U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 11:49 AM

23,003 posts, read 35,228,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Are there any exceptions for people over 40 to join? I'll join tomorrow if there is anything that can be done.
I doubt it unless you have prior military service time....

You can start calling recruiters....

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 12:00 PM

2,716 posts, read 2,377,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piffler View Post
Its always a good time.im 25,passed the asvab and just did all my paperwork. last week i went to MEPS and couldnt do anything because of an error.i spent 12 hours watching videos about hitler but will be back there next week.my brother who is also in the army said it would be a better idea to go in as an officer but i just tested and didnt score high enough so i will start as an E4.i have no problem with that.i want to get into law enforcement so if MP is unavailable then i will more than likely do something combat related.good luck!
Cool Good Luck!

I was of thinking doing the AFROTC or NROTC route and becoming a officer. I plan to go talk more with a recruiter tomorrow or whenever they open back up.

Thanks everyone for the info!

Old 12-26-2011, 10:29 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,752,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Are there any exceptions for people over 40 to join? I'll join tomorrow if there is anything that can be done.
Within the last two years the Army was taking recruits up to age 41. Check with a recruiter but I do think it has been lowered.

I can't imagine starting in basic with the youngsters when over 40.

I retired in 2008 at age 42 with 24 years service.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:53 AM

4,067 posts, read 3,815,157 times
Sure. Just make sure you get a job that you like otherwise you will hate the experience.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:50 PM

16,061 posts, read 18,947,198 times
Anyone who joins the military in order to avoid serving in conflict is in for a disappointment. Armed Conflict is what you are training for and what you are paid to do

Old 12-27-2011, 06:50 PM

4,669 posts, read 5,263,047 times
would think that you and your (female) friend would be separated for basic training regardless. may get together during AIT if you qualify and choose the same MOS.

unit cohesion and focus, you know.

which gets to the other side of your question, military service is first and foremost about service. not to say there aren't personal benefits and a good life

so good luck and best

Old 05-29-2012, 02:59 PM

2,716 posts, read 2,377,113 times
Just a update
OK a few months later I have been talking to recruiters.

I have been working on getting in "Military Shape". I've been doing a lot of walking and running, 3-5 miles a day. I've been doing the sit ups, and a few push ups. I think my running endurance is fine, I'm kinda concerned about the muscular endurance. I'm not into weight lifting, so I'm concerned that I may be a little behind.

We are hoping to be at either Navy or Air Force Basic training by next fall, winter, or spring... Air Force BMT in Texas heat does not sound good.

Anyway I have a few more questions and I did not want to make a whole different thread. I haven't talked to the recruiter in a few weeks, in addition I want other people opinions.

- Can someone please tell me the weight of the bags that I would have to carry everywhere with me in BMT? I have heard 30 pounds, 60 and 100 pounds. I live near a hill and we would like to make a bags and train on that some how.

-One things that seems to interest me right now now is Submarine Duty, is it possible to go directly to Submarine duty after Basic Training (and any additional training)? Any pros, and cons I should be aware of other then not seeing daylight for 3-6 months.

- Finally I am 24, I am thinking about doing the AFROTC at a local college, so I can get a feel of what to expect. Are there a lot of older people around 24 or older who do AFROTC? I know it would depend on the college, but has anyone completed the program as a older student?

If I understand the website correctly I would only have to do about 2 years of AFROTC because I already have a degree.

thanks for any help

Old 02-18-2015, 09:22 AM

2 posts, read 944 times
Whats going guys my names robert and I'm thinking about joining the usaf. I'm 21 years old married with a son that's 2. I've decided to change my life for the better an become something my son will look up to and that will better me as a person. Just to give an idea of me I love being active, played all sports in Hs and I'm pretty damn smart. Anybody out there been in the AF or been on active duty recently? Would love to know more about military life an how it will benefit me and my family?

Old 02-18-2015, 09:23 AM

2 posts, read 944 times
Exclamation help

anybody with experience please feel free to let me know what I be getting myself into.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:28 PM

2,379 posts, read 3,936,372 times
I think you'd have better luck if you started your own thread with more specific questions?

I'm a former Marine and a woman so I can't speak much to the Air Force...

As to your family - some women make great military wives and love the lifestyle, others not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues