U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 12:12 AM

5,564 posts, read 7,668,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
Different states play by different rules. That's where the hassle factor comes in to play.

My car was in Texas for 6 years before retiring from the AF and never had to take it back to CA for anything, and didn't have to get a safety inspection. Maybe CA doesn't care if you're not on their roads.

That's what I find odd about Texas - they separate registration and inspection and you can get one without the other (but have to keep them current every year).
Virginia is the same way. My plates are up in March but my inspection is due in June.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 12:17 AM

889 posts, read 1,467,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Virginia is the same way. My plates are up in March but my inspection is due in June.
I'm from a state where both are due at the same time and there's one sticker. It prevents potentially unsafe cars from being on the road. Theoretically anyway.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:19 AM

24,179 posts, read 39,019,630 times
Quote:
He will still have to have a current safety inspection. I had my truck registered in TX, but I found the hard way I still had to have a valid inspection. I had to either get VA plates or drive back to TX for an inspection.
Quote:
Vehicles registered in Virginia must be inspected once a year at an official inspection station. If your vehicle is lawfully registered in another state, you are not subject to Virginia inspection laws. Langley AFB does not require you to get a Virginia inspection. However, you do remain subject to your home state’s inspection laws, if any.
Reference: http://www.jble.af.mil/shared/media/...101004-053.pdf

Rich

Old 12-14-2011, 12:24 AM

5,564 posts, read 7,668,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
And TX required the inspection therefore it was required. It had been expired for several months. We lived off base at the time this happened. I had just had a baby, and my husband was deployed to Iraq. So yes I took myself to the DMV with a 1 week old baby to get new tags. I then went and got an inspection.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
And Texas says: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/misc/faq/outstate.htm

Quote:
My Texas inspection sticker is/or is about to expire. What can I do?

If the state does not have an inspection program, BUT performs inspections as part of the annual registration renewal process, then you should contact the local DMV to see what action you should take. In many cases, you may be considered legal to drive if you have a valid Texas registration tag. However, in other states, they may require that you take their version of an inspection in order to be legal. In any case, contact the local DMV to see which route to take. Be sure to inform the DMV that you have a valid Texas registration tag and that Texas does not require that you have a current Texas inspection certificate unless you are driving within the Texas state limits. At this time they should exempt your vehicle from inspection, instruct you to take their inspection, or allow you to drive with a Texas registration tag.
Anyway, the point is state laws vary. And to the OP, I'd just figure out what costs less. I found keeping my car registered in CA was a little less expensive when I factored in not having to get the safety inspection (lights work!) and transfer fees required for TX and smog tests for CA.

Of course, now I don't have a choice.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:35 AM

Quote:
And TX required the inspection therefore it was required. It had been expired for several months. We lived off base at the time this happened. I had just had a baby, and my husband was deployed to Iraq. So yes I took myself to the DMV with a 1 week old baby to get new tags. I then went and got an inspection.
And here's part of the sacrifice the family has to deal with that some people on the "outside" don't think about.

It's also "rest of the story" regarding your situation.

You were in a tough spot and did what you had to do to resolve the issue as quickly and painlessly as you could.

Hope everything is turning/turned out ok.....

Old 01-18-2015, 12:24 AM

2 posts, read 2,469 times
So i have a question for all of you since i am in a slightly similar situation yet not....

I am planning on buying a car this coming weekend. I am an active service marine for the next 3 years and i will be stationed on camp pendleton as of wednesday.

My dream car is within my price range and it is an 86 camaro. It is completely custom and there is absolutely no chance of it passing emissions testing. I am from washington state and i have heard i can have it registered there when i buy it. Where i come from we do not have any form of emissions testing.

SO my questions are:

1. If i purchase the vehicle and register it at my home address am i exempt from CA emissions testing?

2. secondly for my base tags do they do emissions testing and if so am i exempt because of the previous answer if its a yes?

Old 01-18-2015, 04:49 PM

968 posts, read 1,018,027 times
Quote:
He will still have to have a current safety inspection. I had my truck registered in TX, but I found the hard way I still had to have a valid inspection. I had to either get VA plates or drive back to TX for an inspection.
CA doesn't do regular safety inspections. You just run the risk of being pulled over if you have a defect.

Old 01-18-2015, 04:54 PM

968 posts, read 1,018,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvtnobody View Post

1. If i purchase the vehicle and register it at my home address am i exempt from CA emissions testing?

2. secondly for my base tags do they do emissions testing and if so am i exempt because of the previous answer if its a yes?
If the vehicle is registered in Washington, you don't have to worry about getting CA Smog testing, which is required of vehicles registered in CA.

Military bases don't do smog testing. If your car is registered and you have insurance, you're good to go.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,469 times
that is awesome i really hope that will work, if i do run into trouble and the base does ask for a smog test i have another question.

as of this year it is 30 years old and would qualify for collectors plates, i dont plan on driving it other than the weekends a little here and there since i am within walking distance of work.

are cars with collectors plates exempt from emissions testing in CA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues