U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 11:31 AM

7,150 posts, read 8,476,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miticoman View Post
Sorry People I do not speak English very well, but I understand that op has sought advice regarding his personal problems to relate himself to others, I think he is aiming to strengthen his personality in the military life , I think in your case it is not important what kind of military force you will chose, as I understand that you have good intellectual qualities, but the important thing is that you work on yourself, I advise you, if you allow it, an individual sport as martial arts exsemp judo, it definitely will help you.
good luck
Excellent point ... first rate post.
I am not trying to denigrate the military experience when I mention "other options" ... but the military is too often seen as the only way to develop qualities of personal courage and strength ... it is not the only way. Martial arts is another example of a unique path to particularly excellent individual development. While it is certainly not a "career path", martial arts, like many sports, is remarkably supportive and adaptive to everything else a person does in life. The personality qualities of strength and confidence and shedding a thin skin are there in spades.

The OP's educational background will offer many choices for a career. This post offers an excellent option when considering how to combine diverse opportunity with his goals without limiting the process to only military choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 12:11 PM

16,116 posts, read 20,161,295 times
From what I have seen most people who went into the Navy NUKE program wound up serving four years as enlisted men on assault craft or garbage scows at the peasure of the Navy. Very few ever got to Nuclear anything.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:09 PM

11,987 posts, read 10,689,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
From what I have seen most people who went into the Navy NUKE program wound up serving four years as enlisted men on assault craft or garbage scows at the peasure of the Navy. Very few ever got to Nuclear anything.
That's probably because most of them did not have the intelligence to make the cut. The OP is probably one of the few who can -- and he's interested in military life. This to me seems like a no-brainer. If he successfully completes the program, he will be well compensated, as he should be. He'll also be around other people who were able to complete a very tough school that most wash out of. They will appreciate his intelligence and not think he's "weird." I'd hate to see this guy surrounded by a bunch of knuckleheads in combat arms who have second-rate degrees in fields like history from third-rate schools.

Old 12-24-2011, 05:01 PM

3,301 posts, read 4,786,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
That's probably because most of them did not have the intelligence to make the cut. The OP is probably one of the few who can -- and he's interested in military life. This to me seems like a no-brainer. If he successfully completes the program, he will be well compensated, as he should be. He'll also be around other people who were able to complete a very tough school that most wash out of. They will appreciate his intelligence and not think he's "weird." I'd hate to see this guy surrounded by a bunch of knuckleheads in combat arms who have second-rate degrees in fields like history from third-rate schools.
No, almost all of the young men have the intelligence to make it in the Nuke program. However the Navy weeds out the ones they feel would not make a good nuclear reactor operator. To be a navy nuke you need a very high asvab score a "VE+AR+MK+NAPT = 290 (with minimum 50 NAPT score)" and a minimum amount on the Nuclear aptitude proficiency test, along with Algebra 1&2, and trig. in high school. The NAPT when I took it was a trig and physics test. What happens to people and many of the nukes I knew in Orlando is they realize that the enlisted side of the nuke field is a 16 hour a day job with no end in site for six years and just give up. They go to school for 40 hours a week and then study for 40 hours mandatory. Also prototype weeds people out too with the 12 hour work days. It's a difficult job, with attention to detail required, and not much of a job satisfaction. However the individual people you are around are extremely bright and usually among the top 1% of all enlisted people in the military.

The officers I knew how ever loved it, as they were treated extremely well, and knew they where people who were picked for future advancement in the Navy.

Also to the original poster, not only would you be teaching classes, but also would be leading training exercises on the reactors, drills, and being expected to instill in the younger men a since of responsibility necessary to run a reactor .

Old 12-24-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
No, almost all of the young men have the intelligence to make it in the Nuke program. However the Navy weeds out the ones they feel would not make a good nuclear reactor operator. To be a navy nuke you need a very high asvab score a "VE+AR+MK+NAPT = 290 (with minimum 50 NAPT score)" and a minimum amount on the Nuclear aptitude proficiency test, along with Algebra 1&2, and trig. in high school. The NAPT when I took it was a trig and physics test. What happens to people and many of the nukes I knew in Orlando is they realize that the enlisted side of the nuke field is a 16 hour a day job with no end in site for six years and just give up. They go to school for 40 hours a week and then study for 40 hours mandatory. Also prototype weeds people out too with the 12 hour work days. It's a difficult job, with attention to detail required, and not much of a job satisfaction. However the individual people you are around are extremely bright and usually among the top 1% of all enlisted people in the military.

The officers I knew how ever loved it, as they were treated extremely well, and knew they where people who were picked for future advancement in the Navy.

Also to the original poster, not only would you be teaching classes, but also would be leading training exercises on the reactors, drills, and being expected to instill in the younger men a since of responsibility necessary to run a reactor .
Thanks for the insight.

Old 12-24-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
You know the OP well enough to make these asssertions?
"IF HE SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETES THE PROGRAM" and if he does not.
As one of the knuckledraggers you refer to I can only marvel at your attitude.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
You know the OP well enough to make these asssertions?
"IF HE SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETES THE PROGRAM" and if he does not.
As one of the knuckledraggers you refer to I can only marvel at your attitude.
I don't know the OP, boompa. I'm just picturing a shy, scientist type. (My uncle is a Phd in Physics. I'm imagining the OP like that.) I don't see that type in FA. I see a square peg trying to fit into a round hole. I bet there is a great fit for him somewhere in the military, but FA? I apologize if I offended you. That wasn't my intent.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
I don't know the OP, boompa. I'm just picturing a shy, scientist type. (My uncle is a Phd in Physics. I'm imagining the OP like that.) I don't see that type in FA. I see a square peg trying to fit into a round hole. I bet there is a great fit for him somewhere in the military, but FA? I apologize if I offended you. That wasn't my intent.
Navy Nuke has no guarantee, if you don't complete the traaining, which most don't, you have enlisted in the Navy for 4 years and they get to pick your assignment.
I'll stick with a guarantee

Old 12-24-2011, 11:11 PM

3,301 posts, read 4,786,137 times
Quote:
Navy Nuke has no guarantee, if you don't complete the traaining, which most don't, you have enlisted in the Navy for 4 years and they get to pick your assignment.
I'll stick with a guarantee
No that isn't the case, a lot of it depends upon your attitude and training records. I had a friend who tried his best during nuke A school and failed out, they reassigned him to CT school. Another guy I knew gave up during A school, didn't study, wasn't motivated, and they sent him to the fleet as a boats en mate. He chipped paint for 4 years, I ran into him at Rota when his ship docked one time and he loved being a boats go figure. Any way this doesn't matter as the guy is going to try and go in as an officer.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:44 PM

5,489 posts, read 8,173,490 times
Check into the PLC (Platoon leaders course)

This will give you time to see before you are locked in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues