U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-30-2011, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Matthews, NC
14,693 posts, read 22,460,513 times
Reputation: 14289

Advertisements

War drawdowns wreak havoc on Guard soldiers' lives - Yahoo! News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-01-2011, 06:06 PM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
3,302 posts, read 3,754,492 times
Reputation: 2524
Are they really complaining or simply reporting the situation of the guard Soldiers? I do not see it as complaining.

Do not take me wrong, I am not a fan of the media but I do think it is a necessary evil that I also think many new people do twist things in the news to make more money or follow an agenda. Take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2011, 08:54 PM
 
Location: Richmond, VA
2,633 posts, read 4,391,959 times
Reputation: 4213
"Demetries Luckett left his job in Michigan, turned in his cable box, sent his daughter to live with her mother, and headed for Camp Shelby in Mississippi.As a 1st lieutenant in Michigan's National Guard, he was being deployed to Afghanistan.
But just a month after he arrived for training, the Army decided Uncle Sam didn't need him after all.
Now Luckett's unemployed"

He left his job. If he had told his employer he was deploying, he'd still have it or have the makings of a fine court case. This is Reserves 101.

I'm sympathetic to his being unemployed now, but he's lying in a bed of his own making and the article is spinning it in a certain direction that isn't really accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2011, 11:02 PM
 
Location: Indy
664 posts, read 2,572,471 times
Reputation: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
"Demetries Luckett left his job in Michigan, turned in his cable box, sent his daughter to live with her mother, and headed for Camp Shelby in Mississippi.As a 1st lieutenant in Michigan's National Guard, he was being deployed to Afghanistan.
But just a month after he arrived for training, the Army decided Uncle Sam didn't need him after all.
Now Luckett's unemployed"

He left his job. If he had told his employer he was deploying, he'd still have it or have the makings of a fine court case. This is Reserves 101.

I'm sympathetic to his being unemployed now, but he's lying in a bed of his own making and the article is spinning it in a certain direction that isn't really accurate.
Exactly. Due to the laws in place, you have to be stupid to out right quit a job due to a deployment. I do however understand the feelings of the college students as I had found myself in a similar situation. However, I simply got a job (low paying) until the new semester began.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2011, 09:51 AM
 
3,071 posts, read 7,566,856 times
Reputation: 2057
Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act

elaws - USERRA Advisor (http://www.dol.gov/elaws/userra.htm - broken link)

If he did the proper steps (written notice and the like) he should be covered. There are lawyers that specialize in USERRA. Now if if he just wlaked in one day and said "********* GUYS!! I"M OUT!!", that's a whole other story.

There are guys I've enlisted inthe reserves that took the proper steps and their job was waiting when they came back from their traing months later. I've even had guys go AD that gave their employers letters so even if they only do one enlistment they can come back to their job. USERRA caps at 5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2011, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Matthews, NC
14,693 posts, read 22,460,513 times
Reputation: 14289
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
Are they really complaining or simply reporting the situation of the guard Soldiers? I do not see it as complaining.

Do not take me wrong, I am not a fan of the media but I do think it is a necessary evil that I also think many new people do twist things in the news to make more money or follow an agenda. Take care.
Maybe my sensor is a little sensitive but I perceived it as complaining by the media. Main reason being is that I didn't see anywhere in the article that pointed out that people don't HAVE to quit their job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2011, 11:25 AM
 
Location: Texas
14,078 posts, read 17,027,829 times
Reputation: 7701
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Maybe my sensor is a little sensitive but I perceived it as complaining by the media. Main reason being is that I didn't see anywhere in the article that pointed out that people don't HAVE to quit their job.
Instead of assuming a spin, consider that the reporter who wrote that story probably simply doesn't know the mechanics of a deployment. Most people don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2011, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Matthews, NC
14,693 posts, read 22,460,513 times
Reputation: 14289
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Instead of assuming a spin, consider that the reporter who wrote that story probably simply doesn't know the mechanics of a deployment. Most people don't.
If he or she is going to write an article about it, they should learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2011, 12:59 PM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
3,302 posts, read 3,754,492 times
Reputation: 2524
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Instead of assuming a spin, consider that the reporter who wrote that story probably simply doesn't know the mechanics of a deployment. Most people don't.
You may have a point there because I served in the Army for 32 years and just retired last year. You are right that many, probably most do not. Take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2011, 01:03 PM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
3,302 posts, read 3,754,492 times
Reputation: 2524
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
If he or she is going to write an article about it, they should learn.
Being an Army Veteran I read the article and the writer cover the situation just right. To me the focus of the point is Soldiers coming back from the front lines sooner than expected and find themselves without jobs. What is wrong with that? He did not have to know about certain laws and programs that help Soldiers to integrate back once they are back. It is up to the readers to realize the situation and bring awareness of a situation. It is now up to us to react, find out, etc. Take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top