Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 02:38 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
You mean to tell me that they are diagnosing people with Asperger's who are simply shy and geeky? This whole thing is even more out of hand than I, a tremendous skeptic, realized.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
1. Do you believe everything you read on the internet?

2. What do you believe to be "out of hand"?
Rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
quote: 1. Do you believe everything you read on the internet?
Are you trying to be insulting?[COLOR="DarkRed")"]quote:2. What do you believe to be "out of hand"?[/color]

How can I make my point more obvious?
You came through loud & clear to me & I obviously do not speak for the poster Poncho but the question you were asked about believing everything you read online might have been more of an observation than a question.

Being a “tremendous skeptic” about ASD rates is a very good indication that the propaganda is working as hoped:

If autism is being overdiagnosed, then autism rates aren’t really rising. If autism rates aren’t “really” rising, then we don’t need to worry about what is causing autism! So, in the 1985, when the rate of Autism was 1 in
2,500, as compared to 1 in 5,000 in 1975? We were just better at diagnosing.

We were REALLY good at diagnosing in 1995, because by then the rate of autism was 1 in 500. And super extra-awesome at diagnosing in 2004 when the rate rose to 1 in 150! In fact, we were SO good at diagnosing that the diagnostic criteria for autism was scrambled so that it would make it broader & more vague.

So nobody is getting diagnosed with Aspergers right now. At all. It disappeared as a diagnosis in 2013 from the DSM. We are all just delightfully spectrumy.

Today, 1 in every 59 children is autistic & those rates, btw; are not calculated per diagnosis but per measurable impact, so diagnosis is irrelevant.

Last edited by coschristi; 09-29-2018 at 03:05 AM.. Reason: Too tired & making mistakes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 03:27 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrksjr1 View Post
My dad is general and my son has an Asperger as well.He wants to be a medic in Navy. His GPA is 4.00. He can quote the entire page from the biology book. When my husband died he gave CPR and he carried him in his arms when he was 10 without a minute hesitation. He carried 210 lbs man in his arms while I am crying and waiting for the ambulance. Kids with mental disabilities must be analyzed unique to their situation. Asperger kids who have high functioning Autism has a very unique skill set that anybody with good mental health doesn't have. Their brain functions at a level that we can't even function at that level. They can't empathy others feelings. However, they are extremely cool and relax in extremely difficult situations. They are very goal and end result oriented and very OCD about their end-results. They are extremely perfectionist and hard on themselves. They don't leave any man behind If it is been told them. They like structure, very organized and don't give up easily if it is their area of interest. Bill Gate has an Asperger. So should he be discriminated because he has an Asperger???? I am sorry but generalization doesn't work. If the military will keep itself as the best military in the world, it should keep up its procedures as well. Thomas Jefferson, Sir Issac Newton, and Steve Jobs have High Functioning Autism. So you claim they do not belong to the military as well??? Your opinion based on the generalization, not scientific nor activity based. The military should know better.
No one on this page is saying they shouldn't be able to serve, we're saying they aren't allowed to. It is prohibited by DoD Regulation 6130.03. It is, like, actually and factually prohibited by the Department of Defense. None of our opinions matter.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 4,586 times
My son was diagnosed with "mild aspergers" he is a senior in HS and has a genius IQ. He scored a 92 on the military test they give and now every recruiter is texting him! He is considering the Air National Guard to help pay for college and I was told he would be chosen for an INTEL job. I do not think the active duty would be the place for him. He does need to grow up more because he can be very lazy at getting his rear out of bed (normal teen stuff). He wants to be a Music professor when he graduated. I am an USAF brat and will only let him go that way. I do not know if I should mention the AS to the recruiter or not?

Old 11-09-2018, 06:37 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
If HE doesn't mention the AS to the recruiter and he struggles in BMT or tech school and they figure it out, he can be fraudulently discharged. When they do his security clearance, they often also talk to friends and family, so it could come up that way as well.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:23 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I’d venture to guess that, before every other kid was diagnosed as, “On the spectrum “, many successful members of the military were autistic. To bad he has an official diagnosis. If he’s asked the direct question, he’ll need to be truthful, but otherwise, I wouldn’t mention it.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:07 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’d venture to guess that, before every other kid was diagnosed as, “On the spectrum “, many successful members of the military were autistic. To bad he has an official diagnosis. If he’s asked the direct question, he’ll need to be truthful, but otherwise, I wouldn’t mention it.
I didn’t know I had Aspergers when I served in the Navy from 1990-1998. It was bad for me until I found my niche. On ships there’s a position within each division called the DCPO, or division damage control petty officer. It’s suppose to go to the person in the vision who is a reliable hard worker with attention to detail and able to work with little to no supervision. It’s usually given to a petty officer the division deems worthless to the division and had the job to him just to get him out of the way. I happened to be both. I was a lousy machinist mate. Good at standing watch but not much else. Once I was given the DCPO position, I excelled. My duties were expanded to include B-division’s DCPO. Never got hit on a major inspection of my gear and all my firefighting equipment worked when needed. When I took over as B-division’s DCPO I found PKP extinguishers with punctured CO2 cartridges, rock hard chemical powder useless in a fire (extinguisher was located on the boiler flats where a torch dipped in fuel oil is lighted and inserted to light fires in the boilers). Also found stripped nuts for water tight hatches, battler lantern batteries so old they crumbled to a powder then dropped to the deck, and gaskets to water tight fittings (doors, hatches, and scuttles) needing full replacement. I also found fire hose coupling gaskets cut through from people using spammers to tighten the couplings thus causing serious hose leaks. Even received a letter of commendation for my work. They asked why I worked so hard on this job and I told them I wanted to leave the ship alive. To me that commendation is recognition that my firefighting gear worked every time it was needed.

Old 11-11-2018, 11:00 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I didn’t know I had Aspergers when I served in the Navy...
Little was know about it, and by just a few. It wasn't a consideration for high school class selection or college acceptance. If you could produce, you were in.

When my son was being tested and interviewed by a psychologist, neurologist, a social worker/therapist, and a developmental pediatrician to see if he could get an IEP, a couple of them told me that I should be tested. Apparently, I have an Abby Normal brain.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:50 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Can high functioning autistic's join the military?

DOD INSTRUCTION 6130.03
MEDICAL STANDARDS FOR APPOINTMENT, ENLISTMENT, OR
INDUCTION INTO THE MILITARY SERVICES
Effective: May 6, 2018

Autism spectrum disorders. were mentioned under 5.28. LEARNING, PSYCHIATRIC, AND BEHAVIORAL DISORDERS.

Read on if need be: https://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmotc...0.03_JUL12.pdf

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 11-12-2018 at 08:26 AM..

Old 11-12-2018, 08:18 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Little was know about it, and by just a few. It wasn't a consideration for high school class selection or college acceptance. If you could produce, you were in.

When my son was being tested and interviewed by a psychologist, neurologist, a social worker/therapist, and a developmental pediatrician to see if he could get an IEP, a couple of them told me that I should be tested. Apparently, I have an Abby Normal brain.
Abby something. Abby Normal. Miss you Marty Feldman.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,473 times
A lot of us got in without giving our entire medical history. I can't believe you posted that, if we all told every illness, every allergy, childhood diagnoses like asthma, back problems, leg braces, etc no one would be fighting for our country. There is not a perfect human structure without any kind of illness, disability, alergy, mental or physical out there. Hell, if they actually did that **** during WW1, WW2 and Vietnam we would have never had soldiers to honor that came before us. Yeah we all come back a little, a bit, a lot ****ed up. Get over it! It's called war! Fight for your country! All men and now woman pick up your arms and fight! It doesn't say only the able by specific standards! Go back in history ALL FOUGHT REGARDLESS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues