U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-27-2007, 10:14 AM

3,293 posts, read 3,971,802 times
Default 'Killing Fields' In Vietnam

'Killing Fields' In Vietnam

A big puzzle-piece of the Vietnam War is largely unknown. It is the Massacre of the Duc Duc Refugee Village in the end of March 1971.
I served and lived (24/7) in the village, under the Marine Corps' Combined Action Program (CAP) and was on the last CAP Team in the village. We left in August 1970, about eight months before the communists burned the 2,000 home village to ashes. Having lived and served (24/7) in the village for five months, I personally feel that the Duc Duc Refugee Village was massacred, because the communists wanted to punish the peasants living there. The reason for this punishment was because for years, the peasants supported the Americans serving in the area. You can read some articles about the massacre at: TERRORISTS TURN 2,000 HOME VILLAGE INTO AN ASHTRAY

What makes this massacre a nice, Vietnam War puzzle-piece is its timing.

These are the two biggest news stories at the time of the Duc Duc Resettlement Village Massacre.

March 29 - William Calley is found guilty of 22 murders in My Lai massacre and sentenced to life in prison. He is later pardoned.

March 29 - A Los Angeles, California jury recommends the death penalty for Charles Manson and three female followers.

It was also the period, when John Kerry was appearing on television and radio news shows condemning American men and women, who were fighting for the freedom of the Vietnamese People. At the time, the American News Media was portraying America's military as village burners and much worse... (Under this cover, the village was massacred.)

The Massacre of the Duc Duc village was in the American evening news six (6) times. CBS, NBC and ABC each had it on twice. (It was never mentioned on evening news again.) In contrast, the My Lai massacre has been in the news hundreds of times over the years. (I have proof of this at: DUC DUC REFUGEE VILLAGE MASSACRE (broken link) )

I'm hoping that the story of the Duc Duc Massacre gets picked up by today's American News Media. The massacre fits more today than any other day since the massacre...

I had many Vietnamese friends in the village. I want them remembered. And I want the Americans, who died trying to protect all Vietnamese, remembered.
Sincerely,
Jack Cunningham

---------------------

DUC DUC REFUGEE VILLAGE MASSACRE (broken link)

CBC Evening News for Wednesday, Mar 31, 1971 - REPORTER: Walter Cronkite
Saigon announces North Vietnam attacked Duc Duc, South Vietnam, last Sunday; killed 200 civilians.

NBC Evening News for Wednesday, Mar 31, 1971 - REPORTER: Frank Mcgee
North Vietnam attacks Duc Duc, South Vietnam, killing or wounding over 200.

ABC Evening News for Wednesday, Mar 31, 1971 - REPORTER: Harry Reasoner
North Vietnam forces attack Duc Duc, South Vietnam, killing 100 civilians.
CBS Evening News for Friday, Apr 02, 1971 Headline: South Vietnam / Duc Duc
(Duc Duc, South Vietnam) Film shows destroyed village, civilians digging through rubble; 107 known dead, 135 evacuated for treatment; villagers feel South Vietnam didn't help enough to prevent North Vietnam attack.

[ Eyewritness to the attack: Major Franklin TRAPNELL - says heard news of Calley conviction at same time enemy killing civilians at Duc Duc; says this another My Lai perpetuated by enemy this time, with more killed for far less reason; hopes will have some impact on public.] US providing supplies to rebuild village.
REPORTER: Jeff Williams

-------------------------------

'KILLING FIELDS'
BUSH WARNS OF 'KILLING FIELDS' IF AMERICA QUITS IRAQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 10:45 AM

5,301 posts, read 11,479,116 times
Thanks for sharing.

I have always been very interested in the history of the vietnam war - I knew a lot of neighbor boys who ended up over there. I was little but still remember the news reports on TV.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Thanks for sharing.

I have always been very interested in the history of the vietnam war - I knew a lot of neighbor boys who ended up over there. I was little but still remember the news reports on TV.
Thanks!

In order to study the Vietnam War, one needs to hear the whole war... not just the American Left's version.

I fought terrorism (24/7) for almost a year from the Vietnamese village level. I did not learn it from a far-left college professor from the safety of a classroom.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:28 PM

762 posts, read 933,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
Thanks!

In order to study the Vietnam War, one needs to hear the whole war... not just the American Left's version.

I fought terrorism (24/7) for almost a year from the Vietnamese village level. I did not learn it from a far-left college professor from the safety of a classroom.
There were lots of us in SE Asia/Vietnam who “did not learn […] from a far-left college professor from the safety of a classroom” the whys and wherefores of the conflict. My Dad was a “lifer” and was in WWII (Pacific campaign), Korea, and South Vietnam. For two years he shuttled back and forth from Saigon to Da Nang training military police for US and S. Vietnamese forces. For about two years I was in various non-geographically-well-defined “exotic” locales in SE Asia.

Yours are merely opinions and they differ greatly from ours. You do a disservice to all who read your posts regarding the conflict when you leave no doubt in your language and tenor that only your opinions are correct.

There is plenty to read outside of any classroom on the subject from some very different viewpoints.

By the way, thank you for your service.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyappy View Post
There were lots of us in SE Asia/Vietnam who “did not learn […] from a far-left college professor from the safety of a classroom” the whys and wherefores of the conflict. My Dad was a “lifer” and was in WWII (Pacific campaign), Korea, and South Vietnam. For two years he shuttled back and forth from Saigon to Da Nang training military police for US and S. Vietnamese forces. For about two years I was in various non-geographically-well-defined “exotic” locales in SE Asia.

Yours are merely opinions and they differ greatly from ours. You do a disservice to all who read your posts regarding the conflict when you leave no doubt in your language and tenor that only your opinions are correct.

There is plenty to read outside of any classroom on the subject from some very different viewpoints.

Mine are a little more than just opinions... sorry to disagree with you.

For thirty+ years, we heard the American Far-Left version of the Vietnam War. Now, we hear all sides.

------------

'Killing Fields' In Vietnam "Killing Fields" of Vietnam

A big puzzle-piece of the Vietnam War is largely unknown. It is the Massacre of the Duc Duc Refugee Village in the end of March 1971.
I served and lived (24/7) in the village, under the Marine Corps' Combined Action Program (CAP) and was on the last CAP Team in the village. We left in August 1970, about eight months before the communists burned the 2,000 home village to ashes. Having lived and served (24/7) in the village for five months, I personally feel that the Duc Duc Refugee Village was massacred, because the communists wanted to punish the peasants living there. The reason for this punishment was because for years, the peasants supported the Americans serving in the area. You can read some articles about the massacre at: TERRORISTS TURN 2,000 HOME VILLAGE INTO AN ASHTRAY

These are the two biggest news stories at the time of the Duc Duc Resettlement Village Massacre.

March 29 - William Calley is found guilty of 22 murders in My Lai massacre and sentenced to life in prison. He is later pardoned.

March 29 - A Los Angeles, California jury recommends the death penalty for Charles Manson and three female followers.

It was also the period, when John Kerry was appearing on television and radio news shows condemning American men and women, who were fighting for the freedom of the Vietnamese People. At the time, the American News Media was portraying America's military as village burners and much worse... (Under this cover, the village was massacred.)

The Massacre of the Duc Duc village was in the American evening news six (6) times. CBS, NBC and ABC each had it on twice. (It was never mentioned on evening news again.) In contrast, the My Lai massacre has been in the news hundreds of times over the years. (I have proof of this at: DUC DUC REFUGEE VILLAGE MASSACRE )

I'm hoping that the story of the Duc Duc Massacre gets picked up by today's American News Media. The massacre fits more today than any other day since the massacre...

I had many Vietnamese friends in the village. I want them remembered. And I want the Americans, who died trying to protect all Vietnamese, remembered.
Sincerely,
Jack Cunningham

---------------------

DUC DUC REFUGEE VILLAGE MASSACRE

Saigon announces North Vietnam attacked Duc Duc, South Vietnam, last Sunday; killed 200 civilians.

(Duc Duc, South Vietnam) Film shows destroyed village, civilians digging through rubble; 107 known dead, 135 evacuated for treatment; villagers feel South Vietnam didn't help enough to prevent North Vietnam attack.

[ Eyewritness to the attack: Major Franklin TRAPNELL - says heard news of Calley conviction at same time enemy killing civilians at Duc Duc; says this another My Lai perpetuated by enemy this time, with more killed for far less reason; hopes will have some impact on public.] US providing supplies to rebuild village.

'KILLING FIELDS'

Old 08-28-2007, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
Mine are a little more than just opinions... sorry to disagree with you.

For thirty+ years, we heard the American Far-Left version of the Vietnam War. Now, we hear all sides.

------------

'Killing Fields' In Vietnam "Killing Fields" of Vietnam

The Massacre of the Duc Duc village was in the American evening news six (6) times. CBS, NBC and ABC each had it on twice. (It was never mentioned on evening news again.) In contrast, the My Lai massacre has been in the news hundreds of times over the years. (I have proof of this at: DUC DUC REFUGEE VILLAGE MASSACRE )

Sincerely,
Jack Cunningham

---------------------

DUC DUC REFUGEE VILLAGE MASSACRE

'KILLING FIELDS'
----------------

SOME VIETNAM WAR ISSUES REVISITED by the National Congress of Vietnamese Americans NCVA - Some Vietnam War Issues Revisited: The Role Played by ARVN (http://www.ncvaonline.org/archive/analysis_VietnamRevisited_031806.shtml - broken link)

Old 05-20-2010, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,723 times
Default all need to know

if the truth be told some of us would be abel to deal a lot better--usmc chu lai 1965--1968

Old 05-20-2010, 04:21 PM

17,531 posts, read 6,754,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyappy View Post

Wow, you must have read a different post then I did. Which "opinions" have you so upset?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues