U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 06:28 PM

5,283 posts, read 8,239,333 times

Advertisements

Everyone has given excellent information so far but I did want to address your question regarding how the services "rank".

The services rank as follows;
1) United States Marine Corps.
2) Navy
3) Army
and finally the air force.....

At least that's the way this former Marine sees it......

In all seriousness though, all services have a role to play in national defense. None are "ranked" higher than another although the Marine Corps is under the Navy Department......

One thing I am shocked at is you can't find a recruiter. I guess with the economy in the dumper and the announced cuts to defense spending the recruiters aren't as hungry as they used to be.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-11-2012 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: Fixed obvious spelling error.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 11:36 PM

467 posts, read 1,278,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Everyone has given excellent information so far but I did want to address your question regarding how the services "rank".

The services rank as follows;
1) United States Marine Corps.
2) Navy
And us squids only got #2 because we're your ride

Old 01-17-2012, 04:16 AM

443 posts, read 744,395 times
If you haven't already go to about.com and look. LOTS of info there. For some reason the navy isn't as forthcoming about their jobs and the recruiter I spoke to actually asked me to go there...

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/navy/...tates_Navy.htm

Old 01-17-2012, 01:33 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,991,427 times
Keep your HS grades up too. Those will be a big help in getting something useful out of your military experience. My niece just got a full college education through the Navy but be ready to be in the service a longer time than just a simple enlistment (if such a thing still exists). I guess you can tell I was a part of "the old army". In any event good luck.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:32 PM

1,926 posts, read 3,911,136 times
I joined the navy out of high school and did just fine. And for the record there is nothing wrong with being a cook. It was my chosen profession, I went to the cordon bleu school and became a chef after I got out of the Navy.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:20 PM

2 posts, read 12,935 times
Ranking the services really involves evaluating what you like to do and what you want to do while you're in, and afterward.

All the recruiters are going to try to convince you that theirs is the best. That's their job.

The different services perform different functions in different manners, and post-military opportunities differ.

Navy - lots of very technical jobs and they go around the world projecting America's power, bringing the battle to our enemies. -- the BEST potential for a broad range of technical jobs afterward, as there probably isnít a single job in the Navy that doesnít have an equivalent civilian occupation.

Marines - originally started as soldiers aboard ships to defend the ships from boarders and to board enemy ships once they were subdued; still part of the Department of the Navy; today they're the high mobility combat force; the first ones in & the first ones out Ė everyone is a rifleman first, so good prep for leadership, but limited civilian job potential --- career potential sucks right now because Obama wants to cut 20,000

Army - soldiers who do a big build up prior to massive invasion then after winning hang out way too long for my liking nation-building in places where they donít want us --- career potential also sucks right now because Obama wants to cut 80,000

Air Force - enlisted jobs primarily focused on maintaining the airplanes and airbases -- promotion is a bit slow; Iíve seen people retire as E-5ís without any disciplinary issues --- good potential for the same jobs in the airline industry

Coast Guard Ė mini-version of Navy with some cool toys to chase down drug-runners -- rarely deployed abroad --- good potential for jobs afterwards depending on what rating you get into.
One thing you should also know is that regardless of the length of your initial enlistment, youíre going to be obligated for 8 years of active & reserve service (e.g. 2 year enlistment comes with 6 years in the reserves, which given the way they manage wars nowadays could be practically active duty).

All that being said, let me plug the Naval Nuclear Power Program. Itís a 6 year program, but the first 2 years are basically equivalent to a BS in nuclear technology without all of the academic (English, Social Studies, etc.) classes. You come in as an E-3, and get promoted to E-4 when you finish A-School. By the time you finish the prototype phase of Nuclear Power School youíll probably be an E-5, but if you arenít, you can STAR re-enlist for 4 years reenlistment $$$, but only 2 extra years bringing you to that 8 year point, and youíll probably be an E-6 or E-7. Itís not very physically demanding and as a women youíll be a rare bird indeed. Since Nuclear Power School is accredited, you can combine it with off-duty college courses to get a Bachelorís degree, which will be very valuable for a post-Navy career, or you could parley it into a commission as an officer.

Last edited by ETC1966; 01-21-2012 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: bunch of font codes showing & paragraphs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues