U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 10:39 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,760,534 times

Advertisements

As a retired military officer, who has since spent time as a substitute teacher in special ed, I can't see an Asperger lasting very long in the military. But I suppose it's possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 11:18 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,976,486 times
^^^^^^What BLS2753 said! I've been following this thread and shaking my head. Bless your heart for wanting the best for your child, but the premise that the military is so structured that he or she would flourish there is a false premise. At the most, boot camp or basic is about as structured as it will get and even there you must be flexible and able to quickly (emphasis on quick) adjust to changing situations.

For the most part the military is an "Armed" Force. Do you really want to jeopardize your child and the loved ones of others with someone who may marginally be okay - Sorry but this is foolish talk!!

I commend you for wanting the best for your child, perhaps he/she would do much better in some of the Community Organizing fields that is needed to get America's underserved communities some needed support.

BTW, I'm a retired Navy Officer and IMHO this would do great harm to the good order of the unit.

Last edited by MovingAloha; 08-22-2012 at 11:27 AM..

Old 08-22-2012, 11:48 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,289,378 times
I believe so, I have encountered 3 thus far.

Honestly all three have been Navy service members.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
I believe so, I have encountered 3 thus far.

Honestly all three have been Navy service members.
I obviously have no pull or authority in the situation, but as a former Recruiter, I would not proceed with their recruitment if I found out. Not questioning your veracity, but, I have serious doubts the folks you mention are truly Austistic! There are varying levels, I understand, but to my understanding the level of requirement to have a fair amount of routine to their day to day activities would not be well suited in the military, especially those forces that deal with combat activities - which is most of them as you know. Even women today are now intrinsically involved in combatant forces in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
I obviously have no pull or authority in the situation, but as a former Recruiter, I would not proceed with their recruitment if I found out. Not questioning your veracity, but, I have serious doubts the folks you mention are truly Austistic! There are varying levels, I understand, but to my understanding the level of requirement to have a fair amount of routine to their day to day activities would not be well suited in the military, especially those forces that deal with combat activities - which is most of them as you know. Even women today are now intrinsically involved in combatant forces in Afghanistan and Iraq.
Actually I was referring to a post about the MP (slightly Austistic I believe) Good to hear you were once a recruiter.

Many service members never see Afgan or Iraq.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Actually I was referring to a post about the MP (slightly Austistic I believe) Good to hear you were once a recruiter.

Many service members never see Afgan or Iraq.
My apoliges, for the confusion! You are correct about few seeing Afghan and Iraq duty - Thank God! But my assertion remains that I find it hard to believe an austistic service member would function well in the military. But I will concede, I am not a medical expert and I can possibly be proven wrong.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
My apoliges, for the confusion! You are correct about few seeing Afghan and Iraq duty - Thank God! But my assertion remains that I find it hard to believe an austistic service member would function well in the military. But I will concede, I am not a medical expert and I can possibly be proven wrong.
No worries brother! I couldn't believe my eyes or ears as I again personally encounter 3 Sailors that should have their medical records re-screened. Honestly I thought one guy was playing a joke on me, as we conversed over time I realized this guy was seriously austistic or close as possible to austistic a servicemember can be.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
No worries brother! I couldn't believe my eyes or ears as I again personally encounter 3 Sailors that should have their medical records re-screened. Honestly I thought one guy was playing a joke on me, as we conversed over time I realized this guy was seriously austistic or close as possible to austistic a servicemember can be.
God! That should not have happened or been allowed to continue. I spent over 24 years and never encountered that particular problem. Some of my sailors and officers had other issues. I did come across an Officer who made it through college and a three years in the Navy who was illiterate - he had done an amazing job of faking for all those years.

BTW, its Sister!!

Old 04-02-2013, 01:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,769 times
Melaniej65, what is the name and the location of the recruiter that your son spoke to ?

Old 04-02-2013, 06:45 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,969,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutisticAmerican 24 View Post
Melaniej65, what is the name and the location of the recruiter that your son spoke to ?
It has been some years since he enlisted so I do not remember the name of the Recruiter but he enlisted out of Elizabethtown, KY since we were Stationed at Ft Knox when he graduated H.S.R

I believe that the location of the Recruiter has moved (still in E-town but newer location). This was also when Ft. Knox was still Armor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues