and all of the SNCOs were not originally from the MOS. They had to be trained by their jr Marines. My mom reached tenure at 13yrs as a Sgt and never even had the opportunity to get promoted to Staff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 03:28 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,586,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I was forced out due to 'High-Year-Tenure'.

During the Clinton draw-down era. The Navy easily drew down E3s, E4s and E5s; by simply refusing to allow them to re-enlist. Only those who had the highest Personnel Evaluations were allowed to re-up, approximately the top 10%.

E7s, E8s and E9s however were left alone. So under the projections for the draw-down those pay-grades were severely over-manned. [150% to 200% over-manned]

In about 1995 to 2002 there were a great many of us E6s who were all eligible to make advancement, but there were no open billets to advance up into.

On my last sub for example, I was stationed in the Navigation Center. A billeted 9 man division, which normally has a spread of pay-grades: 1 or 2 E6s, 3 or 4 E5s, and 4 or 5 E4s. Instead we had 8 E6s and one E5. The entire herd of us E6s were all eligible for advancement to E7, but the Navy already had far too many E7s. So none of us could advance. As each of us approached our HTY dates were were booted out.

I hit my HYT date in 2001.

Forest,

I felt your pain, when I enlisted as an ET in the navy in 1990, my recruiter was extremely good to me as he sat me down over lunch the week before we went to MEPS and showed and explained to me about CREO and ratings manning. He also gave me a Blue Jacket manual and told me to read about the different rates. One of the reasons I picked ET was because of the CREO for ET which at that time was 78% critically undermanned. To make ET2 all you had to do was pass the test. In the middle of A school in 91 the CC's called us into a all hands meeting and told us about how the post cold war cutbacks affected ET's. We went from 78% critically undermanned to 138% critically overmanned. The Pass score was moved to around 165 for my entire career of 4 years. To get to 165 I needed a 4.0, a perfect score, and then a few PNA points.

I went to my first duty station and during my time the base was selected for decommissioning. I was within 3 months of my 4 year mark at this time, during a tour of Europe the detailer for the ET's visited us "there were about 11 of us" he basically said I can drop everybody's two year extension and let you out within a couple of months.

Looking back if I the ratings manning were not out of whack and I could have made rank I would have probably stayed.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:54 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,877,586 times
@Bellhead and Forest Beekeeper

sad part is, peopel are feling the pain all over again, this stuffs definitley seems to go in cycles.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:58 AM

39 posts, read 113,690 times
Good news...my husband was selected by the board. The promotion won't actually go into affect until Jan though. His number (or place in line, basically) is in the thousands and they are only promoting 250 this month.

We had a talk last night about the 'what ifs' and I told him that if he didn't get it, I would join the air force because I would be an officer if I did. I'm not sure he liked that idea...good thing it didn't come down to that.

Macjr: My husband speaks English and Spanish (both fluently - he is Dominican) and is 26-years-old. He should have his degree within the next 6 months and is a black belt (if that matters?)

Last edited by Jaylijah; 09-23-2011 at 09:12 AM..

Old 09-23-2011, 09:22 AM

934 posts, read 1,933,154 times
That's great to hear, congrats to your husband Best wishes for a long and happy career.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:24 AM

2,635 posts, read 3,502,947 times
Quote:
Good news...my husband was selected by the board. The promotion won't actually go into affect until Jan though. His number (or place in line, basically) is in the thousands and they are only promoting 250 this month.
Congratulations on the promotion! As a friend of mine told me: "In this economy, keeping your job is your promotion"

Quote:
We had a talk last night about the 'what ifs' and I told him that if he didn't get it, I would join the air force because I would be an officer if I did. I'm not sure he liked that idea...good thing it didn't come down to that.
Right now, the USAF's officer pipeline is effectively shut down. Almost all new officers are coming from the Academy or ROTC; competition for OTS slots is incredibly fierce. The only exceptions are medical and legal, and even in these shortage fields the USAF has gotten very stringent.

Quote:
Macjr: My husband speaks English and Spanish (both fluently - he is Dominican) and is 26-years-old. He should have his degree within the next 6 months and is a black belt (if that matters?)
With the language skills, see if the USMC has a language program. If he gets a language coded assigment, then he can get bonus money depending on how well he scores. I spent three years in SOUTHCOM and that $500/month always made my wife happy

Old 08-29-2018, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 900 times
Hello, My name is gabrielle
my BF was army medic
i believe E4 and he should of been E 5 because of many years he's been in.
he finally got out nov 2017 because he didn't make rank. is there any resource
that can help him get on his feet
he needs help with job wise

Old 08-29-2018, 05:33 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,032,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gheron1 View Post
Hello, My name is gabrielle
my BF was army medic
i believe E4 and he should of been E 5 because of many years he's been in.
he finally got out nov 2017 because he didn't make rank. is there any resource
that can help him get on his feet
he needs help with job wise

All services provide a mandatory transition workshop for separating individuals. He attended it before he got out. Some posts are better than others and at best it is pretty generic. Either way, everyone that separates from the military should have learned a few life skills while they were in and finding jobs should not be overly difficult.

That said, the same issues that kept him from being promoted in the military, especially as a medic, will hold him back in the real world.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:04 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,295,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnfdc View Post
All services provide a mandatory transition workshop for separating individuals. He attended it before he got out. Some posts are better than others and at best it is pretty generic. Either way, everyone that separates from the military should have learned a few life skills while they were in and finding jobs should not be overly difficult.

That said, the same issues that kept him from being promoted in the military, especially as a medic, will hold him back in the real world.
It is unfortunate but those ranks are EASY to make, so this usually indicates issues with performance, capacity, willingness to follow rules or authority, or some other issue that resulted in lack of promotion.

He should have job training and The GI Bill to go to college, and he yes, he would have had a transition workshop to help with job placement. What he does with the info is up to him.

LinkedIn is a good place to find many Veteran friendly hiring agencies- search "veteran" "Transition" Veteran's transition" "military transition" and other such terms to find people there that specific help vets find work.

Good luck!

Old 09-04-2018, 02:02 PM

948 posts, read 1,249,330 times
Don't know the area you live in, but he could apply to civilian hospitals, clinics or nursing homes or doctor offices for a job.
There are various vet organizations like American Legion, DAV, VFW , and others who could help.
My dad was an E-9, a chief mastersargent in the USAF. He retired in 1975 after 33 years in the military. 3 Army Air corps and 30 Airforce. When he got out, he was offered a computer job by a civilian he had worked with at Randolph AFB.It would be working for HEB the big south Texas grocery store chain. Daddy turned it down, because he didn't want to move and was tired of computers.So he got a job working for the local school district.He was one of those lucky guys who was always promoted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues