U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2011, 06:32 PM

443 posts, read 743,653 times

Advertisements

My main aim is to move to Missouri (i'm from Georgia). I'm hoping to join the military and save enough to move there when done (assuming I can't make it a career). If I can't make it a career I'd want to join one of their National Guard units.

Is it possible to move there while still serving? By move I mean become a Missouri resident, with driver's license etc? if so how?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 06:53 PM

3,270 posts, read 4,779,018 times
Very easy...However

If you make the military your career you are much better off switching your state of residence to Florida, Texas, Tennessee, or a couple of other states that have no income tax. It saves you about $500 to $2000 a year. Then in your final year change your state of residency to Missouri, and then you can have your household goods shipped to your final residence.

I don't think the Army has a lot of bases in Missouri, however the Air Force has a lot.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:20 PM

443 posts, read 743,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Very easy...However

If you make the military your career you are much better off switching your state of residence to Florida, Texas, Tennessee, or a couple of other states that have no income tax. It saves you about $500 to $2000 a year. Then in your final year change your state of residency to Missouri, and then you can have your household goods shipped to your final residence.

I don't think the Army has a lot of bases in Missouri, however the Air Force has a lot.
Thank you very much for your answer . I'm still somewhat confused though.

As far as I understand it, to be a resident of a certain state you have to have lived there for a year (rent or own) and provide a utility bill proving such. That and other things like a state tax return. But I assume I'll not physically be in MO in order to do that so does it mean I would have to come out, then wait the year, then become a resident or?

And how would they ship the goods to a final state if I have no place to stay there? In other words, say i say i live in Washington state, would the military allow me to say I've lived somewhere I've never been?

I'm not trying to break any rules or laws. I'm just wondering f there's some sort of procedure to expedite moving whilst deployed / on duty somewhere.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:44 PM

24,133 posts, read 38,883,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecreamsandwich View Post
I'm not trying to break any rules or laws. I'm just wondering f there's some sort of procedure to expedite moving whilst deployed / on duty somewhere.
Yes, it is called DD Form 2058, which is a Department of Defense form. To be used by military personnel In part it says:

Quote:
The formula for changing your State of legal residence/domicile is simply stated as follows: physical presence in the new State with
the simultaneous intent of making it your permanent home and abandonment of the old State of legal residence/domicile.

In most cases, you must actually reside in the new State at the time you form the intent to make it your permanent home. Such intent
must be clearly indicated. Your intent to make the new State your permanent home may be indicated by certain actions such as: (1)
registering to vote; (2) purchasing residential property or an unimproved residential lot; (3) titling and registering your
automobile(s); (4) notifying the State of your previous legal residence/domicile of the change in your State of legal
residence/domicile; and (5) preparing a new last will and testament which indicates your new State of legal residence/domicile.

Finally, you must comply with the applicable tax laws of the State which is your new legal residence/domicile.

Generally, unless these steps have been taken, it is doubtful that your State of legal residence/domicile has changed. Failure to
resolve any doubts as to your State of legal residence/domicile may adversely impact on certain legal privileges which depend on
legal residence/domicile including among others, eligibility for resident tuition rates at State universities, eligibility to vote or be a
candidate for public office, and eligibility for various welfare benefits. If you have any doubt with regard to your State of legal
residence/domicile, you are advised to see your Legal Assistance Officer (JAG Representative) for advice prior to completing this
form.
The entire form in PDF Format is here: http://www.armymwr.com/UserFiles/fil...rts/dd2058.pdf

But you may be jumping ahead. Getting into the military can be difficult. I believe you should go talk to ALL the recruiters to get an idea what the military is really about and to see what the qualifications are required.

Changing your residence once you are in the military will be a different issue.

Good luck to you.

Rich

Old 12-30-2011, 10:34 PM

2,159 posts, read 3,734,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Very easy...However

It doesn't work that way. You can't just switch your state of residency to whatever state you want for the sake of it. You have to meet certain criteria to be a resident in a state.

If you join the Army, upon ETSing or retirement, the military will pay for you to move to whatever is listed as your home of record. They won't just pay for you to move to any random place you want

Best bet is to speak to a local recruiter. Getting harder and harder to go active as numbers are getting cut and qualifications getting stricter. What about the Reserves?

Old 12-31-2011, 06:56 AM

2,633 posts, read 4,394,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
If you join the Army, upon ETSing or retirement, the military will pay for you to move to whatever is listed as your home of record. They won't just pay for you to move to any random place you want
Actually, they will...as long as it costs less than your home of record. Example: you join in California, which remains your home of record, and are stationed in Georgia. You ETS/retire, and want to make your final move to Virginia. That move costs less than California. It can, indeed, be done.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:32 AM

HOR (Home Of Record) and Domicile (Residence) for taxes are two different issues.

Some states do not have state income tax and some states which do have state income tax do not collect the tax from active duty military if they are stationed elsewhere.

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 12-31-2011 at 07:34 PM..

Old 12-31-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
HOR (Home Of Record) and Domicile (Residence) for taxes are two different issues.

Some states do not have state income tax and some states which do have state income tax do not collect the tax from active duty military if they are stationed elsewhere.

Rich
Yes, I know that. But you can not just pick any random state for the heck of it.

Say for instance you were born in Cali. You are now stationed in Massachusetts. You can not just claim, say South Dakota, for residency for tax purposes. You have to either A- choose the state you enlisted from, B- choose the current state you are living in or C- choose the state from which you last voted in or have some sort of connection in such as property in your name

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 12-31-2011 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: fix double signature

Old 12-31-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Actually, they will...as long as it costs less than your home of record. Example: you join in California, which remains your home of record, and are stationed in Georgia. You ETS/retire, and want to make your final move to Virginia. That move costs less than California. It can, indeed, be done.
hmm... I will need to look into this some more. Thank you

Old 12-31-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:

Rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Yes, I know that. But you can not just pick any random state for the heck of it.
I never said or implied that. Earlier I quoted part of DD Form 2058 "State of Legal Residence Certificate"

Quote:
Yes, it is called DD Form 2058, which is a Department of Defense form. To be used by military personnel In part it says:
Quote:
The formula for changing your State of legal residence/domicile is simply stated as follows: physical presence in the new State with
the simultaneous intent of making it your permanent home and abandonment of the old State of legal residence/domicile.

In most cases, you must actually reside in the new State at the time you form the intent to make it your permanent home. Such intent
must be clearly indicated. Your intent to make the new State your permanent home may be indicated by certain actions such as: (1)
registering to vote; (2) purchasing residential property or an unimproved residential lot; (3) titling and registering your
automobile(s); (4) notifying the State of your previous legal residence/domicile of the change in your State of legal
residence/domicile; and (5) preparing a new last will and testament which indicates your new State of legal residence/domicile.

Finally, you must comply with the applicable tax laws of the State which is your new legal residence/domicile.

Generally, unless these steps have been taken, it is doubtful that your State of legal residence/domicile has changed. Failure to
resolve any doubts as to your State of legal residence/domicile may adversely impact on certain legal privileges which depend on
legal residence/domicile including among others, eligibility for resident tuition rates at State universities, eligibility to vote or be a
candidate for public office, and eligibility for various welfare benefits. If you have any doubt with regard to your State of legal
residence/domicile, you are advised to see your Legal Assistance Officer (JAG Representative) for advice prior to completing this
form.
The entire form in PDF Format is here: http://www.armymwr.com/UserFiles/fil...rts/dd2058.pdf

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues