Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 04:29 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,787,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron1999 View Post
I can see your point.

My state currently does not have an endorsement on the driver's license for vets. I have contacted my state Rep to inquire about this.

There's no guarantee that this H.R. bill will even pass. But, I do support it and I hope it does pass.
Another Idea would be- allow members to maintain their current ID upon discharge and superimpose VET or something to that nature on the ID (maybe place start-to-end year of members service i.e. Sep2003-Sep2007).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 05:24 PM

11 posts, read 24,150 times
Quote:
A co-worker, and I, are veterans of the U.S. Air Force. We were both honorably discharged. Neither of us are disabled, and we didn't retire from the service.

This past Veteran's Day we had a discussion concerning military ID cards for veteran's who are not disabled, or who did not retire. If ever asked for "proof", for whatever reason, we have always produced our DD214's.

Upon further research I found that their is currently a bill to create the U.S. Veteran's ID Card Act (H.R. 2985). If passed this bill will allow the Veteran's Administration to issue photo ID cards for all veterans who were honorably discharged. Currently the VA only issues ID cards for those who are disabled or have retired from the service.

I think this is a bill that is way overdue. So, please call the U.S. Representative, for your state, and ask them to support H.R. 2985.
I haven't read all the responses here but the VA will issue a card to all vets. Just go down to your local clinic, hospital, or regional office and fill out the paperwork, provide your DD214 and you when approved you will get your id.

All vets can use the VA medical system, not just the disabled or retired. They will take your insurance to pay for service and it is less expensive than civilian hospitals or clinics.

Now all VA clinics and hospitals are not the same so best bet to do some checking before changing to the VA for health care.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:13 PM

9,511 posts, read 16,448,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonOldtimer View Post
I haven't read all the responses here but the VA will issue a card to all vets. Just go down to your local clinic, hospital, or regional office and fill out the paperwork, provide your DD214 and you when approved you will get your id.

All vets can use the VA medical system, not just the disabled or retired. They will take your insurance to pay for service and it is less expensive than civilian hospitals or clinics.

Now all VA clinics and hospitals are not the same so best bet to do some checking before changing to the VA for health care.

This is true not all VA clinics and hospitals are going to be the same. There are VA's where one can wait a month or two for a Primary Care Appt. There are others where the wait times are not as long. Some regions/VA's in this country are just plain overwhelmed with patients. The long wait for Medical appt's or when a trip to the ER comes up, makes these long waits not practical for people. Again it can vary from VA to VA, depending on the Veterans population in the region. So most definitely really do some checking at the respective VA, before changing to the VA Healthcare System.

As far as the ID's. As long as you register at the VA for healthcare you will get the ID card with your picture on it. Some people register get the card and end up never going to the VA for healthcare. They sort of use the VA as a backup system to their own Health Insurance.

Last edited by Jimrob1; 11-18-2011 at 08:22 PM..

Old 11-20-2011, 08:45 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,988,147 times
Oregon already offers Veterans designations on DL's and ID cards.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:14 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,883,690 times
After my Army service in Korea (National Guard) in 1952 did receive a ID card from the "Army of the United States" showing my name, rank, service number and on the back side the service dates...(sans a photo as I was better looking then compared to today).

I then encased the card in plastic to preserve it which I still have today in a shadow box with my ribbons etc.

My next door neighbor (retired Airforce 29yrs) also has a different type of card but still a card to show his service and eligibility.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:07 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,109,099 times
Quote:
A co-worker, and I, are veterans of the U.S. Air Force. We were both honorably discharged. Neither of us are disabled, and we didn't retire from the service.

This past Veteran's Day we had a discussion concerning military ID cards for veteran's who are not disabled, or who did not retire. If ever asked for "proof", for whatever reason, we have always produced our DD214's.

Upon further research I found that their is currently a bill to create the U.S. Veteran's ID Card Act (H.R. 2985). If passed this bill will allow the Veteran's Administration to issue photo ID cards for all veterans who were honorably discharged. Currently the VA only issues ID cards for those who are disabled or have retired from the service.

I think this is a bill that is way overdue. So, please call the U.S. Representative, for your state, and ask them to support H.R. 2985.
What did you do with your ID when you left the military? They never took mine away and obviously I wasn't going to throw it out.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:18 PM

4 posts, read 6,718 times
"the VA will issue a card to all vets. Just go down to your local clinic, hospital, or regional office and fill out the paperwork, provide your DD214 and you when approved you will get your id. "

Or...you could get a simple id for a few bucks and not have to deal with all the paperwork and crap that the government imposes.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:48 PM

1,609 posts, read 4,678,233 times
Quote:

Any veteran with an honorable discharge can avail to the VA and get an ID card and medical care if desired regardless of time served.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:12 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,109,099 times
Did the military take away your ID's when you were discharged? I still have mine.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:37 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,648,910 times
Quote:
Getting a free meal is the last thing on my mind. I have never asked for a freel meal from anyplace. Not even on Veteran's Day. So, your accusation is out of line.

It's your right not to support the bill.

But, it's also my right to support it. Which I will do.
I hope you don't tell people you believe in small government
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues