U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2011, 08:52 PM

2 posts, read 13,986 times

Advertisements

I came across my fathers discharge from the airforce in 1961 and I was wondering if anyone could help me. On line 11c under transfer or discharge data it says: SDN 227 Dependency - Hardship AFR 39-13. He had an honorable discharge. There are a few thing I don't understand, he had enlisted for 4 years and was given the discharge after 2 years 11 months and 9 days, but the biggest thing is it lists his marital status as married, but my parents were not married until 1971. Is there a chance this is a mistake or could he have been married before and kept it a total secret? I googled the discharge code, marrige records, and his name and have came up with nothing. any help would be great. Thanks in advance ,dtraum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 09:16 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,637,571 times
What's in block 26?

I doubt it was a mistake. Maybe he was probably married at least once before your mom.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:23 PM

2 posts, read 13,986 times
Block 26 says none, this is the form dd 214 if that means anything

Old 11-29-2011, 09:31 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,637,571 times
Weird Box 26 should be the separation code. Maybe the form is different due to it's age.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:36 PM

24,130 posts, read 38,871,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datraum View Post
I came across my fathers discharge from the airforce in 1961 and I was wondering if anyone could help me. On line 11c under transfer or discharge data it says: SDN 227 Dependency - Hardship AFR 39-13. He had an honorable discharge. There are a few thing I don't understand, he had enlisted for 4 years and was given the discharge after 2 years 11 months and 9 days, but the biggest thing is it lists his marital status as married, but my parents were not married until 1971. Is there a chance this is a mistake or could he have been married before and kept it a total secret? I googled the discharge code, marrige records, and his name and have came up with nothing. any help would be great. Thanks in advance ,dtraum
I think "SDN 227" is actually SPN 227 which were separation codes.

Read the instruction sheet on this PDF document, it may help: http://www.dd214.us/reference/SPN_Codes.pdf

Or here: http://usmilitary.about.com/od/theor.../l/blcode1.htm

Dependency or Hardship could be a variety of things. His parents my have become ill and he had to take care of them, etc...

You could get a lot of guessing. The SPN codes were dropped, no longer used after a certain date.

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 11-30-2011 at 07:10 AM..

Old 11-30-2011, 07:09 AM

16,116 posts, read 20,148,778 times
Dependency could also mean he had a parent who was dependent on him

Old 02-11-2017, 07:46 PM

3 posts, read 2,618 times
I joined the usaf in January 1961, I was discharged under AFR 39/16 under honorable conditions on May 29/1962.
I believe I was given a discharge under the wrong regulation. I was married and had one child, I was under a great amount of stress at the time. My wife and my son were starving as I was only 17 years of age and an air man 3rd class, I was nor getting very much money, and my wifes allowance was not enough to pay rent, food, bills ect. I was assigned to the motor pool at Biggs AFB El paso texas. I went and had a talk with my commanding officer about my problem. The men I served with were great, as they pooled together and bought my wife and baby food and baby things that was needed. There effort was heart warming, but was just short lived and did little to fix my stress in trying to take care of my family and service my county.
on May16 1962 I went and asked for help at the dispensary because I was a nervous wreck from the stress I
was having at home with my wife who was threating to leave me because the Air Force and I could not take care of her and the baby. I was so stress out, nervous, afraid I could not eat was loosing weight from going
hungry I went asking for help, but all I got was some nerve pills which did not help. On may 16/1962 at the age of 18 I tried to kill my self by gas from kitchen stove. I was admitted to to end my suffering. My wife did leave me and I was told by the chaplin that he was recommending a discharge so I could go take care of my family. I was sent to see a Lt. Albert White chief retention officer who told me he could get me an honorable discharge under AFR 39/16. I thought that he was giving me an extreme hardship discharge. I only found out what AFR 39/16 was long after I had left the service when I went to buy a house on my GI bill.
I was under the impression for years that I was discharged because of family hardship. In the long run it did not save my family as by that time my wife had decided that we were just two young to take care of each other, so she went to live with her mother and I returned to my folks, we latter were divorced in 1964.
When I was growing up my greatest desire was to join the UNITED STATES AIR FORCE , but lost that dream trying to save a doomed marriage. I tried to rejoin the Air Force after my divorce but I was told by the recruiter that I could not do so because of by discharge under the AFR 39/16 honorable discharge.
I am now 73 years old and would like to get my discharge updated to a hardship as it should have been in the beginning and not unsuitability as I was well suited for the service.

Old 02-11-2017, 08:41 PM

5,861 posts, read 3,144,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radams1943 View Post
I joined the usaf in January 1961, I was discharged under AFR 39/16 under honorable conditions on May 29/1962.
I believe I was given a discharge under the wrong regulation. I was married and had one child, I was under a great amount of stress at the time. My wife and my son were starving as I was only 17 years of age and an air man 3rd class, I was nor getting very much money, and my wifes allowance was not enough to pay rent, food, bills ect. I was assigned to the motor pool at Biggs AFB El paso texas. I went and had a talk with my commanding officer about my problem. The men I served with were great, as they pooled together and bought my wife and baby food and baby things that was needed. There effort was heart warming, but was just short lived and did little to fix my stress in trying to take care of my family and service my county.
on May16 1962 I went and asked for help at the dispensary because I was a nervous wreck from the stress I
was having at home with my wife who was threating to leave me because the Air Force and I could not take care of her and the baby. I was so stress out, nervous, afraid I could not eat was loosing weight from going
hungry I went asking for help, but all I got was some nerve pills which did not help. On may 16/1962 at the age of 18 I tried to kill my self by gas from kitchen stove. I was admitted to to end my suffering. My wife did leave me and I was told by the chaplin that he was recommending a discharge so I could go take care of my family. I was sent to see a Lt. Albert White chief retention officer who told me he could get me an honorable discharge under AFR 39/16. I thought that he was giving me an extreme hardship discharge. I only found out what AFR 39/16 was long after I had left the service when I went to buy a house on my GI bill.
I was under the impression for years that I was discharged because of family hardship. In the long run it did not save my family as by that time my wife had decided that we were just two young to take care of each other, so she went to live with her mother and I returned to my folks, we latter were divorced in 1964.
When I was growing up my greatest desire was to join the UNITED STATES AIR FORCE , but lost that dream trying to save a doomed marriage. I tried to rejoin the Air Force after my divorce but I was told by the recruiter that I could not do so because of by discharge under the AFR 39/16 honorable discharge.
I am now 73 years old and would like to get my discharge updated to a hardship as it should have been in the beginning and not unsuitability as I was well suited for the service.

You were probably on track for a hardship discharge, but when you tried to commit suicide, that made you unsuitable for military service. There is a board that former service members can appeal their discharge to, but rarely do they grant the relief requested. You can certainly make your request, but I don't believe it will be granted. The board will hear your side of the story, but they will also consider the cold, hard facts that were considered in 1962, assuming they survived the 1973 fire.

Old 02-11-2017, 08:54 PM

8,768 posts, read 10,335,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radams1943 View Post
At this stage of the game, the odds are 99.999% that you will not get the Discharge Type or RE Code changed. You stood the greatest chance when you attempted to rejoin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues