U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2012, 07:39 PM

2,159 posts, read 3,737,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Did the military take away your ID's when you were discharged? I still have mine.
I still have mine too, but it isn't valid past your ETS date

I had to convert my Ohio driver's license to Massachusetts two weeks ago. I wasn't pleased with 100$ charge, but did love that MA has the option for Veterans to have "VETERAN" status placed on their license after proof of service has been surrendered and validated
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 11:01 AM

8,163 posts, read 12,827,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
I still have mine too, but it isn't valid past your ETS date

I had to convert my Ohio driver's license to Massachusetts two weeks ago. I wasn't pleased with 100$ charge, but did love that MA has the option for Veterans to have "VETERAN" status placed on their license after proof of service has been surrendered and validated
As of now in NY we don't have it on our license. I just like that if anyone asks I can always show them the id. I realize that it can't be used for much more.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:15 PM

24,152 posts, read 38,939,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron1999 View Post
Upon further research I found that their is currently a bill to create the U.S. Veteran's ID Card Act (H.R. 2985). If passed this bill will allow the Veteran's Administration to issue photo ID cards for all veterans who were honorably discharged.
I think this is a bill that is way overdue. So, please call the U.S. Representative, for your state, and ask them to support H.R. 2985.
As of today:
H.R. 2985: Veteran’s I.D. Card Act
112th Congress, 2011–2012
To amend title 38, United States Code, to direct the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to issue, upon request, veteran identification cards to certain veterans.
Sponsor: Rep. Todd Akin [R-MO2]
Introduced Sep 21, 2011
Referred to Committee Sep 21, 2011
Reported by Committee (not yet occurred)

Check status of Bill: Veteran hr2985
Probably will not pass...

Rich

Old 06-11-2012, 05:57 PM

499 posts, read 1,806,876 times
I guess I'm a little baffled by this. I'm trying to figure out why we would issue ID cards to individuals just because they served. It seems as if it's a waste of money. What's the purpose of it? To make people feel better? I appreciate the service and I know that only around 20% who join the military serve until retirement but an ID card is not for show and tell. It's designed to serve a purpose. My ID card serves as my access to post, logs me on to my computer, serves as my insurance card, etc.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:04 PM

2,159 posts, read 3,737,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyGuy View Post
I guess I'm a little baffled by this. I'm trying to figure out why we would issue ID cards to individuals just because they served. It seems as if it's a waste of money. What's the purpose of it? To make people feel better? I appreciate the service and I know that only around 20% who join the military serve until retirement but an ID card is not for show and tell. It's designed to serve a purpose. My ID card serves as my access to post, logs me on to my computer, serves as my insurance card, etc.
Let's see- applying for jobs designated for Veteran's for starters using it for colleges to apply for veterans educational benefits. You will think differently when you are out and have to claim your Veteran's status more

Old 06-12-2012, 09:19 PM

24,152 posts, read 38,939,742 times
Quote:
Let's see- applying for jobs designated for Veteran's for starters using it for colleges to apply for veterans educational benefits. You will think differently when you are out and have to claim your Veteran's status more
That is what the DD214 is for and required for your examples, which everyone gets when they are discharged.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:00 AM

30,770 posts, read 17,004,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
That is what the DD214 is for and required for your examples, which everyone gets when they are discharged.
It's a lot easier to carry an ID card than a DD214.

ArtyGuy

We are talking about a basic card, not an actaul DA2. Just something that shows you were in the military.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:17 AM

833 posts, read 1,418,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post

ArtyGuy

We are talking about a basic card, not an actaul DA2. Just something that shows you were in the military.

Carry a VFW or American Legion card.

That's what I do !

Old 06-13-2012, 07:29 AM

930 posts, read 1,577,957 times
Quote:

ArtyGuy

I would think people who need to know (employers, etc) would put much more stock in a -214 than an ID card. The -214 is a legal document that shows everything, including character of service.

Which is the real reason "they" want to see it anyway.

There's no real point to this bill. Anyone who needs to verify their character of service produces a DD-214. Simple as that.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:10 AM

499 posts, read 1,806,876 times
Quote:
I'll always have an ID card because I'll retire from the Army (I'm eligible to reire now). Because of my length of service, I qualify for benefits that others don't. There's a reason those of who stay in the service for a very long time have benefits and entitlements that those who served 4 years(as an example). But based upon your example, I still don't see the practicality of issuing an ID card because you'd have to provide additional documentation proving your service and characterization if requesting veterans hiring. It's pretty simple to fake an ID but a little bit harder to fake a DD 214.

Quote:

ArtyGuy

You can wear a baseball hat, a t-shirt, get a veteran license plate, etc., showing you were in the service. Why do we need to fund an ID card? Other than having something for show and tell, what's its purpose?

I'm not trying to be flippant. I absolutely respect those who honorably served, regardless of their length of service. I just dont see what function a veteran ID card serves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues