Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 08:17 PM

19 posts, read 61,915 times

Advertisements

I'm currently a graduate student in a Physics PhD program, but I have recently considered dropping out and pursuing a career where I can work on real world applications as opposed to theory. I have considered becoming a commissioned officer in the military

One reason for my wanting to switch careers is because I have found working on technical problems to be a little boring. Last semester, I couldn't help but want to put in more time and effort into my duties/responsibilities as a TA than I should have (it interfered with my studies). I liked being able to lead the class and be responsible for making decisions. However, I went through a TON of stress by having to deal with some difficult students. I want to get over being so thin-skinned

Another reason I want to join force is because I'm a typical nerdy, shy student. I can be extremely shy at times when I have to socialize. Also, I don't have many hobbies other than studying and reading, so its hard for me to relate to people. That is why I have hardly any friends. But I feel alot more comfortable around people when I have to teach, tutor, or be a TA. Also, I want to change my personality. I want to be more confident and be less socially awkward and less of a pushover.

Finally, I consider myself a patriot and I have an interest in military technology.

So..I wanna hear from insider's perspective. Do you guys think I can make it in there? Or will I get eaten alive if I try to join?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 08:54 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
I think you might be a very good fit for some technical branches. The military has some "nerds" in addition to the "jocks". Which career and military branch were you considering?

Old 12-21-2011, 08:57 PM

I'm considering the Army and Air Force. I'm thinking of being an officer in the Field Artillery Branch

Old 12-21-2011, 09:08 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cypherscouter13 View Post
I'm considering the Army and Air Force. I'm thinking of being an officer in the Field Artillery Branch
Before there were computers or hand held calculators the Field Artillery had special jobs for the the Nerdy who could use pencil and paper to figure all of the geometry and trig involved in hitting a target several miles away that you can not see. I imagine the same is true today using computers and GPS. Artillery is a Combat Arms branch though and as an Officer you would supervise front line troops. Perhaps a nice Missle Silo in the Dakotas

Old 12-21-2011, 09:22 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
So..I wanna hear from insider's perspective. Do you guys think I can make it in there? Or will I get eaten alive if I try to join?
Only one way to find out, go for it! I am betting you will not regret the decision...

Rich

Old 12-21-2011, 09:40 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
Quote:
I've known quite a few Army FA officers, cypher. They're "jock" types. They're smart, but they also seem like the type who played football in high school. That might work for you, but are you sure that's what you want? You describe yourself as a shy nerd. Don't you want to be around people who are more like you?

Old 12-21-2011, 10:31 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times
Quote:
I'm currently a graduate student in a Physics PhD program, but I have recently considered dropping out and pursuing a career where I can work on real world applications as opposed to theory. I have considered becoming a commissioned officer in the military

One reason for my wanting to switch careers is because I have found working on technical problems to be a little boring. Last semester, I couldn't help but want to put in more time and effort into my duties/responsibilities as a TA than I should have (it interfered with my studies). I liked being able to lead the class and be responsible for making decisions. However, I went through a TON of stress by having to deal with some difficult students. I want to get over being so thin-skinned

Another reason I want to join force is because I'm a typical nerdy, shy student. I can be extremely shy at times when I have to socialize. Also, I don't have many hobbies other than studying and reading, so its hard for me to relate to people. That is why I have hardly any friends. But I feel alot more comfortable around people when I have to teach, tutor, or be a TA. Also, I want to change my personality. I want to be more confident and be less socially awkward and less of a pushover.

Finally, I consider myself a patriot and I have an interest in military technology.

As a veteran of a combat intensive unit in Vietnam, I would say that I observed some quiet nerdy types who had real stamina and courage and depth ... and I observed some hot-shot jocks who didn't turn out to be so hot. Only you know what's really inside. Outside doesn't mean much.

One other comment though -- re: wanting to change your personality. Personalities don't change much, really ... there is, however, such a thing as metamorphosis that brings out existing qualities. If that's possible in your case, the military is certainly a likely environment to support the realization. That said, the military is not the only experience that will test your mettle. And there are certainly many constructive challenges that don't involve participating in a culture of destruction. The military has its place in reality -- so do studying volcanoes or grizzly bears and fighting forest fires

Old 12-21-2011, 11:16 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
If you aren't willing to be challenged, you'll never find out want you can be. If you join the service you are sure to find out. Go for it, you don't having anything to lose and everything to gain.

As the slogan goes, "be all that you can be."

Old 12-21-2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I've known quite a few Army FA officers, cypher. They're "jock" types. They're smart, but they also seem like the type who played football in high school. That might work for you, but are you sure that's what you want? You describe yourself as a shy nerd. Don't you want to be around people who are more like you?
I'd prefer hanging out with less difficult people. I'm willing to stay a nerd, but I absolutely must stop being shy and thin-skinned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
If you aren't willing to be challenged, you'll never find out want you can be. If you join the service you are sure to find out. Go for it, you don't having anything to lose and everything to gain.

As the slogan goes, "be all that you can be."

how should I get started? Apply for OCS? Take an ROTC course in grad school? I'm not sure my department will let me take a course that isn't related to my studies

Old 12-22-2011, 12:06 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
how should I get started? Apply for OCS? Take an ROTC course in grad school? I'm not sure my department will let me take a course that isn't related to my studies
Try for OCS. You already have a degree, don't think ROTC will take you...

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues