U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 06:09 PM

455 posts, read 818,121 times

Advertisements

Does anybody have info or a link for military veteran housing for seniors? A friend of mine is an 85 yr old Korean War Veteran. His family is researching assistant living for him. All I can find are housing programs for veterans seeking to purchase houses. Not much for helping senior veterans. Appeciate any help in this type of programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 06:15 PM

890 posts, read 1,525,478 times
What state? Was the individual an officer or were they enlisted? What branch?

I honestly don't know much about it - but I do know the Air Force has several homes, and the other services may as well. There's also a Armed Forces retirement home in Gulfport, MS and Washington, DC. More info will probably provide better information.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:20 PM

Sorry. He's living in Orange County CA. I was told he was enlisted and served as a Marine.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chgodon View Post
Sorry. He's living in Orange County CA. I was told he was enlisted and served as a Marine.
No problem - I'm assuming they want to keep him around the same area. I would probably start by calling the local CalVet office and see if they can point you in the right direction.

http://www.cdva.ca.gov/

http://www.cdva.ca.gov/VetHomes/WestLA.aspx

Please don't take my word as gospel, but you may want to call some of the people here as well.

http://www.careforcalifornia.net/lis...sing_homes.htm

http://www.veterans-express.com/vetdirectory.asp

Last edited by dbbd; 09-25-2011 at 07:03 PM..

Old 09-25-2011, 10:18 PM

25,203 posts, read 41,196,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
There's also a Armed Forces retirement home
Only certain veterans are eligible for the Armed Forces retirement home:

Quote:
Eligibility
Veteran Persons are eligible to become residents of Armed Forces Retirement Home (AFRH) who served as members of the Armed Forces, at least one-half of whose service was not active commissioned service (other than as a warrant officer or limited-duty officer), are eligible to become residents of the Retirement Home:

are 60 years of age or over; and were discharged or released from service in the Armed Forces under honorable conditions after 20 or more years of active service.

Persons who are determined under rules prescribed by the Chief Operating Officer to be incapable of earning a livelihood because of a service-connected disability incurred in the line of duty in the Armed Forces.

served in a war theater during a time of war declared by Congress or were eligible for hostile fire special pay were discharged or released from service in the Armed Forces under honorable conditions; and are determined under rules prescribed by the Chief Operating Officer to be incapable of earning a livelihood because of injuries, disease, or disability.

served in a women's component of the Armed Forces before June 12, 1948; and are determined under rules prescribed by the Chief Operating Officer to be eligible for admission because of compelling personal circumstances.
Persons ineligible to be residents :
A person who has been convicted of a felony or is not free of drug, alcohol, or psychiatric problems shall be ineligible to become a resident of the Retirement Home.
Veteran

Married couples are welcome, but both must be eligible in their own right.
At the time of admission applicants must be able to live independently. As an example of this, they must be able to take care of their own personal needs, attend a central dining facility for meals and keep all medical appointments. If increased health care is needed after being admitted, assisted living and long term care are available at both campuses.
Their Web Site is here: https://www.afrh.gov/afrh/afrhhome.htm
Rich

Old 09-25-2011, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Only certain veterans are eligible for the Armed Forces retirement home:

Rich
Which is why I said we needed more info....it's a starting point. Thanks.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:22 AM

I don't believe he served 20 yrs. He is also single.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
I don't believe he served 20 yrs. He is also single.
I would still call the local Veterans Organizations and see if they can help out. The internet is an amazing thing, but we could still easily miss out. Try the "big ones" - Department of Veterans Affairs, Cal Vet, etc. But also try some others on the bottom of the list above.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:48 AM

16,134 posts, read 20,760,860 times
Quote:
Does anybody have info or a link for military veteran housing for seniors? A friend of mine is an 85 yr old Korean War Veteran. His family is researching assistant living for him. All I can find are housing programs for veterans seeking to purchase houses. Not much for helping senior veterans. Appeciate any help in this type of programs.
Most Veterans Homes are run by the various states and subsidized by the VA. Contact your state Department of Veterans Affairs

Old 09-28-2011, 11:26 AM

3,307 posts, read 3,868,644 times
Quote:
He may qualify for the Veterans Home program. It is pretty much like a nursing home but specifically for veterans. They are not located everywhere so if he qualifies he may have to move somewhere else if there is not one available to him in his area. Just google Veterans Home and I am sure you will get to one. Heck, just type Ambrosio Guillen-El Paso and you will find it. From there you may be able to get to one that is closer to home. Give him my thanks and my thanks and my salute. Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or