U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 04:42 AM

2 posts, read 3,286 times

Advertisements

I forgot to add, When you apply for Social Security, upon retirement, Social Security will require a certified copy as wel, there are benefits that come with social security for military too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 11:00 AM

4,541 posts, read 3,174,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missesthebeaches View Post
has anyone ever tried to get a copy of their DD214 once they've lost it? It's a nightmare, at best.
Actually, the process to request your DD-214 is simple, fill out Form SF-180 and send it off. If they have your records, they will send them to you. It takes a month or two. In my case, all my records were destroyed in the July 12, 1973 fire at St Louis.

"Major portion of records of Army military personnel for the period 1912 through 1959 and records of Air Force personnel with surnames Hubbard thru Z for the period 1947-1963. Complete records cannot be reconstructed."

They did send me Form 13039, Certificate of Military Service, which verifies my military service and they said it can be used for any official purpose.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:36 AM

24,142 posts, read 38,919,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron1999 View Post
A co-worker, and I, are veterans of the U.S. Air Force. We were both honorably discharged. Neither of us are disabled, and we didn't retire from the service.

This past Veteran's Day we had a discussion concerning military ID cards for veteran's who are not disabled, or who did not retire. If ever asked for "proof", for whatever reason, we have always produced our DD214's.

Upon further research I found that their is currently a bill to create the U.S. Veteran's ID Card Act (H.R. 2985). If passed this bill will allow the Veteran's Administration to issue photo ID cards for all veterans who were honorably discharged. Currently the VA only issues ID cards for those who are disabled or have retired from the service.

I think this is a bill that is way overdue. So, please call the U.S. Representative, for your state, and ask them to support H.R. 2985.

The bill died. It did not pass. It was not voted on.

Rich

Quote:

H.R.2985 112th Congress (2011-2012)

There is one summary of the bill.

Shown Here:

Introduced in House (09/21/2011)

Veteran's I.D. Card Act - Directs the Secretary of Veterans Affairs (VA) to issue a veteran's identification card to any veteran who requests such card and is neither entitled to military retired pay nor enrolled in the VA system of patient enrollment. Requires such card, among other things, to: (1) display their name and photograph, and (2) serve as proof that the veteran honorably served in the Armed Forces and has a DD-214 form or other official document in their personnel file that describes their military service. Directs the Secretary to charge a card fee. States that such card shall not serve as proof of entitlement to any benefits.

Sponsor: Rep. Akin, W. Todd [R-MO-2] (Introduced 09/21/2011) Cosponsors:77Latest Action:06/20/2012 Subcommittee Hearings Held.Major Recorded Votes:There are no Roll Call votes for this bill

H.R.2985 - 112th Congress (2011-2012) - To amend title 38, United States Code, to direct the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to issue, upon request, veteran identification cards to certain veterans. - Summary | Congress.gov | Library of Congress

Old 01-13-2014, 04:45 PM

90 posts, read 166,600 times
deleted post put in better thread title.

Can a Vet visit a military base?

Last edited by Lucky_Town; 01-13-2014 at 04:59 PM..

Old 01-18-2014, 03:08 AM

28 posts, read 27,505 times
This is a terrible idea, it downplays the importance of those who are still active/reserve, or who were in for the long haul until retirement. What do you need a military id for, you cant get on base without a sponsor anyway. A lot of states are now offering a veteran drivers license, you just have to show proof of a honorable discharge. Thanks for your service, but seems redundant.

Active duty Air Force

Old 01-18-2014, 04:48 PM

11 posts, read 21,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
What did you do with your ID when you left the military? They never took mine away and obviously I wasn't going to throw it out.
I don't know when you were in but when I was in if you joined you did 4 years active and 2 inactive reserve. When you were discharged you were required to return your ID. Active cards were green which you turned in on your release from active duty to red/pink for your inactive reserve.

I didn't turn mine in but received several letters that threatened me that it was a crime to keep it, the last letter I got said that the Navy owed me $12 and that as soon as they got my ID then they would pay me. I still didn't send it back.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:59 PM

28 posts, read 27,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonOldtimer View Post
I don't know when you were in but when I was in if you joined you did 4 years active and 2 inactive reserve. When you were discharged you were required to return your ID. Active cards were green which you turned in on your release from active duty to red/pink for your inactive reserve.

I didn't turn mine in but received several letters that threatened me that it was a crime to keep it, the last letter I got said that the Navy owed me $12 and that as soon as they got my ID then they would pay me. I still didn't send it back.
Lol, I would have kept it too.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:14 AM

5,829 posts, read 3,773,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDODSON View Post
Lol, I would have kept it too.
And then you follow up with this. Why would you keep it?

Old 01-23-2014, 12:04 AM

3,297 posts, read 4,786,137 times
What should happen is for them to extend base, commissary, and MWR benefits for Veterans. Add a perk in there for us. This is done in a lot of foreign countries btw...

Old 01-23-2014, 05:11 AM

1,406 posts, read 2,152,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
What should happen is for them to extend base, commissary, and MWR benefits for Veterans. Add a perk in there for us. This is done in a lot of foreign countries btw...
Disagree. That should stay a perk for those that are serving or retired.

I don't get to use a companies facilities if I no longer work for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues