U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 07:34 AM

72 posts, read 199,596 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the information everyone! I left out the other FL bases, because at this point they are 100% or greater for his rank and career field. He is making a lot of phone calls and trying to put bases on our list that we think we may have a shot at.

We can't list any overseas bases until March, according to my husband. I am not sure how that works. I would LOVE to go overseas. But, he does not want to wait until March, fearing before then they might decide to send him to Korea for a year or whatever...

Curious about those bad things about Travis since that is my number one right now...

I am hearing good things about McChord.....but I actually was thinking Fairchild when I typed
McChord! Haha. Well....might have to consider McChord. Anyone have any thoughts on Fairchild??

My husband recently brought up Langley as well, so we will look into that.

We are going to this assignment not necessarily with the intent to retire there. If we like it, great.
There is a shortage of physical therapists everywhere, so I am not concerned about my job at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 07:36 AM

And, if going to Peterson means I will lose 15 pounds....that just moved up the list!!

Old 11-17-2011, 09:00 AM

358 posts, read 561,200 times
I try to keep a positive spin on everything, but I must say that of all my assignments, the area around Langley is the one that annoyed me a bit. It's not awful: plenty going on, maybe a decent job market, water is right there.

But...I have lived in Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, and Florida...and by comparison the area around Langley was super congested and people just seemed kind of tense and uncomfortable. I don't know...maybe others have had a better experience. Or maybe I'm just too 'southern'.

I enjoyed visiting DC, but it's a 3 hour drive. Norfolk is a fun and interesting town, but it's across the water and so may as well be in another state.

Just so I end positive: at Langley you are close to the Army rec post at Fort Story, which is fantastic (cheap hotel & cottages on a superb beach). And Colonial Williamsburg puts on the best Christmas event I've ever seen in early December.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:24 PM

2,633 posts, read 2,961,848 times
On Travis: From what I've heard from friends assigned there, inland California is very different from the coastal areas. There are some unsavory areas nearby. You may want to consider Vandenberg instead. Overall, California is ridiculously expensive; even with the fat BAH you'll still be out of pocket to live anywhere half-decent.

Fairchild: I'm sorry, but if you're trying to get away from Grand Forks or Minot to explore, I can't imagine a worst choice. Fairchild and GF practically twins, have nearly identical climates, terrain, and even missions. Both are located off US-2.

Langley is a good place; near the coast and a lot of historical sites to explore. It's main downside is its missions are slightly better than serving time at the Pentagon.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:43 PM

We got orders to LANGLEY today! I am looking forward to a new experience. Any positive info is appreciated on the area....nothing negative please. I can't take the stress!

Old 12-02-2011, 09:26 PM

2,633 posts, read 2,961,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieBlue View Post
We got orders to LANGLEY today! I am looking forward to a new experience. Any positive info is appreciated on the area....nothing negative please. I can't take the stress!
Congrats! I like the Seven Cities Area a lot. There's a lot of history there, the coast is great during the summertime, cost of living is reasonable. Be sure to get season passes to Colonial Williamsburg and Busch Gardens. If you feel like exploring, the Outer Banks, Richmond, and DC are within three hours.

Be sure to check out the Hampton Roads forum on C-D for more info on relocating there:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/hampton-roads-area/

Old 12-03-2011, 01:29 AM

432 posts, read 766,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieBlue View Post
Congrats!

Lived there 4 years as I stated earlier and loved it. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:17 PM

6,351 posts, read 18,878,100 times
Congrats, KatieBlue! I Loved Langley; hope you & yours do, too!

Old 12-05-2011, 05:04 PM

61 posts, read 79,831 times
i have spent 6 years in CLSS and traveled to a ton of bases. There are bases that have great scenery and populous , bases that just suck and bases on either side. What I have seen is most of the time it is what you make of it.. Travis for a maintainer is hell, but your hubby would be fine there.. Beale I have not been there but due to its downsizing a few brac's back its said to be a gem.. MChord is just awesome.... Tyndall Patric and Macdill.. yeah fat chance.. sorry but its the truth..
best way is to contact the Funtional, if your hubby is a MSGT he can call directly, if not then have his supervisor call.. the key is finding out both where you want to go... and where manning will support you best.. make a list of 10 bases and narrow them down by manning in your husbands DAFC.
Stay away from eglin and herbie, not that you could get in but do a little research on those two.. great places but the wages really suck really really suck as compared to the cost of living because of all the immigrant workers vs the party in the summer atmosphere . Most are from the eastern block and drugs are becoming prevalent also..

Hidden jewel, try for barnes or westover or even rhode island.. they have gaurd bases that are now begging to use the Total force and picking up active slots.. Im currently in Warner robins and moving to alaska..

Old 12-05-2011, 06:25 PM

23,000 posts, read 31,942,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right Side_TX View Post
Travis: Have not been, hear good and bad things about it.

Beale: Had family stationed there, they didn't care for it. But like Travis really cant help you with that one.

MacDill: Loved MacDill been a few times, great location right between Tampa and St Petersburg " You can see both downtowns from the base" Plenty of water all around, including a little beach on Base. The metro is one of the larger ones with an Air Force Base, so it fits that criteria of yours very well. Of All your choices, I think this one fits you best from the info given.

Charleston: Been stationed here the past 3 years. Plenty of water all around, a great historic downtown, warm weather, and plenty to do. But it's rather small " 500,000 in the metro" Closest decent size city is Charlotte which is about 200 miles away. Much like you I prefer being in a big city. While this is far from the worst base I've been, it's nowhere near the top.

Peterson: Have a sister stationed there, she really enjoys it. It's great if you like the outdoors. It's rather cold though, so doesn't fit your warm criteria. On the positive side you would be close to Denver .

Hill (not so sure about this one): Have not been, but hear many great things about it. Decent size city "Salt Lake City",and plenty of outdoor stuff to do. But like Peterson, a bit on the cold side a good portion of the year.

McChord: Yet another great choice, Once I went up there I was hooked. I've Been trying to get an assignment there ever since. You're in the greater Seattle Metro, so a good size population. Plenty to do indoors and out. Plenty of Rivers, Lake etc. One of the most scenic places I've been. A big factor is the weather though. You either love it or hate it.

Another Base not listed that I think fits your criteria very well would be Langley AFB. Was there for 4 years. Lots of History, pretty moderate climate, Great Beaches, and water everywhere. The Hampton Roads Metro is rather unique and a pretty good size. Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Hampton, Williamsburg are all unique and give you many options to choose from. You're also rather close to DC, Baltimore etc. "In my view" I view it as a bigger/better Charleston, with a better location.
If you have any In-depth questions about Charleston, Or Langley feel free to PM me. As Those are the two I can help you out with the best.

Good Luck!
Definitely the one I'd suggest. I lived in that area for 14 years. Also has very solid public school options just North of the base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues