U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 11:29 AM

23,605 posts, read 30,340,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I believe this clown in question attended college at Moscow University back in the late 60's, so you can guess where his political convictions lie.
University of Moscow, U.S.S.R. 1968-69.

Lemme see, during those years I was overseas fighting a Communist regime having enlisted in 1966 for the princely sum in pay of $89 a month whether I needed it or not.

People like Avery make me sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 06:26 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,340,215 times
I'm having a flashback. This was actually the attitude of at least half of the professors I had while in college. (Which was during Vietnam.)

It was real interesting to hear a professor blast the vets themselves. Then listen to the vets respond. Most just wanted the prof to shut up and teach.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:44 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,218,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I am in complete agreement with you, 66. And here's the thing -- yes, no one forced me to join, but I did. You know why? Not because I'm a mercenary whose in it for the money or because I love war. I joined because I believe in this country. How naive, huh? I still believe that on the whole we're a force for good in the world and most of the time we'll do the right thing. That's why I serve. Again, those who don't think this is the right war at this time should exercise their rights as Americans and do something about it -- take to the streets, use the media, elect different representatives ... don't hate me though for loving this country. I am still proud to be in a country where we are free to express our opinions and chart our own courses.
Exactly. And I like to believe that this professor is in the minority w/ his views as I feel the majority of Americans do support the troops (I love them for it)

Old 11-17-2011, 08:27 AM

930 posts, read 1,576,785 times
He has the right to his opinion, and I have the right to think him a jackass. Sounds fair to me.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:01 AM

11,987 posts, read 10,685,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post
He has the right to his opinion, and I have the right to think him a jackass. Sounds fair to me.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:36 AM

2,836 posts, read 4,025,183 times
It is apparent to me that this Professor doesn't understand the price of freedom that he chooses to excerise. I doubt that he has never lived in a country that would imprision, torture and even kill you if your views conflicted with the powers in charge. He most likely has never seen the result of these things, the anguish of people who choose freedom over tyranny and the price they pay for it. Yes, the guy is a jackass and he speaks out of ignorance.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:43 AM

29,730 posts, read 47,507,271 times
Got spare food coupons? and want to assist military families in need? Food coupons are honoured and they are still 'good' for an additional 6 months beyond their printed expiration date, at all commissaries over-seas. Send them to:

Naval Support Act - Naples
Family Service Center
Attn: Food Coupon Drive
PSC 817, Box 10
FPO-AE 09622

Thank you.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:27 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,463,066 times
My son is in the Army, he has received care packages from various groups, once from a school, and his battalion LOVED the stuff the kids sent. One sent a "Sponge Bob" velcro dart board, he and his buddies thought it was great. They also got beef jerky, phone cards. They really liked all the cute pictures and letters the kids sent. It really cheered him up. He also got a box from a group called "Solider's Angels", and it was a fairly large box, with an interesting collection of rather random items, but he appreciated that someone actually cared. It was not the itemz, it was the thoughtfulness.

So, a big raspberry from a proud military Mom. The people serving like those boxes. And that is what matters.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:24 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,494,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
I think you are failing to comprehend what I said, and as a result you are commenting in a irrational emotional manner based on an interprettaion all created in your own mind. So I'll repharse it in more smaller words that everyone can understand.

1. If you send a package to a servicemember by name through their regular APO, FPO or WhateverPO, the people who go through it will be military on the receiving end. That package is intended for a specific persona nd what you decide to put int he box is between you and the receiver. So long as illegal and contraband is not included, they really don;t care one bit what you spent your money on since YOU have paid the entire frieght. If you have a problem, speak to the military about what they are doing.

2. If you are sending by the generic "ServiceMan or ServiceWomen" package via US mail, that gets sent to a military distribution center that decides where to ship it and for what unit. It may go to Iraq or it may go to Japan or Korea, or even Hawaii or any militray base in the US for distribution. There is no assurance it will go to a war zone. These packages are inspected for contraband and illegal items, AND for appropriateness for the delivered location. If its going to service members in Cuba, belive me the knit mittens won;t be going, those will get repackaged for somepleace more appropriate. Those velor bath robes with a scene of Seattle at night, that will never end up in a war zone but some other location (may not even be military if its to odd even for the military)

3. Sponsored collection and care packages are done through a militray unit (or a expereinced service group). Lets say the local Guard unit is deployed in Iraq, if you contact the unit here they can arrange a care package project. Usually they will tell you what is acceptable and they will tell you what isn;t acceptable. These packages are reviewd by the local units officers before being consigned for shipping. They are considered at that point to be military cargo. Most will tell you right away if the items being donated will be diverted or not. At times they collect rejected items because its hard to turn someone away and they donate the rejected items to veteran organizations or homes.

4. Those general comunity, school and feel good collections (without any sponsorahip) are the ones that have the most diverted items. Because its not geared towards anyone, nobody but the people are doing it and the military foots the bill for shipping, these are sent to consolidation centers. These centers are usually ran by the shippers themselves. They receive truck loads of goods colected wherever, whenever for the "troops". At the centers they basicall lay the stuff out and try to package generic care packages appropriate for a specific area of deployment. They also have list of what to include and what to leave out. Certain items due to llimited supplies (usually electronics) are witheld becaue there no real way to appropriately distribute. These contract shippers are paid only for what they ship, not the expense of sorting and packaging. Depending on the contract, they usually keep the excess or rejected items and they have to turn over the contraband and illegal items to fedreal law enforcement. It is my personal opinion that the military wishes these tyope of care package for the troops events would stop because its so much of a hassle for everyone and only makes people feel good until they learn there stuff ended up at some local charity and not the troops.

So please before getting all wound up about these care packages being rummaged through, understand what was written.
I'm confused, 1st you talked like this:
"These items are ulitmately rejected contents and sooner or later it goes home with one of us." ( talking about electronics ) Then you said: " Thanks for the Kindles". But each post after, you make it sound like everything goes to Vets or charity. In my opinion, if things are being donated that cant be sent, NONE of it should go anywhere but charities. The donor should be owed some respect, and I'm sure they didnt donate to anyone getting paid to do a job. Dont you agree?

Old 11-23-2011, 11:33 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,168,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
I'm confused, 1st you talked like this:
"These items are ulitmately rejected contents and sooner or later it goes home with one of us." ( talking about electronics ) Then you said: " Thanks for the Kindles". But each post after, you make it sound like everything goes to Vets or charity. In my opinion, if things are being donated that cant be sent, NONE of it should go anywhere but charities. The donor should be owed some respect, and I'm sure they didnt donate to anyone getting paid to do a job. Dont you agree?

I received a CD player and a DVD player when I was deployed in Iraq.

This is my second attempt to post this statement. (I tried last week in more detail.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues