Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 01:07 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,023,523 times

Advertisements

A friend and I are considering joining the Navy or Air Force together. We are both 23.

We are just wondering if now is a good time to enter?

We are seeing alot of talk of cutting spending, closing a lot bases. Along with the wars ending.

It concerns us that if we make this career change, it wont last long. It probably wont be as good as what the recruiter claims.
We are reading stuff about cuts to benefits, pay, schools (we don't have any kids, but if we do, and we are living on base we would like our kids to possibly go to the schools that are on base,) etc.

Also we have read that the Navy is the only service in which Males and Females train with each other in BMT. Though I've read that maybe changing soon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 01:23 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
I'm not quite sure what you want to know. Are there cuts in the works? Yes. Will there still be good benefits? Yes. Are you looking at doing this for a few years or as a career?

Old 12-21-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I'm not quite sure what you want to know. Are there cuts in the works? Yes. Will there still be good benefits? Yes. Are you looking at doing this for a few years or as a career?
We hope it becomes a career. We just don't want to make this commitment only to have benefits/pay cuts.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:34 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
We hope it becomes a career. We just don't want to make this commitment only to have benefits/pay cuts.
It's not a bad life, Jermaine. It's very hard to say what is up ahead, but it's pretty clear there are going to be benefit cuts. Most of the benefits that are cut are things you probably aren't even thinking about -- such as tuition assistance for spouses. As far as the main benefits, they probably won't be touched. There is talk of overhauling the retirement system, but that gets discussed over few years or so only to be tabled. Pay cuts will also not occur, but pay raises won't be as generous as they have been. (They've been pretty good for the past decade.)

If I were you, and I was considering joining, I wouldn't be thinking about upcoming cuts. They aren't going to effect you much. By the time you are mid career, the cuts will have been made and you won't get pushed out.

No one can tell the future. All I can tell you is to talk to people who are currently in and see if that sounds like a lifestyle you'd like. Other than the time spent away from family (which is going to significantly decrease), I like it a lot. I did not expect to enjoy military service as much as I have, but it's fun. You get to travel, meet new people, do interesting things. The compensation is also pretty good.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:15 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,435 times
Yes!!! I been in for 7 of our this country's worst 10 years, I got out after -3- 1-year deployments but, with recent news I'm kickin' my own ass...

1. The civilian economy is in the crapper, you'll be lucky even to get a crappy miminum wage ($7.25/hr) job.
2. Yea you work hard and, more hours, but still your hourly rate divides up to about $11-14 entry level (roughly E1 - E3).
3. Iraq is over and done with and, Obama wants re-election so Afghanistan troop numbers are gonna be dropped by a lot as well.
4. This nobody could have predicted, Kim-Jong-Il died, so North Korea is not gonna be the threat it used to be, that 28 year-old who looks like some fat 16 year-old is not gonna mess with America, Japan or even South Korea.
5. As a result of all this deployments are gonna go way down. I did 3 in 7 years... but just starting you might do like 4 over the next 20.
6. If you get married and / or have kids, you do not pay anything for doctors or medicine. Service is slow as crap but, it really is free.
7. All the money that's -not- being wasted on Iraq now is now being used to improve stateside facilities.

Do It! Reply if ya got more specific questions, what I do know I'll be happy to let you know.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:57 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
A friend and I are considering joining the Navy or Air Force together. We are both 23.

We are seeing alot of talk of cutting spending, closing a lot bases. Along with the wars ending.

It concerns us that if we make this career change, it wont last long. It probably wont be as good as what the recruiter claims.
We are reading stuff about cuts to benefits, pay, schools (we don't have any kids, but if we do, and we are living on base we would like our kids to possibly go to the schools that are on base,) etc.

Also we have read that the Navy is the only service in which Males and Females train with each other in BMT. Though I've read that maybe changing soon?
Quote:
What did you not like about the Army, Marine Corps or Coast Guard?

Yes, now is a good time to enter. I've been hearing of cutting spending for 40 years. they started cutting bases about 20 years ago.

What benefits have they cut. Pay cuts? No....

I thought the Army had already had BCT gender-integrated training. Why is that even an issue?

Life is like that. If you make a commitment in the military, they will most likely allow you to keep that obligation time, if not there is the Reserves and National Guard etc... Whatever time you serve will most likely be an unforgettable experience which will help your future.

The advice I most commonly give is go talk to all the recruiters...

Rich

Old 12-21-2011, 06:05 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,941,510 times
Quote:

This is false.

The Marine Corps is the only branch that still trains males and females separatley. They are housed separatley in all branches.

If you are enlisting, it will at least last for your term of enlistment. That is what your contract is for...a promise to serve x amount of years and a promise that if you do as you are told and behave they will keep you for x years. No employer anywhere will ever promise to keep you for your full career the day they hire you, though I dare say you have a much better chance of that happening in the military than with civilian employers.

I have heard about force shaping boards for commisioned officers in the Air Force, but I don't know the specifics. Maybe someone else does.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:07 PM
JAQ

74 posts, read 233,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Curious also on this

I just got out in October from the Army. Served 4 years active, it had it's up's and down's but for the most part I enjoyed serving.

You also gotta remember that this is a selfless service, yeah you might see it as a ways to make money and turn it into a career, but remember you are serving your country.

I started seeing way too many new soldiers coming into the unit complaining about how they do not have free time for themselves. If you do join, hopefully you won't be one of those types.

Goodluck to you.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
I'm a techie/geek/nerd kinda person. The Navy and Air Force seem to be most high tech branches.
I was majoring in Aviation (I was a student pilot)for a while, that got expensive, and the economy and jobs prospect turned really REALLY crappy. So I took up business.

(I am also 100% fluent in French, Spanish, currently trying to learn Chinese.)

I still have this insane interest for aviation and anything dealing with the sky. I'm a very active hobbyist programmer, and basically a computer geek. It's probably a little too late to be a fighter pilot, but just getting into the aviation/computer field, would be cool.
So the Navy and Air Force seem to be the best choices.

Last edited by Jermaine88; 12-21-2011 at 11:36 PM..

Old 12-21-2011, 11:29 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,899 times
Quote:
I'm a techie/geek/nerd kinda person. The Navy and Air Force seem to be most high tech branches.
I was majoring in Aviation (I was a student pilot)for a while, that got expensive, and the economy and jobs prospect turned really REALLY crappy. So I took up business.

I still have this insane interest for aviation and anything dealing with the sky. I'm a very active hobbyist programmer, and basically a computer geek.
It's probably a little too late to be a fighter pilot, but just getting into the aviation field, would be cool.
So the Navy and Air Force seem to be the best choices.

In other words, this person has a brain..... *runs and ducks for cover*

Pssst...pssstt....Go Navy....Chair force gets made fun of....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues