U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2012, 03:29 PM

1 posts, read 8,407 times

Advertisements

I'm currently a senior in high school. Since i was a freshmen i wanted to join the navy. But i have difficulty where to even start. I need to know everything there is to know. Anything will help. I live in a rural area, on the reservation, with little sources to go by.

I want to join the navy.. But i want to know the differents betweeen the navy, marines, and army. Which one is higher rank?
Harder? What do they do? Etc? I have so many questions! But finding a recuiter on the rez is very difficult. Especially being a female wanting to join the military. I want to know what its like. What positions there are. (just questions after question.) but at this point anything will help. Anything info.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 04:30 PM

14,693 posts, read 22,464,412 times
Which one is higher rank? None. The ranks are the same even though the wording is different. E2 is a Private First Class in the USMC, a Seaman Apprentice in the Navy, etc.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:34 PM

519 posts, read 1,555,395 times
Obviously you still have much to learn about the military. There is a lot of information here in this very forum that'll answer most of your questions about each of the branches of service.

Although you live in a rural community there should be an armed forces recruiting station nearby or even a recruiter willing to pick you up or come by your place to provide you a 1 on 1 session maybe. But in any case good luck with your research. I'm sure plenty of the folks here will provide you with good info as well but its already been covered here.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:36 PM

13,388 posts, read 42,713,043 times
I think you need to get your facts straight before signing up for anything. How can you know if the Nav is right for you if you don't know the difference between the major branches of the services?

Do you have any specific ideas on MOS?

Old 01-09-2012, 05:57 PM

21,485 posts, read 26,089,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriacho View Post
I'm currently a senior in high school. Since i was a freshmen i wanted to join the navy. But i have difficulty where to even start. I need to know everything there is to know. Anything will help. I live in a rural area, on the reservation, with little sources to go by.

I want to join the navy.. But i want to know the differents betweeen the navy, marines, and army. Which one is higher rank?
Harder? What do they do? Etc? I have so many questions! But finding a recuiter on the rez is very difficult. Especially being a female wanting to join the military. I want to know what its like. What positions there are. (just questions after question.) but at this point anything will help. Anything info.
M3 Mitch just asked you what you want to be when you grow up!

Answer that question first.

What do you enjoy doing? What made you start thinking about the Navy? The obvious difference with the Navy is the ocean angle. Is that what you find interesting? Do you like doing physical things? Being outdoors? Mechanical things?

The military has jobs that are related to fighting wars, of course, but it also has just about any job a civilian would do, from clerical to medicine. You need to narrow down your choices first.

Do you think you want a military career, or are you thinking of service as a way to get more education?

Does your school have a guidance counselor? If not, ask your favorite teacher how to get the service recruiters to come to the school. You may find you are not the only one who is interested.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:09 PM

4,445 posts, read 5,169,495 times
If I were you, I would look for another military female on CD who can tell you things the recruiter probably won't want to talk about. It can be really rough for a young female because of other females as well as males, especially when you don't have a lot of life experience.

Please continue to research and think seriously about your future. You have a lot of time ahead of you and the choices you make now will effect you for the rest of your life. As a mom, I pray you will get all the education you can while you are young as it get harder the older you get. An education is something no one can take away from you.

Best wishes to you and keep us posted.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:03 AM

2,379 posts, read 4,283,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
If I were you, I would look for another military female on CD who can tell you things the recruiter probably won't want to talk about. It can be really rough for a young female because of other females as well as males, especially when you don't have a lot of life experience.

Please continue to research and think seriously about your future. You have a lot of time ahead of you and the choices you make now will effect you for the rest of your life. As a mom, I pray you will get all the education you can while you are young as it get harder the older you get. An education is something no one can take away from you.

Best wishes to you and keep us posted.
I agree - being a woman in the military can be very difficult. When I joined the Marine Corps (late 90's) I think that the Corps was only about 2% women. I can't tell you how many people I met who didn't even think there were women in Corps. I wore my dress blues home and was mistaken (more than once on the same trip) as a flight attendant!

I'm not big on enclosed spaces and get a wee bit of motion sickness so the Navy was a no-go for me.

Honestly - if you can try and get a couple of semesters of community college - I think you'd only need 5 or 6 three hour courses to pick up E2. I think if you can bank even more you can go in at E3? That - esp as a woman - is the way to go. My college credits gave me a little more rank than the other Marines in my MOS school and the advanced courses I was selected for beyond that. Which made me squad leader, etc.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:47 AM

5,162 posts, read 10,475,839 times
Quote:
Can you wait a few more years and finish some college education ?
The more education, the better chances for a good job in any Armed Forces Service. You might even like joining the Air Force ?
I would not recommend Marines.
Navy ? Maybe, if you like being in a no windows environment !
Army, maybe if you get into the medical field! Look into the field of anesthesiology.

Nothing *wrong* with willing to serve your country, but do not go there as a last resort !!

Old 01-11-2012, 11:02 AM

24,130 posts, read 38,871,775 times
Quote:
I want to join the navy.. But i want to know the differents betweeen the navy, marines, and army.
Go through each one of these web sites, then go talk to all the recruiters...

Good luck to you!

Rich

Old 01-11-2012, 11:03 AM

5 posts, read 12,716 times
First things first getting into the military now is going to be very very difficult. You need to be an upper (very intelligent) and even then that doesn't mean you won't end up as a chef - if that is the only available billet. My daughter is active duty Navy and I have to disagree with the previous poster about it being a windowless environment.....she is on a frigate and fixing to go to the Med for 7 months. My husband on the other hand has 21 years in as a submariner....definitely a windowless environment. The first thing I recommend is going to each branch websites and looking at what jobs they offer, etc. If you can get some college in that would be great and very beneficial. My daughter entered the Navy as an E2 because she had college credit.
We have done recruiting duty twice and right now I am glad we aren't on it anymore. It is tough. Also, at each branch site you can see where they have offices AND a recruiter will come to your house if that is not a problem for your parents. If your parents aren't going to agree you might as well wait until your 18th birthday. You will need their consent to process at MEPS prior to your 18th birthday.
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues