U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2011, 10:29 AM

777 posts, read 921,567 times

Advertisements

I am a female Vet that ETS'd in 91. While the article is primarily about women Vets post 9/11, I too had a hard time finding employment. I was also asked alot of the questions during interview that the women in the article faced altho I never put 2 and 2 together. As a female Veteran have YOU had a hard time finding employment? How did you deal with it? If you have found employment please share what worked for you and help someone else overcome the unemployment hurdle! If you are having a hard time please share how you are coping. Share your experiences good and bad. Lets help each other!!
Fellas, feel free to comment but please keep it to Women Veterans you have known.
Thanks Tmwnn for the heads up...

A Harder Road Home for Women Vets | Military.com

Last edited by Chanygirl; 10-27-2011 at 11:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 10:40 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,141,927 times
I'm not one, but since I was dating one recently... hopefully you won't mind my $0.02

She had no more issues than anyone else.

(Also working on her PHD)

Old 10-28-2011, 08:54 AM

167 posts, read 393,624 times
I guess I don't have much experience to add. I ETS'd ten years ago and quickly found another IT job once I got out. Then layoff's happened and I had trouble finding anything. Unemployment wasn't paying for childcare so I made the decision to become a stay at home mom. I had hoped to go back to work once my kids were in school but life didn't work out that way.

I was hoping when I do start looking for employment that being a female, disabled veteran would help fill a quota somewhere. Now that companies are giving tax breaks for hiring military spouses I was hoping that would help as well. I guess I'll have to let you know when that time comes.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:15 PM

5,104 posts, read 6,042,502 times
as a female vet, to answer your question didn't have a problem. but i can't speak for tomorrow. economy is tough and times are hard, regardless of gender or military service

Old 10-28-2011, 08:49 PM

4,053 posts, read 4,518,245 times
When I was looking for employment I found it difficult to find a goverment job. I was aggravated because I was getting the run around about specific documents I need for the various jobs I applied.

A VA VR counselor advised me to call the VA director in DC and explain the problem. So I called him and give him the job announcements. The following day I received calls and email from the jobs I had applied. I was qualified for all the jobs I applied for and had the disabled veterans preference so I was a good candidate for all of them. After that I found I have a disorder that won't allow me to work full time. I could not take the job offer.But about a week later the director followed up with him to make sure I was treated with care as a veteran. It was a good experience.

I am not sure what direction you would go in with a regular non goverment job. But if you are looking into a goverment job , follow the guild lines to make sure you qualify, send all your documents on time, follow up with them but sometimes it takes a while to hear back.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:31 PM

866 posts, read 931,292 times
When I ETS'd it was 1978. I became a stay-at-home mom shortly after that. Used my GI bill to get an AAS degree (2 years of school) in a field similar to my MOS. Don't feel like I had a problem finding a job, just not a good paying one.
All the jobs I've had have been for minimum wage, and within the last 7-8 years they've been only part-time. Now I'm not able to work at all and am on Disability. If it were to end up that I would HAVE to go back to work for whatever reason, I don't think I would have as much success with finding suitable work with a livab le wage.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:46 AM

886 posts, read 4,547,950 times
My best advice to you is stop concentrating on the female veteran part and concentrate on the best qualified candidate part.

There are tons of veterans out there looking for jobs as well as non vets. The job market is very completive. To suggest that an employer should hire you before a better qualified candidate because you are a female veteran is just sexist!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues