U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 08:03 AM

2 posts, read 453 times

Advertisements

My son is on the Spectrum and is currently in the US Army. He's been in almost 2yrs. He disclosed to his Sq leader that he is Autistic and since then his leadership is on a quest to discharge him. He has done every thing asked, required, and is a exemplary soldier. They have generated baseless medical profiles with the intent to get him Chaptered without his knowledge. Their attempt failed when the Army Surgeon General disapproved their discharge package.

We are in the process of filing a Congressional. Any advise would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 09:09 AM

24,083 posts, read 38,758,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascreary View Post
They have generated baseless medical profiles with the intent to get him Chaptered without his knowledge. Their attempt failed when the Army Surgeon General disapproved their discharge package.

We are in the process of filing a Congressional. Any advise would be appreciated
If the Army Surgeon General disapproved their discharge package...

Why are you considering a "Congressional"...

I have filed several/many IG complaints in my 22+ years of active duty. I almost always got a satisfactory response.

This may help you:
Congressional Inquiries

and

Congressional Assistance

Old 09-11-2018, 09:56 AM

3,806 posts, read 2,882,854 times
The general profile of someone with high functioning autism is a person with average to above average intelligence but with a deficit in social skills. We had a relative who fit this profile and did quite well in the Coast Guard. They seem to do well in a highly structured environment like the military. Since they do not spend so much time on socializing they have a higher ability than some to concentrate on job requirements and details.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:55 AM

3,176 posts, read 9,190,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascreary View Post
My son is on the Spectrum and is currently in the US Army. He's been in almost 2yrs. He disclosed to his Sq leader that he is Autistic and since then his leadership is on a quest to discharge him. He has done every thing asked, required, and is a exemplary soldier. They have generated baseless medical profiles with the intent to get him Chaptered without his knowledge. Their attempt failed when the Army Surgeon General disapproved their discharge package.

Did he disclose his diagnosis on his medical forms with his recruiter and at MEPS? If so, he would have had a waiver to join, and if not that's likely a fraudulent enlistment and the situation could end up much worse for him if there is an investigation.

Page 44 of the Departement of Defense Instruction says you can not serve with Autism Spectrum Disorder.

Since hew as able to get a waiver, my advise would be to let it go, and not fight, lest he ends up with fraudulent enlistment charges.

I can't imagine how he was able to join unless he hid his diagnosis. I'd leave well-enough alone now that he has been ruled as allowed to stay in.

Old 09-27-2018, 06:06 AM

2 posts, read 453 times
If he would be left to serve and do his job that would be great. However they still kept the baseless restriction on his profile which prohibits him to do his job. That tells me they are going find some other angle. I have 32 years myself and I believe this is the only way to ensure that my son will be able to do his job and serve his country.

Old 09-27-2018, 06:30 PM

3,176 posts, read 9,190,248 times
I understand that, I'm just trying to find the basis for the complaint.

Did he disclose the diagnosis and it was waivered for entry? If so, you probably have a case. But I'm confused because if this was waived I don't know how they have any basis for kicking him out.

If he hid the diagnosis you have no case because he enlisted under fraudulent circumstances.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 122 times
My dad is general and my son has an Asperger as well.He wants to be a medic in Navy. His GPA is 4.00. He can quote the entire page from the biology book. When my husband died he gave CPR and he carried him in his arms when he was 10 without a minute hesitation. He carried 210 lbs man in his arms while I am crying and waiting for the ambulance. Kids with mental disabilities must be analyzed unique to their situation. Asperger kids who have high functioning Autism has a very unique skill set that anybody with good mental health doesn't have. Their brain functions at a level that we can't even function at that level. They can't empathy others feelings. However, they are extremely cool and relax in extremely difficult situations. They are very goal and end result oriented and very OCD about their end-results. They are extremely perfectionist and hard on themselves. They don't leave any man behind If it is been told them. They like structure, very organized and don't give up easily if it is their area of interest. Bill Gate has an Asperger. So should he be discriminated because he has an Asperger???? I am sorry but generalization doesn't work. If the military will keep itself as the best military in the world, it should keep up its procedures as well. Thomas Jefferson, Sir Issac Newton, and Steve Jobs have High Functioning Autism. So you claim they do not belong to the military as well??? Your opinion based on the generalization, not scientific nor activity based. The military should know better.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:55 AM

425 posts, read 209,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
I'm a parent with a child on the spectrum, asperger's,and many parents on one support board have posed the question if their child can join the military. Many parents are reluctant to just ask a recruiter as some consider hiding the dx.

Does anyone here have specific knowledge as to whether someone with asperger's is denied entry into the armed forces based merely on their dx?

Thanks for any input!
This question is really two questions:

1. Can someone join the military with high functioning autism or similar (e.g. Asperger's)?
2. Can someone be "allowed" to join with openly disclosed high functioning autism or similar (e.g. Asperger's)?

The answer to 1. is clearly yes. Many have (knowingly or not) and done well. 2. is complete up to the medical professional qualifying the potential recruit. A recruiter is not qualified to answer yes or no.

Old 09-28-2018, 06:23 PM

24,083 posts, read 38,758,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrksjr1 View Post
He wants to be a medic in Navy.
Then he needs to go see a Navy Recruiter...

Old 09-28-2018, 10:57 PM

5,817 posts, read 3,106,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrksjr1 View Post
He wants to be a medic in Navy.

No such thing as a medic in the navy. In the navy you're a corpsman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues