U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2011, 01:52 PM

72 posts, read 199,692 times

Advertisements

Before everyone starts explaining how we are not likely to get our #1 and yada yada yada.....I get it. My husband has been in the Air Force 17 years.

Some background on us: although he has been in the Air Force 17 years we have only been at Grand Forks AFB, special duty in Minneapolis, special duty in Fargo, ND, and recruiting in Fargo, ND. I am from Fargo, which is why we stayed up here so long. Now, facing retirement soon we are ready to explore in our last assignment!

His career is Personel Management. I am a PT (not Air Force) but would be fine not working a couple of years

We have 2 kids ages 6 and 3. We love the water - lakes, ocean. Would love to go somewhere with lots do to do in terms of travel, things for the kids to see and do. We also prefer a warmer climate. But, anything is warmer than here! And I would like to have city (think Minneapolis or larger) within an hour.

Here is what we are thinking thus far:

Travis
Beale
MacDill
Charleston
Peterson
Hill (not so sure about this one)
McChord

Any thoughts on any of those bases or surrounding areas??
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 03:25 PM

24,133 posts, read 38,883,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieBlue View Post
I am a PT (not Air Force) but would be fine not working a couple of years
I have no clue what that is....

Quote:
Would love to go somewhere with lots do to do in terms of travel, things for the kids to see and do. We also prefer a warmer climate.
Surrounding area can be a be area...

Thoughts? Have you considered or been to Kirtland AFB in Albuquerque, NM area?

I have been to four on your list... We chose to come to and then retire in the Albuquerque area for a reason...

Rich

Old 11-15-2011, 06:24 PM

72 posts, read 199,692 times
PT = Physical Therapist

"Surrounding area can be a be area....." Say what?

I have not considered Kirtland. Possibly Luke....my parents have a house there and are there 5 months of the year.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:37 PM

24,133 posts, read 38,883,622 times
Quote:
PT = Physical Therapist

"Surrounding area can be a be area....." Say what?

I have not considered Kirtland. Possibly Luke....my parents have a house there and are there 5 months of the year.

Lost my train of thought:
Surrounding area can be a be almost any area.....

We have medical shortages here in Albuquerque, and a few newhospitals going up. So, they might need Physical Therapist's here. Just a thought.

Rich

Old 11-15-2011, 08:10 PM

9,371 posts, read 17,491,906 times
Having been in ND for so long, be careful what you ask for in terms of warmer climate. Places like Florida, South Carolina, and Arizona get brutally hot in summer to the point you'll be spending a lot of time indoors with the A/C cranked. That said, I think Patrick AFB is probably the most desirable location in Florida.

You have a six year old starting school, so be sure and research schools in the areas you are going to apply to in case you haven't considered.

Me personally I would look at Travis (equal distance to SF and Sacramento) and lot's of beatiful outdoor activities.

Vandenberg is another good one in California. Moderate climate, good schools on base, ocean, lakes, hiking trails, etc. You are 45 minutes from Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo and two hours north of Los Angeles. I spent close to 8 years there and loved it.

Peterson would be great, but not all that much warmer than ND.

I've always wanted an assignment to McChord, so I might be a bit biased when I say this would probably be a great assignment.

Hanscom AFB Massachusetts...20 minutes outside Boston, close to ocean, lakes, city, great schools, and four seasons.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:40 PM

2,633 posts, read 2,962,965 times
Quote:
Here is what we are thinking thus far:

Travis
Beale
MacDill
Charleston
Peterson
Hill (not so sure about this one)
McChord

Funny, that's close to my list too:
MacDill: I have family in the area so I'm biased. It's a warm climate, near the beach with a decent cost of living. It's also in a part of Florida that doesn't get hit with hurricanes. The bad economy really hit Florida hard, so you can now buy a really great home there.

McChord: This was my first assignment and I fell in love with the place. Coasts to the west, mountains to the east. You can explore both urban and rural spaces. Get up to Seattle and Vancouver BC, then visit Portland OR. Every weekend my wife and I would jump in our car and drive somewhere, we never ran out of things to do there. The coast is ruggedly beautiful. To the east of the Cascades you have deserts to explore, then the lakes in Idaho. It never gets too cold nor too hot. The only real downside is the rain may get some people down. You have to adapt and get out of the house.

Charleston: The one place I haven't been able to get assigned to. The place has a lot of history, the people are very friendly, and the place is relaxed. The Low Country food is also fabulous. Prone to hurricanes; but not bad as long as you don't live by the water.

Peterson: If you want to be near water, I wouldn't recommend it. However, it's still a great place to be assigned. This is mountain country with a ton of sunshine. One thing I noticed living there is the altitude boosts your metabolism; I lost 15 lbs without even trying (and put it back on as soon as I moved...)

Old 11-16-2011, 07:42 AM

432 posts, read 766,912 times
Travis: Have not been, hear good and bad things about it.

Beale: Had family stationed there, they didn't care for it. But like Travis really cant help you with that one.

MacDill: Loved MacDill been a few times, great location right between Tampa and St Petersburg " You can see both downtowns from the base" Plenty of water all around, including a little beach on Base. The metro is one of the larger ones with an Air Force Base, so it fits that criteria of yours very well. Of All your choices, I think this one fits you best from the info given.

Charleston: Been stationed here the past 3 years. Plenty of water all around, a great historic downtown, warm weather, and plenty to do. But it's rather small " 500,000 in the metro" Closest decent size city is Charlotte which is about 200 miles away. Much like you I prefer being in a big city. While this is far from the worst base I've been, it's nowhere near the top.

Peterson: Have a sister stationed there, she really enjoys it. It's great if you like the outdoors. It's rather cold though, so doesn't fit your warm criteria. On the positive side you would be close to Denver .

Hill (not so sure about this one): Have not been, but hear many great things about it. Decent size city "Salt Lake City",and plenty of outdoor stuff to do. But like Peterson, a bit on the cold side a good portion of the year.

McChord: Yet another great choice, Once I went up there I was hooked. I've Been trying to get an assignment there ever since. You're in the greater Seattle Metro, so a good size population. Plenty to do indoors and out. Plenty of Rivers, Lake etc. One of the most scenic places I've been. A big factor is the weather though. You either love it or hate it.

Another Base not listed that I think fits your criteria very well would be Langley AFB. Was there for 4 years. Lots of History, pretty moderate climate, Great Beaches, and water everywhere. The Hampton Roads Metro is rather unique and a pretty good size. Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Hampton, Williamsburg are all unique and give you many options to choose from. You're also rather close to DC, Baltimore etc. "In my view" I view it as a bigger/better Charleston, with a better location.

If you have any In-depth questions about Charleston, Or Langley feel free to PM me. As Those are the two I can help you out with the best.

Good Luck!

Old 11-16-2011, 08:09 AM

3,270 posts, read 4,779,018 times
Have you given thought about going to Europe for a few years?

Old 11-16-2011, 10:04 AM

166 posts, read 407,502 times
Have you considered Eglin, Tyndal or Patrick? Florida has no state income tax. The Cape is losing employees and houses are getting cheaper.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:15 PM

358 posts, read 561,573 times
Based on where you're coming from, I think McChord would be ideal. You can see in the other comments what a nice rep that area has. My wife is from there so I have visited. Quite nice.

I think anything Pac Northwest or Northern Cal would be a good move for you. At this point in your life I wonder if southwest, northeast, and south would be a little too much culture shock for you.

However I do agree about looking at Florida panhandle. A few large AF bases located there. It can be very southern/country, but there are plenty of pockets where a transplant can enjoy a nice warm sunny existence for a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues