U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 06:45 AM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times

Advertisements

Every US servicemember is paid a salary.

US servicemembers are not poor and destitute. They are not homeless beggars.

The majority of my 20+ year career was spent deployed. I was deployed in a time when the public did not send 'care packages' to it's deployed personnel. During a large portion of my Active Duty career the American public openly hated the military, and I served in that era.

I have mixed feelings about the entire issue of 'care packages'. To me it seems rather insulting. Are we saying that we have people who work for the US government, who are homeless, un-paid and they must now beg for stuff?

I do not agree with all of the OP's professor' attitude. I do however think it is wrong that our nation has became a world-wide empire enforcing US law on so much foreign soil. Should we truly have hundreds of bases scattered across the globe? to bolster so many other nations? And we do project all of this power by killing people. He is right in that context.

I find it amusing to read about people sending frozen foods, and all sorts of contraband. That is funny.

I did not serve in Desert Storm. I served before, during and after Desert Storm, but I was already deployed so I was not included in Desert Storm. Afterwards I did rub elbows with Desert Storm vets and I have been told stories about them digging holes in which to bury a lot of the junk that civilians had sent them. So much got landfilled. So much gets wasted.

People gave with good intent, and they were likely proud of their giving. It would have been quicker to simply haul their knitted goods and candies to a local landfill. Or give to goodwill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 03:29 PM

11,987 posts, read 10,680,497 times
As a current service member, I agree with forest that it's silly to think that soldiers "need" care packages. We don't. However, they're nice to get -- and more importantly, it's one of the few things that civilains do to stay connected to the war effort. We have been in a shooting war in which Americans die every week for the past ten years. I don't think the public should forget that. It's sad that so many of them have. If they don't like the wars, great -- they should be actively trying to end them through legal channels. To just pretend they're not going on though? That's kind of weird, is it not?

Old 11-15-2011, 05:45 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,216,879 times
Having been a recipient of said care packages when I was in theater I fully support sending them. However, I find the professor's remarks way beyond tasteless.

I hate, and I mean HATE, when folks align my job w/ the decisions of our government. I don't understand why they simply label us killers and the like. The US military does not send itself to war. Your beloved politicians do, soldiers/Marines etc simply fight said war.

Yes, I know: "no one forces you to join". And that's fine. But what I'm saying is this: why can't people understand the US military as an instrument of war?

I agree w/ the above; if you don't like the war there's nothing wrong w/ that. But stop barking up the wrong tree. Go through the proper channels.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:15 PM

9,371 posts, read 17,488,660 times
I believe this clown in question attended college at Moscow University back in the late 60's, so you can guess where his political convictions lie.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:26 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,216,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I believe this clown in question attended college at Moscow University back in the late 60's, so you can guess where his political convictions lie.
A little detail that would be hard to ignore.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:57 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,958,123 times
This makes me mad.

Ive adopted 7, yes, 7 sailors aboard my fiance's ship. I send them packages regularly filled with things they cant get where they are. I send them movies the ship cant get, I send them bodywash because the ships store runs out, sodas they miss from home. I decorate those boxes each and every time by hand JUST to get a smile out of them. Birthdays, Christmas, Halloween, and just because. I never miss their birthdays or ANY holiday.
And it works. They smile, they laugh, they get a kick out of things, little things you wouldnt think would be much. At the moment Im in the process of packaging up a small decorated Christmas tree for those in his department that wont get to go home this year. At least there will be Christmas SOMEWHERE there, and maybe it will make someone happy.

They arent destitute, they ARE paid but they work their butts off,are often thousands of miles from home, they miss their families (I have two sailors that I am the ONLY person thats ever bothered to send them anything and ask how their day is). Sometimes that box is the first smile they've had in days and a reminder that someone DOES care.
They all know if they want something from home, ALL they need do is send word and its theirs, and for some jerk to go through those boxes that people sent trying to bring a smile to some soldier/sailors face just makes me sick.

Those things may not be worth anything to YOU, but they may mean quite a bit to those who receive them.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:16 AM

488 posts, read 438,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I have several choice of words to call this man but...

...that was one of the reasons why I joined the Army in the first place: to fight and possibly die for that flag, while defending the rights of my fellow countrymen and women....even if I do not agree with what they have to say.

That is the "beauty" of it all: men and women have died to keep this country free as well as its citizens....and those same citizens turn around and criticize the very same people who have allowed them to do such thing.

Amazing.

Mr. Avery, you are welcome!
It's just so unfortunate that he, and folks like him, will never see things that way. Rather than being thankful for the men and women that protect us for very little compensation, these people would rather call them murderers.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:44 AM

11,987 posts, read 10,680,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Having been a recipient of said care packages when I was in theater I fully support sending them. However, I find the professor's remarks way beyond tasteless.

I hate, and I mean HATE, when folks align my job w/ the decisions of our government. I don't understand why they simply label us killers and the like. The US military does not send itself to war. Your beloved politicians do, soldiers/Marines etc simply fight said war.

Yes, I know: "no one forces you to join". And that's fine. But what I'm saying is this: why can't people understand the US military as an instrument of war?

I agree w/ the above; if you don't like the war there's nothing wrong w/ that. But stop barking up the wrong tree. Go through the proper channels.
I am in complete agreement with you, 66. And here's the thing -- yes, no one forced me to join, but I did. You know why? Not because I'm a mercenary whose in it for the money or because I love war. I joined because I believe in this country. How naive, huh? I still believe that on the whole we're a force for good in the world and most of the time we'll do the right thing. That's why I serve. Again, those who don't think this is the right war at this time should exercise their rights as Americans and do something about it -- take to the streets, use the media, elect different representatives ... don't hate me though for loving this country. I am still proud to be in a country where we are free to express our opinions and chart our own courses.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:13 AM

24,133 posts, read 38,871,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Ive adopted 7, yes, 7 sailors aboard my fiance's ship. I send them packages regularly filled with things they cant get where they are. I send them movies the ship cant get, I send them bodywash because the ships store runs out, sodas they miss from home. I decorate those boxes each and every time by hand JUST to get a smile out of them. Birthdays, Christmas, Halloween, and just because. I never miss their birthdays or ANY holiday.
And it works. They smile, they laugh, they get a kick out of things, little things you wouldnt think would be much.
Thank you for those types of "Packages".

They do bring happiness for many. My mother could not really bake cookies on my first unaccompanied assignment many years ago. But her friends could. Forty+ years later I can still remember the cookies and notes from those family friends...

I remember one time a guy in our section getting a large batch of home made cookies. Enough for everyone and everyone got some...

Rich

Old 11-16-2011, 10:54 AM

4,919 posts, read 19,125,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
and for some jerk to go through those boxes that people sent trying to bring a smile to some soldier/sailors face just makes me sick.
I think you are failing to comprehend what I said, and as a result you are commenting in a irrational emotional manner based on an interprettaion all created in your own mind. So I'll repharse it in more smaller words that everyone can understand.

1. If you send a package to a servicemember by name through their regular APO, FPO or WhateverPO, the people who go through it will be military on the receiving end. That package is intended for a specific persona nd what you decide to put int he box is between you and the receiver. So long as illegal and contraband is not included, they really don;t care one bit what you spent your money on since YOU have paid the entire frieght. If you have a problem, speak to the military about what they are doing.

2. If you are sending by the generic "ServiceMan or ServiceWomen" package via US mail, that gets sent to a military distribution center that decides where to ship it and for what unit. It may go to Iraq or it may go to Japan or Korea, or even Hawaii or any militray base in the US for distribution. There is no assurance it will go to a war zone. These packages are inspected for contraband and illegal items, AND for appropriateness for the delivered location. If its going to service members in Cuba, belive me the knit mittens won;t be going, those will get repackaged for somepleace more appropriate. Those velor bath robes with a scene of Seattle at night, that will never end up in a war zone but some other location (may not even be military if its to odd even for the military)

3. Sponsored collection and care packages are done through a militray unit (or a expereinced service group). Lets say the local Guard unit is deployed in Iraq, if you contact the unit here they can arrange a care package project. Usually they will tell you what is acceptable and they will tell you what isn;t acceptable. These packages are reviewd by the local units officers before being consigned for shipping. They are considered at that point to be military cargo. Most will tell you right away if the items being donated will be diverted or not. At times they collect rejected items because its hard to turn someone away and they donate the rejected items to veteran organizations or homes.

4. Those general comunity, school and feel good collections (without any sponsorahip) are the ones that have the most diverted items. Because its not geared towards anyone, nobody but the people are doing it and the military foots the bill for shipping, these are sent to consolidation centers. These centers are usually ran by the shippers themselves. They receive truck loads of goods colected wherever, whenever for the "troops". At the centers they basicall lay the stuff out and try to package generic care packages appropriate for a specific area of deployment. They also have list of what to include and what to leave out. Certain items due to llimited supplies (usually electronics) are witheld becaue there no real way to appropriately distribute. These contract shippers are paid only for what they ship, not the expense of sorting and packaging. Depending on the contract, they usually keep the excess or rejected items and they have to turn over the contraband and illegal items to fedreal law enforcement. It is my personal opinion that the military wishes these tyope of care package for the troops events would stop because its so much of a hassle for everyone and only makes people feel good until they learn there stuff ended up at some local charity and not the troops.

So please before getting all wound up about these care packages being rummaged through, understand what was written.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues