U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 11:47 AM

8,768 posts, read 10,407,307 times

Advertisements

UPDATE: After reading cat1116 post, I did some checking on the issue of ineligible VA Healthcare veterans and the VHIC. It turns out the stituation is correct. There are a group of veterans who have no service connected disability or healthcare issues and make above the maximum income and have no other combat or other special status. As a result, these veterans are not eligible for the VHIC. The person who confirmed this did say that when Congress decide to use the VHIC as the default veteran ID, they did so with the understanding that the rules will change to authorize every veteran to get the card just without the "Healthcare Enrolled" notation. However, the fight over spending resulted in Congress refusing to fund the change. So, although the intent is that single card will act as a national veteran ID, the VA can't do anything until Congress makes the technical change in eligibility for those few excluded veterans and funds the increase program.

Sorry for any confusion over my original misstatement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 11:52 AM

25,237 posts, read 13,335,810 times
Good to hear, hope it passes. There are many stores that give a discount to Vets but there is no ID that proves it unless one carries their DD-214 around with them and I do not know many that go to that trouble.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:02 PM

5,190 posts, read 3,797,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Good to hear, hope it passes. There are many stores that give a discount to Vets but there is no ID that proves it unless one carries their DD-214 around with them and I do not know many that go to that trouble.

Not to mention the safety issues that can arise from that. In the wrong hands, that information can be used for identity theft.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:01 PM

8,768 posts, read 10,407,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
You are aware that the Dept of Veterans Affairs will provide a Statement of Military Service so you don't have to carry your DD-214 with you. It list your Branch, Dates of Service and Character of Service. It's on the VA's letterhead and signed by a Director. There is also a version available that includes disability rating for those who need that information. Heck, they even have the non photo Veteran ID Wallet Card with your name on it.

Besides the DD-214 or the VHIC, this is the most widely used alternative US Government issued documents for veterans. If you already have a DS login password or a CAC, you can print a copy anytime you need it right from eBenefits. If you don't have access, why NOT? I get the impression many veterans have not even taken the time to find out all the items available to them right now.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:10 PM

5,190 posts, read 3,797,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
You are aware that the Dept of Veterans Affairs will provide a Statement of Military Service so you don't have to carry your DD-214 with you. It list your Branch, Dates of Service and Character of Service. It's on the VA's letterhead and signed by a Director. There is also a version available that includes disability rating for those who need that information. Heck, they even have the non photo Veteran ID Wallet Card with your name on it.

Besides the DD-214 or the VHIC, this is the most widely used alternative US Government issued documents for veterans. If you already have a DS login password or a CAC, you can print a copy anytime you need it right from eBenefits. If you don't have access, why NOT? I get the impression many veterans have not even taken the time to find out all the items available to them right now.
I thought ebenifits were only for veterans who were for retired vets. I just registered. Thank you!

Old 05-25-2015, 11:38 PM

421 posts, read 204,187 times
I'm a retired Army Reservist (13 yrs. Active/13 yrs. Reserve) and to be honest, I don't see the need for a Veteran's I.D. Card issued by the DoD or the VA, unless the person qualifies for medical or other type of benefits, for somebody that doesn't have a current "military" status.

I think that if a veteran wants to prove that he/she served I the Armed Forces, there are several other ways to do this already... DD-214, VHIC, Vets of Foreign Wars and American Legion cards. BTW, if you're seeking a discount at McDonalds, their "Military Discount" requires you to show proof of being Active, Reserve or Retired. But, many will honor dependent I.D. cards... Sorry, I don't consider military dependents as being actual Soldiers, Sailors Airmen or Marines since they are not actual members of the Armed Forces of the United States... IMHO. I've met a few who thought that they were actual members of their husband's/wife's branch of service and also held their rank too.

Also, most veterans, not all, do not have a military obligation or subject to recall, by law, AFTER a period of 8 years of their actual enlistment date. Let's be honest. if you served 3 years in the U.S. military back in the 70s, or 6 years in the 80s or 12 years in the 90s, YOU are not going to be recall or ordered back to Active/Reserve duty... Ever... Unless you enlist/reenlist, which would self-correct the situation, since you will be issued a DoD, I.D. card at that point.

I strongly feel that its a very good ideal if each of the individual States would honor their veterans and their service by adding their former branch of service seal and a bold title of "VETERAN" under it on their State issued Drivers License/I.D. cards... Only if the veteran was honorably discharged from the Armed Forces. This would fit the need to prove an individual's status of a former military member and qualify for discounts offered by many businesses like Home Depot.

On a side note, I'm also a retired civilian law enforcement officer and was issued a "retired" I.D. card by my former agency, in order to carry a concealed firearm, as per current federal law. Several of our unarmed support staff members are now complaining that its not fair that they don't get the same type of I.D. card to "honor" their service as clerks and data processors when they retire too.

...The reason why I brought that up, is that "I.D." cards expressing an individual's real or perceived status are now becoming a sensitive topic... IMHO.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:37 AM

8,914 posts, read 4,854,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron1999 View Post
..........I think this is a bill that is way overdue. So, please call the U.S. Representative, for your state, and ask them to support H.R. 2985.
A thing or two or three.

First of all, since this thread started in 2011, did such a bill pass? If not, is there a current bill in the works?

Secondly, at the risk of sounding "What's in it for me?", what would a card grant a person such as me that properly submitting my 214, such as for land loans, does not? Why should a person such as me give "permission" for the gov't to set up another program that may be unnecessarily additional to the needs, that allows them to spend more money?

Old 05-26-2015, 06:08 AM

1,419 posts, read 2,158,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
I'm a retired Army Reservist (13 yrs. Active/13 yrs. Reserve) and to be honest, I don't see the need for a Veteran's I.D. Card issued by the DoD or the VA, unless the person qualifies for medical or other type of benefits, for somebody that doesn't have a current "military" status.

I think that if a veteran wants to prove that he/she served I the Armed Forces, there are several other ways to do this already... DD-214, VHIC, Vets of Foreign Wars and American Legion cards. BTW, if you're seeking a discount at McDonalds, their "Military Discount" requires you to show proof of being Active, Reserve or Retired. But, many will honor dependent I.D. cards... Sorry, I don't consider military dependents as being actual Soldiers, Sailors Airmen or Marines since they are not actual members of the Armed Forces of the United States... IMHO. I've met a few who thought that they were actual members of their husband's/wife's branch of service and also held their rank too.

Also, most veterans, not all, do not have a military obligation or subject to recall, by law, AFTER a period of 8 years of their actual enlistment date. Let's be honest. if you served 3 years in the U.S. military back in the 70s, or 6 years in the 80s or 12 years in the 90s, YOU are not going to be recall or ordered back to Active/Reserve duty... Ever... Unless you enlist/reenlist, which would self-correct the situation, since you will be issued a DoD, I.D. card at that point.

I strongly feel that its a very good ideal if each of the individual States would honor their veterans and their service by adding their former branch of service seal and a bold title of "VETERAN" under it on their State issued Drivers License/I.D. cards... Only if the veteran was honorably discharged from the Armed Forces. This would fit the need to prove an individual's status of a former military member and qualify for discounts offered by many businesses like Home Depot.

On a side note, I'm also a retired civilian law enforcement officer and was issued a "retired" I.D. card by my former agency, in order to carry a concealed firearm, as per current federal law. Several of our unarmed support staff members are now complaining that its not fair that they don't get the same type of I.D. card to "honor" their service as clerks and data processors when they retire too.

...The reason why I brought that up, is that "I.D." cards expressing an individual's real or perceived status are now becoming a sensitive topic... IMHO.
Well said.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:47 PM

4,407 posts, read 2,448,267 times
It is not logical to carry around a DD214 when an ID from the VA will fit in your wallet. It can be used for VA purposes like obtaining medications or treatment. Because I have no service connected problems I am at the bottom of the pecking order, but still have some eligibility. Some merchants, large and small do give veterans discounts. As one ages they are increasingly appreciated.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:31 PM

421 posts, read 204,187 times
Engineman, first, thank you for your service!!

I agree that carrying a copy of your DD-214 isn't practical, but both the VFW and AL cards would be honored by most businesses. Just a realist ideal that I'm throwing out there AND yes, I could be wrong.

I'm sure that we all know that the government is somewhat broke and spending is pretty much limited to "pet" projects (For right or wrong and a totally different topic.) or immediate safety/security need. With that said, I seriously do not think... IMHO, that Congress will issue and/or authorize the needed funds to the VA to issue a Veterans I.D. Card that does not service an immediate governmental purpose... Let's be very honest, Congress does not care about individuals ability to obtain a store discount... Nothing wrong with wishful thinking.

With that being said, the "modification" to a State issued Drivers License or I.D card is far more realist and has a far better chance of happening. Especially if the veteran pays a small fee for this service... Again, IMHO. The federal government isn't known for its speed and I don't see that changing anytime soon or the VA, out of the goodness of their hearts, deverting funds from healthcare.... Or their executive's bonuses to fund any type of I.D. card that, again, doesn't serve a governmental purpose.

Heck, Congress will not even fund the issuance of the "Cold War Victory" medal to veterans from that time period, so I just can't see them funding a veterans I.D. card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues