Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 03:31 PM

45 posts, read 82,444 times

Advertisements

Ok so im going into basic training for the navy soon and im very scared..So what were your exprerences in basic training .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 03:47 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Don't worry. They won't kill you.

You can handle it, just like the millions before you did.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:57 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ees21 View Post
Ok so im going into basic training for the navy soon and im very scared..So what were your exprerences in basic training .....
I learned to shut up, do what I was told and help my buddies....

Just hang in there.

And good luck to you...

U.S. Army Basic Training, 1968.

Rich

Old 11-08-2011, 05:41 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,608,363 times
Enjoy folding your clothes!!!!

Old 11-08-2011, 05:51 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
It was like a summer camp.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:05 AM

289 posts, read 289,784 times
I started and ended my career with basic training. I took Army basic training in 1964 and it wasn't all that bad. What I remember most is that we did a lot of running. Then 21 years later I was assigned as a training NCO in basic training and spent the last 5 years of my career in basic training. I don't regret a bit of it. It was a great life.

I'm sure you'll adjust quickly to life in basic training.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:02 AM

581 posts, read 1,187,874 times
My father was a USMC DI for a few years and as a kid, I remember hearing him talk about this. Plus when I went to Army BCT, helped me realize this as well. It's simple:

-First off, you're not the first nor the last to go through Boot Camp. Many others have done it and there are thousands of others waiting in line. Either do you're part or move along.
-They won't kill you (although it might feel like they might)
-Keep your mouth shut (unless someone is dying, there isn't really anything you need to tell your buddies that can't wait 13 weeks)
-Do as you're told (Don't think, just do. In boot camp, they don't pay you to think yet)
-Help each other (that's the only way to get through it. You can only help yourself if you help your buddy first. Teamwork is paramount.)
-Lastly, remember WHY you joined and don't be jaded about it. Whether for love of God, country, family. Whether for the benefits, travel, or perks. Or whether it was you're only way out, don't forget it.

It's the easiest, "hard" thing you'll do. Just show up everywhere on time, in the proper uniform, ready to go. Everything is told to you. Where to be, at what time, with what, and so on. Don't debate it, just do it. Makes life a little easier. Good luck and enjoy it! Some of my best buddies I still have from BCT.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:14 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,001,071 times
Like all the other have posted, Just do what your told and don't complain, don't whine and most of all remember your part of a team, no back biting.

I took my basic at Ft. Lewis, WA in Nov of 67, it was wet and cold and miserable, but I live through it.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:01 AM

400 posts, read 294,053 times
Pay attention
Don't speak except when necessary
Pay attention
Just accept that life is not going to be fun, except for brief moments here and there, for a few weeks
Pay attention
Accept that it will be unfair at times, and that this is by design
Pay attention

I found it profoundly boring. In First Aid class, the fourth time being told not to apply a tourniquet for a head wound made me want to bang my own head against the wall. No, I understand, this was necessary. I'm just saying the level of training is so rudimentary that if you crave intellectual stimulation you may well be frustrated. At least, I was in 1988, Fort Jackson, summer.

But again, it's just a few weeks.

Did I mention to pay attention?

PS - Pay attention

Old 11-08-2011, 09:06 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,083,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ees21 View Post
I didn't drink enough water because I was afraid I'd have to go pee and not be able to. That was a mistake. I started getting headaches towards the end, but it wasn't a big deal. Drink lots of water and run to the "head" every opportunity you get - like on a road trip, try to go to the bathroom regardless of whether you think you need to or not.

Basic training is easy if you follow these 3 simple rules:
1) be where you're supposed to be when you're supposed to be there.
2) don't stand out - the most successful recruit is the one whose name the drill instructor doesn't know. Or as my grandpa advised when I shipped out: "don't volunteer for $hit".
3) this is the one people struggle with: shut up. Don't talk. Don't chit chat with the guy next to you because you're bored standing there. You don't need to share every mundane thought that enters your shaved little head. Just stand there, wait for the next instructions, and shut up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues