Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2012, 05:02 PM

39 posts, read 679,278 times

Advertisements

My husband is in the Marines and is a First Sergeant. We currently live in San Diego and he is up for orders on the 9th of this month. He is over in Afghanistan so the monitor is going out there for him and the other five 1st Sergeants in his unit. Our three picks are off the hot sheet, Cherry Point NC (MP), Camp Lejune NC (MP), and Jacksonville FL. Not only does he need orders because his unit is getting all new 1st Sergeants but also because his knee has been giving out the past couple years. He received surgery on his knee in 2001 & was better for a few years but while on this deployment it got worse and he received a letter from the orthopedic surgeon there stating he is to be immediately removed from Infantry to something administrative because of the arthritis/damage to his knee from his previous 16 years in the Marines. Stated in the letter that he is no longer deployable. He has been out on a boat twice, two times to Iraq (getting the Purple Heart in 2006) and currently in Afghanistan. (He's not a slacker just not wanting to deploy). My question.....what are the chances we will be able to move from here with him having to move out of the Infantry (our last move with an address change was January 2008 from 29 Palms to here. Last April they moved him over to Camp Pendleton and we didn't change addresses). Are there any magic words he needs to say or do we have a good chance anyway with the Surgeons note and there being lack of admin jobs listed for 1st Sergeants on the west coast? **Note...he will be retiring in April 2016 at 20 years of service....we are wanting to stay on the east coast after his retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 05:48 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,607,512 times
He might be lucky to make it to 20 with the coming cutbacks.

As far as admin jobs, is he going to retrain into a new mos or are they going to allow him to be the paper pusher NCO? One of the things he could do is try to get a training billet as a school house instructor depending upon his mos with the Marines right now. What is his current job in the infantry? Is it infantry infantry or something else with it?

Old 01-06-2012, 06:18 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,897,872 times
I'm a Marine. As a 1stSgt, on track to be a SgtMaj. He has an "admin". The 1stSgt and SgtMaj ranks are the mostly administrative in nature and are the enlisted advisors to a commander.

The unit your husband shuold be looking to get to next is a reserve unit. Most fleet first sergeants find themselves in infantry unit. Reserve units are the only ones typically en masse that rate a 1stSgt. Reserve units typically have 1stSgts as their senior enlisted personnel instead of SgtMajs. Another place he should try to go is a non-deployable base like Quantico, or Albany. If he picks up SgtMaj then there are a bunch of non-infantry units he could end up at.

At bellhead. The Marine Corps enlisted ranks split at E8, if you stay within your MOS you become Msgt, then MGySgt. Only going this route would be eligible to teach at the school house.
First sergeant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-07-2012, 03:41 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,165 times
Was his orthopedic surgeon a military doctor or civilian doctor? A orthopedic surgeon can recommend someone have another job, but that is all it is, a recommendation. The surgeons note really isn't going to mean anything. Is your husband on permanent profile then? How long has he had one and when is the last time it was reviewed if so?

As I see it, with all the cuts coming soon, this could potentially put him on the list of soldiers who will be pushed for early retirement.

All military branches are going to start reviewing soldiers who have been on permanent profile for a long time for med board reviews. A lot of people are going to end up out of the military sooner than they anticipated, while others will be happy to hear they will be getting out earlier.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:27 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,607,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
I'm a Marine. As a 1stSgt, on track to be a SgtMaj. He has an "admin". The 1stSgt and SgtMaj ranks are the mostly administrative in nature and are the enlisted advisors to a commander.

The unit your husband shuold be looking to get to next is a reserve unit. Most fleet first sergeants find themselves in infantry unit. Reserve units are the only ones typically en masse that rate a 1stSgt. Reserve units typically have 1stSgts as their senior enlisted personnel instead of SgtMajs. Another place he should try to go is a non-deployable base like Quantico, or Albany. If he picks up SgtMaj then there are a bunch of non-infantry units he could end up at.

At bellhead. The Marine Corps enlisted ranks split at E8, if you stay within your MOS you become Msgt, then MGySgt. Only going this route would be eligible to teach at the school house.
First sergeant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thanks, did n't know that a little different than the Navy. As an E-8 there's gotta be a back office job he can "hide" in until he gets to 20.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:14 PM

39 posts, read 679,278 times
The surgeon is an O-5 in the military, also the chief of staff at a major military hospital. My husband has a Master's in Forensics so I think they can utilize that as an admin position with the MP's on the East Coast. When the surgeon wrote the letter he also stated that even though my husband has a knee injury this in no way will keep in from performing his job in an non-infantry position. Also that he has an outstanding record and numerous awards for his hard work and dedication (he really likes my husband). Currently my husband is working at h&s as the main guy in charge of 500+ service members while he is deployed at one of the camps, so I believe this will transfer over well and hopefully his knee will not be an issue because of the work he is doing currently with a bad knee....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues