U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 12:53 PM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_double_d View Post
Yes, I mean the rumors right now are saying that they could be doing this as far as cutting back by not allowing re-enlistments and such but who knows what will really happen as they are just rumors for now. Anything could change particularly depending on who we wind up electing (or re-electing depending how this turns out) next. Like some others have said, there are actually a lot of high tech jobs in the Army as there is almost every job to be found there. It all depends on what you're looking for in the service. You're more likely to get a guaranteed job in your contract with the Army and again as others said, chances to re-class if need be though again that could always change depending on how the draw-down may come about.

Another thing to consider is whether or not we end up going to a majority "peace-time Army". I say majority just because even in so-called peace-time, the Army will always be sending people to other countries to help out and not all of them safe places. In any case, as far as this being a good time to join, I guess it depends both on what happens in the next few years with our war-time deployments as well as what exactly you're looking to get out of it. This may not apply to you since you're looking more on the "high tech" job side but I've seen guys interested in combat arms looking at it from both sides. Some are fine with moving more towards a peace-time Army for various reasons from having deployed more than once and looking forward to more time at home all the way to those who join more to say they're a part of the infantry but don't actually want to have to deploy and potentially fight so they're happy to stay in garrison instead. Others are not looking as forward to peace-time Army because as much as they likely enjoy being home with their families and friends, they dislike the idea of doing a lot of combat arms training but never really getting to use it in a deployment. Those guys in infantry and similar end up doing a lot of boring and seemingly pointless details when not deployed and training doesn't stop but sometimes can feel more frustrating if you know you're not training to use it in any upcoming deployment. So again it depends on whether or not Afghanistan really does dwindle down and we don't jump into any more conflicts as well as what exactly you're hoping to get out of deployment.
Nobody has a good crystal ball.

I look around, we guess and we take our chances.

Anyone of us could break our back next week and find ourselves in a wheelchair.

I went into the highest hi-tech careerfield I could find back in 1976. You can not imagine how obsolete it is today. I took my chances with the dice like anyone else.

I wish you luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 01:48 PM

16,116 posts, read 20,148,778 times
Having been a Recruiter I can tell you, It's ALWAYS a good day to joiin the ARMY

Old 12-22-2011, 02:33 PM

930 posts, read 1,575,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I went into the highest hi-tech careerfield I could find back in 1976. You can not imagine how obsolete it is today.

So true. My FIL, an engineer, started his career in a field that would never end..... US-made television sets.

When we quit making TVs in the US, he moved on to an industry sure never to die out..... he designed pay phones.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:39 PM

3,267 posts, read 4,777,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post
So true. My FIL, an engineer, started his career in a field that would never end..... US-made television sets.

When we quit making TVs in the US, he moved on to an industry sure never to die out..... he designed pay phones.
that's a good one

Old 12-22-2011, 06:10 PM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post

Sweet

On the other hand, one thing I did that has not became obsolete is completing 20-years in uniform.

I got my first pension check in 2001. They still come to me every month right on time.

That roll of the dice was right on.

I know a lot about mainframe computers used underwater to launch satellites into orbit, which seems fairly obsolete. But being retired does not get obsolete.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:44 PM

930 posts, read 1,575,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
But being retired does not get obsolete.

Amen to that.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:02 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,958,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Having been a Recruiter I can tell you, It's ALWAYS a good day to joiin the ARMY
Unless its football season...then the Army shows how much it sucks.....*Runs away again*

Old 12-23-2011, 12:11 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
its always a good time to join. however if u do it during war, better have a definite career plan otherwise u r going to be getting shot at alot.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:10 AM

110 posts, read 81,336 times
Its always a good time.im 25,passed the asvab and just did all my paperwork. last week i went to MEPS and couldnt do anything because of an error.i spent 12 hours watching videos about hitler but will be back there next week.my brother who is also in the army said it would be a better idea to go in as an officer but i just tested and didnt score high enough so i will start as an E4.i have no problem with that.i want to get into law enforcement so if MP is unavailable then i will more than likely do something combat related.good luck!

Old 12-23-2011, 10:30 AM

3,868 posts, read 7,420,264 times
Are there any exceptions for people over 40 to join? I'll join tomorrow if there is anything that can be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues