U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 11:25 AM

4,730 posts, read 4,851,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post
........"My husband did recently receive a card for the new program ".....

As did I.

However, it has no photo on it.

All of the VA hospital cards have a picture.
You can request to not have a picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 11:33 AM

950 posts, read 671,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
All of the VA hospital cards have a picture.
You can request to not have a picture.
I have the ....Veterans Choice Card....in front of me right now.
It has my name and date of issuance.
Next to............Member ID ........is a blank space.

The VA card mailed to me has no photo on it.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:09 PM

24,162 posts, read 38,964,393 times
Veterans Health Identification Card has a photo: Veterans Health Identification Card - Health Benefits

Veterans Choice Card does not have a photo: What Is The Veterans Choice Card?

Old 04-10-2015, 12:11 PM

29,749 posts, read 47,557,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post
I have the ....Veterans Choice Card....in front of me right now.
It has my name and date of issuance.
Next to............Member ID ........is a blank space.

The VA card mailed to me has no photo on it.
I got one of those also.

After I retired and I got my disability rating from the VA, I got a letter from the VA directing me to go to a VA hospital for a medical appointment. I went there, driving past the Navy hospital where I was receiving medical treatment at the time.

The VA doctor said she wanted me to do a physical for them to establish a base-line for me. For that and three follow-up appointments I received bills for $12.50 for each VA medical appointment. Each time I told the VA doctor that my primary doctor was at the Navy hospital. Finally for the fourth follow-up I called the VA and canceled the appointment. I said I would get back to them about rescheduling, that is back in 2001.

I did not initiate the process. The VA never treated me for anything. Each time I was there, I told them that the Navy was treating me. The VA billed me $12.50 for each time I responded to them scheduling an appointment. So now when the VA sent me their card, I used it to start that evening's fire in our woodstove.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:14 PM

24,162 posts, read 38,964,393 times
What Is The Veterans Choice Card?
Quote:
What Is The Veterans Choice Card?

The Choice Card was distributed in late 2014 and early 2015

Old 04-10-2015, 12:23 PM

I wonder why my card has no ID number listed.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:24 PM

9,908 posts, read 5,792,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron1999 View Post
A co-worker, and I, are veterans of the U.S. Air Force. We were both honorably discharged. Neither of us are disabled, and we didn't retire from the service.

This past Veteran's Day we had a discussion concerning military ID cards for veteran's who are not disabled, or who did not retire. If ever asked for "proof", for whatever reason, we have always produced our DD214's.

Upon further research I found that their is currently a bill to create the U.S. Veteran's ID Card Act (H.R. 2985). If passed this bill will allow the Veteran's Administration to issue photo ID cards for all veterans who were honorably discharged. Currently the VA only issues ID cards for those who are disabled or have retired from the service.

I think this is a bill that is way overdue. So, please call the U.S. Representative, for your state, and ask them to support H.R. 2985.

Thanks for the info. I usually just defer to my spouse as he put in the # of years for retirement but he went on to other jobs after that. I had a military dependent's card (since expired) but just use it as a backup picture id. I never considered myself a veteran as I only served 6 years in the Navy, but it does count toward ones federal retirement. Didn't know that about the state license either. Will have to inquire about this.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:44 PM

9,908 posts, read 5,792,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Or you could simply enroll in the VA healthcare network. The photo ID is one of the first things you get after completing your basic eligibility paperwork.

I tried to enroll but they turned me down. Said I made above the income threshold. Funny since a neighbor (makes more and has never served in the military) was able to get in. Guess it helps if your spouse works as a nurse/doctor at the VA hospital.

The person who was trying to process my DD-214, application, etc., said that is a shame as they often see people with less than a year of military service get in. Said if my financial situation changes where I find myself on the lesser side, to try again. It's been several years, so now I really can't recall what the threshold amount was.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
I tried to enroll but they turned me down. Said I made above the income threshold. Funny since a neighbor (makes more and has never served in the military) was able to get in. Guess it helps if your spouse works as a nurse/doctor at the VA hospital.

The person who was trying to process my DD-214, application, etc., said that is a shame as they often see people with less than a year of military service get in. Said if my financial situation changes where I find myself on the lesser side, to try again. It's been several years, so now I really can't recall what the threshold amount was.

I did enroll and have used their services regularly including prescription drugs and a surgery ( hip replacement)

I was never issued a Veteran's ID with photo.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:49 PM

8,768 posts, read 10,390,569 times
There is no and will not be any "Veteran ID" card issued by the US Government.

In 2011 a proposal was made to create a "Veteran's" ID similar to a "Retired" military ID. However, upon research, Congress decided that the US Department of Veteran Affairs Veteran Health Insurance Card was sufficient. The VHIC is issued only to veterans, is available to all veterans, and is a federally issued identification card. As a result, they tabled any further discussion about "Veteran's" ID cards because it already exist.

This is the card and this is only the card the US government is issuing; accept it or reject it, but it's not going to change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues