Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 10:17 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,447,809 times

Advertisements

I don't know much about being admitted.
I know I almost went 18 years ago, and all you had to do was show up at the recruiter and sign some papers and you were good to go.
(fwiw my mom at the time got a job at pitt so i got free tuition, so the reason for me going was negated)

Reason I'm asking is..I have a sister in law and a 18 year old nephew(who graduated h.s. last year) and he has supposedly been trying to go since he graduated and there keeps popping up excuses why he has to wait and wait. First it was airforce, then marines, now the army.

And the sister-in-law keeps running into problems financially..rent, auto repair whatever and I keep having to fund the bills. She's 5 hours away so I can't exactly check whats going on at regular inervals either.
She works, but low paying job and her 2 kids (the 18 year old and a 20 year old girl) don't work. The girl is in community college, still should be working but I'll give her benefit of the doubt as long as shes in school. But the boy keeps saying hes going to the miliary and its alwasy a problem, from his new tattoo wouldn't let him to now..supposedly he says obama isn't letting him. It seems to me like he just doesn't want to go or do anything, or maybe he failed a drug test or something (hes an ok kid but young, inner city he probably at least tokes a little from time to time).

So I just want to know if there is something going on in the miliary where its hard to get in now? I don't mind helping out the sister-in-law from time to time but every month, when she has adult children who should be helping out..if hes just being lazy I need to put the foot down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 10:23 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,514,065 times
It is more difficult now to get into the military than in some past periods. But there will be some people who always have excuses why they can't do something.

It would be just pure speculation about why your relative can not get in.

Rich

Old 10-01-2011, 10:53 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,596,453 times
Once you're in, I don't think the beginning is a gravy train. Maybe he's not ready to put all that time and commitment. If he has a girlfriends that could be holding him back, but I think he's having trouble. I heard a number of people lately who keep getting postponed, or they don't meet the requirements, or they have a bad knee, etc.... Military isn't desperate for recruits like in the past.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:12 AM

3,069 posts, read 8,865,167 times
Actually it is pretty hard to get in. IF you have an issue, to include tattoos. Heck it's difficult to get in with little to no issues. Where is his tattoo located and what is it of?

Old 10-01-2011, 11:23 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,447,809 times
its a big eagle going from the front of his shoulder over to top of his chest.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:50 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,274,965 times
Either he is lying, or there is something on his criminal/credit/drug records she doesn't know about. It's hard, but it's not *that* hard.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:57 AM

3,069 posts, read 8,865,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
its a big eagle going from the front of his shoulder over to top of his chest.

depending on what type of eagle it is (like Aryan Nation) he'd be disqualified. It doesn't matter if he is in it or not. I've seen guy disqualified for this from the Navy, I've also seen a guy disqualified for having a 5 point crown. He had no criminal record and said the tattoo had nothing to do with a gang, but it's a gang symbol so he was DQ'd.

Also for the Marines if that tattoo is above his collar bone on his chest or was exposed in the V in the short sleeve khaki shirt, he'd be DQ'd, AF if it showed in a V neck, Navy above a white T. I believe the Army increased their tattoo standards recently, but don't know the details.

The likelihood of getting DQ'd for a tattoo from most likely to least is USMC and USAF (about the same), then Navy, then Army.

The guys story probably went like this. Went to AF first, was strung along (or more likely strung his self along) becuase he had a low ASVAB, some minor legal issues, or likely just because the local AF station did not simply have any open spots to put him in. Then he graduates, is tired of waiting on AF recruiter and starts working with the Marines, but now since is he is grad and not a senior he is at the back of the line as USMC enlsited recruiting is focused on High Schools and Community Colleges. In the mean time he gets a disqualifying tattoo and the marines can't do anything with him and now he is working with the Army. Even now he has to get in line behind all of the people who've walked in the office before him. Plus, as all recruiters talk with each other, they know he's hopped from service to service and might hold off on him for a bit to test his commitment.

I see it everyday.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:57 AM

2,635 posts, read 3,498,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Either he is lying, or there is something on his criminal/credit/drug records she doesn't know about. It's hard, but it's not *that* hard.
I think he's bluffing. Look him in the eye and ask him who's his recruiter.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:04 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,353,227 times
I'm not sure why you're continuing to help people who aren't willing to help themselves. I would cut off giving any money and see what happens.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:10 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,206,541 times
There is Tier one, two, and three. Depending on numbers, only Tier ones are taken, then Tier two, you can increase your liklihood of acceptance, by ROTC attendance, or something similar, having better grades, one year of college.

But it is not like it used to be, when there was the draft, and everyone went in, or during the war, when if you were 4-F, you could go enlist, and they would find a place for you. Back then, if you wanted to get in, they would take you.

But, if he is just wasting time, and can't get in the military, there is job corps, city corps, and other programs, where they give you a stipend and job training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues